• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Grape theme added

shakey    1,127

Top right, the three balls. The opposite of Hitler's problem.

3 sea shells?

unintentional    0

Top right, the three balls. The opposite of Hitler's problem.

AH! Thank you!!! :D

I've actively participated on other forums before but I think this one uses a different settings engine, as I find myself unfamiliar with changing such basic settings.

Long live Neowin and theming. LOL.

Electric Jolt    12

Wow, I know a theme that needs to be more subtle!

The key to a winning theme is to begin with 2 different colors (for instance blue and yellow) and add a neutral color (black, white, or gray). This one is plain purple, purplish, and purpler. It kills :s

You guys are lucky that blue Atlas is magnificent by the way, because it has just one color (blue). At least it has a lot of white :)

We've never tried to base our look on applications or current trends, there are too many other sites out there that do this.. Plus we now have more color variations than ever before and a dark one that was never possible before. I dunno.. some people just can't be pleased!

This is what I meant. The color you use to theme is just really plain... It doesn't glow at all... Look at this random purple image I found by searching on Google Images. The purple in that picture looks so much more alive. The Grape theme doesn't suffer as much as the Brown and Black themes though. In previous themes before Finity+Ignition, the themes were so plain it was unbelievable and now themes are getting much better. The black theme uses a black Neowin logo and does not use a dark black bar on the top, it just looks dark... You did good in Darkside with the blue Neowin logo, you brought it alive by having the logo stand out from that darkness. Now where you go wrong in the black theme is you use too much darkened elements and not enough black. The sides are dark but not black, and the color is terrible. Same with the brown theme, you have a brown Neowin logo and you have brown sides. It's not that great. I know that is the whole point of the theme, lol, a brown theme has brown everything, but still, it looks like you turned Neowin into a poop-color. :p

If I was designing Neowin, I would use more colors, and I would design to a minimum. A brown theme should not make everything brown, but it should change the top bar to that color, and have everything else match it. I also do agree a white theme would be good, but as long as it looks like msn.com and not too white. In Windows Live Wave 3, changing the theme changes the top bar to a design, and that's all that really changes, still keeping it very professional. It does still change things, but the white look remains. Here at Neowin, the sides change to that color and make it seem to be too obnoxious to use for everyday use. As far as the Neowin logo goes, it needs to be able to better adapt to that color, the brown makes it look like Neowin Poopy Edition. :/ It should be a glossy brown that glows, not some smeared on brown. :)

AJerman    761

My eyes!

I appreciate all the hard work that went into the new theme, but... ugh. Not my colour. I'll stick to midnight.

+1 on everything you said, haha. I can't find myself using anything but Midnight.

• Like 1

Steven P.    13,402

This is what I meant. The color you use to theme is just really plain... It doesn't glow at all... Look at this random purple image I found by searching on Google Images. The purple in that picture looks so much more alive. The Grape theme doesn't suffer as much as the Brown and Black themes though. In previous themes before Finity+Ignition, the themes were so plain it was unbelievable and now themes are getting much better. The black theme uses a black Neowin logo and does not use a dark black bar on the top, it just looks dark... You did good in Darkside with the blue Neowin logo, you brought it alive by having the logo stand out from that darkness. Now where you go wrong in the black theme is you use too much darkened elements and not enough black. The sides are dark but not black, and the color is terrible. Same with the brown theme, you have a brown Neowin logo and you have brown sides. It's not that great. I know that is the whole point of the theme, lol, a brown theme has brown everything, but still, it looks like you turned Neowin into a poop-color. :p

If I was designing Neowin, I would use more colors, and I would design to a minimum. A brown theme should not make everything brown, but it should change the top bar to that color, and have everything else match it. I also do agree a white theme would be good, but as long as it looks like msn.com and not too white. In Windows Live Wave 3, changing the theme changes the top bar to a design, and that's all that really changes, still keeping it very professional. It does still change things, but the white look remains. Here at Neowin, the sides change to that color and make it seem to be too obnoxious to use for everyday use. As far as the Neowin logo goes, it needs to be able to better adapt to that color, the brown makes it look like Neowin Poopy Edition. :/ It should be a glossy brown that glows, not some smeared on brown. :)

I don't know if you use Windows Live Messenger, but the way I see it, that has theme color variations too (quite a few) and I'm using the default light blue one atm.. it is even more subtle than what we do, the violet one uses the same sort of hue as well.. so I guess its just down to taste.. kthnxbye

P.S. Mockups of your ideas are welcome btw.

Sub_Zero_Alchemist    29

Great Job on the Grape Theme. Thanks, this is already my favorite.

swuzzlebum    11

oh god i can see forever

and it's purple.

david    51

Ouch

Atlas Grape linked to Mephistopheles's FTW

+Anarkii    2,249

I like! I like ALOT :D

Soldiers33    139

damn thats ugly, its just right in your face.

Techno_Funky    18

Schweeet. I'm using it. Got tired of the blue. Now I'll be waiting on a neon pink. :whistle:

Oh god no!!... this is hideous enough already :x

Colin-uk    134

Schweeet. I'm using it. Got tired of the blue. Now I'll be waiting on a neon pink. :whistle:

i'll just leave this here :whistle:

881237490.png

:shifty:

gigapixels    99

881237490.png

That color scheme is fail :whistle:

+Frank B.    7,149

881237490.png

Don't do it. Tell gigapixels not to do it. UGH.

RoomKid    15

881237490.png

Justin Bieber would love using that theme :sleep:

Jamushroom    201

I'm wondering why the logo on the front page hasn't changed. It's probably no intended so I'd like to report this as a bug :p

I must add though that the revamped logo looks a lot better on Atlas compared to the previous logo :)

riceBox    100

It burns my eyes :no:

Unimatrix Xero    37

not toally keen on it but the missus likes it

dead.cell    4,196

Don't do it. Tell gigapixels not to do it. UGH.

Because adding a theme I won't use will kill me!!!

:rofl:

+Frank B.    7,149

Because adding a theme I won't use will kill me!!!

:rofl:

That's not the point. A pink site theme simply is not suitable for a respectable website like Neowin. :p

Calum    819

That's not the point. A pink site theme simply is not suitable for a respectable website like Neowin. :p

Only the real men love pink ;) :p

+Frank B.    7,149

Only the real men love pink ;) :p

gigapixel posted this on IRC earlier.

pinkwtf.png

Do you really want to let him go there?

swuzzlebum    11

gigapixel posted this on IRC earlier.

pinkwtf.png

Do you really want to let him go there?

YES.

I am quoting this so I can look at it twice. : D