MacBook Keeps Freezing

Aye I was hoping that might have done the trick, hopefully the genius will know what the heck is going on. :/

If you haven't already taken it in, I would highly recommend reseating the components as well. Also clean the inside of any dust. Overheating can cause all these issues but so can a failing hard drive, faulty ram, etc...

I'm not a hardware guy so I don't really feel comfortable opening the MacBook up. I turned it on today (after 6-8 hours), and crashed instantly. I don't think I wanna touch it now. Don't wanna make it worse. Sigh.

I'm not a hardware guy so I don't really feel comfortable opening the MacBook up. I turned it on today (after 6-8 hours), and crashed instantly. I don't think I wanna touch it now. Don't wanna make it worse. Sigh.

Well at least now you're almost guaranteed to show them what's happening if it's getting that bad... right? Still, I find this very bizarre. Please let us know what the outcome of all this is.

Hey guys, I dropped it off on Saturday. Explained to them what I've basically said in this thread so far. The Apple guy did a quick hard drive scan but that was successfully passed. He said they'd like to keep it for further testing. I haven't heard back from them yet. Is that normal? Or should I give them a call and check what's up?

Yeah if they haven't mentioned anything to you yet, then give them a call to ask for the status. Normally once something is diagnosed, it should only take a day or two to repair... so it must still be in the "we can't find a problem yet" phase.

Hey guys,

Got it back today. Phoned them today and they said it was ready to be picked up. But turns out, it was actually ready the next day (Sunday). But I never received a call, nor any message on voicemail. Disappointment #1. Now, I asked the guy who brought me the MacBook what did they do to it, and he said they replaced the hard drive, which is a bit weird considering I'm out of warranty. So I don't know if they actually replaced the hard drive or maybe did some fixing to it. No charges at all, that's why it was a little surprising. I turned it on when I got home, and first think I noticed was that 'Macintosh HD' was renamed to 'boot 10.6.1'. I checked what OS version it's running and it is indeed 10.6.1. There's also a folder there 'home (from Old Mac' but I guess I can delete that since nothing is in it? Also, you know how you can hit 'Return/Enter' and rename a folder? I can't seem to do that anymore either.

Now, I'm not sure whether I should update it to 10.6.3 because it could've been a software problem. That's my disappointment #2 because I never really found out the ACTUAL problem. Maybe it was the software.

Time to test it out and see. Hope everything is fixed. Good to see it's back though.

Cheers.

Very odd scenario you're going through... Honestly I don't know what to say. I hope the problem is fixed though, and if it is, then I would recommend looking into a cloning tool like Carbon Copy Cloner to make a bootable (and restorable) backup of your current drive's state so that you can freely attempt to upgrade to a newer version of OS X without worrying about introducing possible problems. That's what I do before every system update so that I can always fall back on it and restore the drive to the clone's state if something goes wrong.

And it's not that uncommon for Apple to replace certain parts even if its not covered by the warranty.. so long as it's not a big deal.

i have apple had replace parts for me for no charge even out of warrenty. It might be that the hdd is physically fine but there was a problem with the firmware. Perhaps it's worth reinstalling from scratch so you know you have a clean OS with the updates and apps you want to have installed.

Let us know if it fixes the problem :)

Alright guys, I'll look into that. Thanks!

Any idea why I can't rename folders? :wacko:

I can rename files but not folders. Odd.

Have you checked the folder/file permissions and your login credentials under the "Accounts" pref pane?

Dahr, If I right click a folder, it does say 'Read & Write' under Sharing & Permissions.

Xtreme $niper, ok, I guess I can try to do that.

DKcomputers, sorry, I'm not following what you said. =/

Did you ever Reinstall a FRESH clean install of Snow Leopard? Or no? I would try that. Format the drive, install SL and just install all the updates, reboot if you need to and try it that way, just use the basics. It very well could be some software that isn't playing nice with SL. That should also maybe fix the renaming files problem.

Alright guys, I'll look into that. Thanks!

Any idea why I can't rename folders? :wacko:

I can rename files but not folders. Odd.

Strange, is there an error?

edit: sorry to slow, ignore me :p