Holy ****; Just changed from one router/modem to another

New router from ISP alot slower than old router from 3rd party

Hey

This is a continuation from this thread: http://www.neowin.ne...dem-to-another/

Ill start from the start of me getting internet access I have 3 MB on my contract.

My ISP gave me a router which was simple and worked OK for a while. I had 3 MB. Because I wanted some extra features and longer wireless access, I got a DD-WRT router and another router/modem and used that to connect to the internet. Everything was going great/fine but it would seem that every now and then, I would lose internet access (fault of the router/modem because its link would go off). I called my ISP up to ask them about this but they dont give tech support to non ISP equipment. So I tried to get the original router my ISP gave me and just bridge it. My original router did not work (did not turn on) so I contacted my ISP again and asked them for a new router since mine broke. Several days later, my new router arrived (different model and manu) and I had trouble even connecting to it: (see: http://www.neowin.ne...11-on-a-router/ ) . I called up my ISP and it seemed that we entered Safe Mode, then it could be accessed. From that point on, it could also be accessed in normal mode (strange). Anyways, the original thread as stated commented that browsing speeds were amazing yet my download speed is just 1.5 MB. My speed has NEVER dropped so much.

Right now my config is the new router/modem they sent me bridged to the DD-WRT router which gives me 1.5 MB.

So now what should I do?

I changed from a router/modem that I personally bought to one given to me by my ISP and my browsing speed is now alot faster. Strangely, I only get 1.5 MB while I was hitting 2 MB-2.5 MB on downloads with the other one but Im guessing that a turning off/on the router/modem will fix that.

Anyone have any similar expirences?

Resetted the router and still 1.5 MB. Strange.

Ill have to troubleshoot this as I cant be getting half of what I paid for.

brand and model of old and new modem-router?

Probably different chipset in the modem compared to your ISPs DSLAM..

Known issue with Broadcom DSLAM and non broadcom modems... can usually address this by having ISP modify the INP Impulse noise protection value for you...

The old one: SMC7904WBRA2

The new one: Sagam Fast 2604

Probably different chipset in the modem compared to your ISPs DSLAM..

Known issue with Broadcom DSLAM and non broadcom modems... can usually address this by having ISP modify the INP Impulse noise protection value for you...

Any way to solve this in understandable terms? :p

Then it's time for a call to your ISP. :)

Problem is that I doubt they will know what I am talking about....

What should I explain to them? :)

Read your ISP's TOS. You aren't paying for a guaranteed sustained top speed. You are paying for access up to a certain top speed, with no guarantees of any sustained speed or of even reaching that top speed.

Read your ISP's TOS. You aren't paying for a guaranteed sustained top speed. You are paying for access up to a certain top speed, with no guarantees of any sustained speed or of even reaching that top speed.

But here's the thing (actually here I believe I am guaranteed a 30%-40% of my contracted speed):

When using a unofficial router/modem, more days I hit, 2 MB (NEVER below) and the others I was hitting my contracted speed of 3MB

Now, using my ISP's router/modem, Im just getting 1.5 MB (barely).

BTW, upload is the same on the unofficial and ISP devices.

Wait... Am I reading this wrong?

Your own personally bought router worked better than the one the ISP gave you? No surprise there...

So why are you using the ISP's one?

Am I reading this wrong?

Why not just switch back to the old router if you were getting better speeds?

Sounds like a no-brainer to me, but maybe you've left something out.

Wait... Am I reading this wrong?

Your own personally bought router worked better than the one the ISP gave you? No surprise there...

So why are you using the ISP's one?

Am I reading this wrong?

No.

Yes, a router/modem I personally bought myself is working better than the one my ISP gave me. Why is it a surprise?

I am using the ISP's one because the connection kept on dropping. It would drop every 1 or 2 hours, especially at night, and not work for about 5 minutes or so.

No, you are not reading it wrong.

Why not just switch back to the old router if you were getting better speeds?

Sounds like a no-brainer to me, but maybe you've left something out.

The connection kept on dropping. It would drop every 1 or 2 hours, especially at night, and not work for about 5 minutes or so.

So that my problem at hand right now.

The connection kept on dropping. It would drop every 1 or 2 hours, especially at night, and not work for about 5 minutes or so.

Ah. See, you left that piece of information out in the original post. This makes more sense now.

Ah. See, you left that piece of information out in the original post. This makes more sense now.

Yea, but it still happens to the new router it seems so.......

Yes, a router/modem I personally bought myself is working better than the one my ISP gave me. Why is it a surprise?

Because they source the cheapest router's possible - whereas you probably bought a better one!

Yea, but it still happens to the new router it seems so.......

So you need to get onto your ISP.

Exactly what you've told us would be a start

Im going to make a new thread as this is another subject and a longer story. I hope to get this fixed :)

Thanks to everyone who has commented :)

Hey

This is a continuation from this thread: https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/897924-holy-%3B-just-changed-from-one-routermodem-to-another/

Ill start from the start of me getting internet access :) I have 3 MB on my contract.

My ISP gave me a router which was simple and worked OK for a while. I had 3 MB. Because I wanted some extra features and longer wireless access, I got a DD-WRT router and another router/modem and used that to connect to the internet. Everything was going great/fine but it would seem that every now and then, I would lose internet access (fault of the router/modem because its link would go off). I called my ISP up to ask them about this but they dont give tech support to non ISP equipment. So I tried to get the original router my ISP gave me and just bridge it. My original router did not work (did not turn on) so I contacted my ISP again and asked them for a new router since mine broke. Several days later, my new router arrived (different model and manu) and I had trouble even connecting to it: (see: https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/896438-cant-connect-to-19216811-on-a-router/ ) . I called up my ISP and it seemed that we entered Safe Mode, then it could be accessed. From that point on, it could also be accessed in normal mode (strange). Anyways, the original thread as stated commented that browsing speeds were amazing yet my download speed is just 1.5 MB. My speed has NEVER dropped so much.

Right now my config is the new router/modem they sent me bridged to the DD-WRT router which gives me 1.5 MB.

So now what should I do?

There was ZERO need for a new thread!

The subject of this one has NOTHING to do with the subject of the other one :)

This one has gone completely offtopic.

Try using public DNS, like OpenDNS or one of the many others.

My connection kept dropping out at night for no apparent reason until I switched dns servers on a whim. My service improved greatly and the connection doesn't drop nearly as often now.

I'm convinced someone at my ISP gets bored at night and starts fiddling with their dns servers just for something to do.

Try using public DNS, like OpenDNS or one of the many others.

My connection kept dropping out at night for no apparent reason until I switched dns servers on a whim. My service improved greatly and the connection doesn't drop nearly as often now.

I'm convinced someone at my ISP gets bored at night and starts fiddling with their dns servers just for something to do.

Did not know this. My DD-WRT has a option for OpenDNS.

Have any idea on how to set it up? :)