"Windicators" coming to Ubuntu

some thoughts from a kde dev: http://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/2010/05/open-letter-the-issues-with-client-side-window-decorations/

also check out the other articles on his blog.

Sounds like he missing part of the idea. From what I can see in this thread, they want the application to be able to add little widgets to the window title and NOT make it completely done by the application like he's talking about

And what if the users decide to, ya know, put the window buttons back on the RIGHT where they belong?

Just because Windows has them on the right starting with Windows 95 doesn't mean they "belong there" on every operating system.

The left makes sense for the window buttons but what I don't understand is why the windicators aren't there as well. Doesn't it make more sense to centralize everything you would want to click to one corner of the screen? It has always seemed weird to me that gnome has the "start" button and the taskbar on the top and the window bar on the bottom. Most applications have all their controls to the top left and just use the bottom for display only things like status bars.

Sounds like he missing part of the idea. From what I can see in this thread, they want the application to be able to add little widgets to the window title and NOT make it completely done by the application like he's talking about

Yeah this was my understanding of windicators as well. I'll test em out when they hit maverick alpha/beta and form my own opinion of them :)

I have a bit of hard time understanding the concept. So basically they are like Menu Extras items (Mac OS X) that can change on a per application basis? I'm guessing system-wide stuff like date/time will still be always visible?

I have a bit of hard time understanding the concept. So basically they are like Menu Extras items (Mac OS X) that can change on a per application basis? I'm guessing system-wide stuff like date/time will still be always visible?

They are trying to phase out the main notification area completely afiak.