Definitive Best Browser Engine 3

496 members have voted

1. 1. Which browser engine do you like the best?

• Trident (Internet Explorer)
    • Gecko (Mozilla)
    • Presto (Opera)
    • KHTML (Konqueror)
    • Webkit (Safari, Chrome)

Seeing as the other thread was nearly two years old, I decided it was time to create a new poll. Hopefully the mods agree with me:whistle:

Please remember that this thread is not for browser discussion but engine discussion.

-- unintentional

where is option - non of them is good enough?

no such option exists, if you beg for one then you may get it.

I like more WebKit that others even if I use Firefox. But Gecko is good too.

I think Presto may be good too, but I don't like Opera enough to test it.

Trident need to die :p

I love the advancements with the Trident engine, though i don't know if the hardware acceleration is built into the engine, if it is, then that is awesome. The problem with Gecko now is that they have to borrow from Webkit to make a beter Javascript engine.

I'm a Firefox user(not planing to change) but I have to say Webkit's engine is wayyyy much better.

I voted for Webkit. It's raw speed and early (I mean EARLY) support for cool new CSS/HTML tricks is great. Standards aren't as tight as Presto, but I have never seen a problem (except on sites designed exclusively for IE6 and other horrible practices).;)

I personally like the Webkit engine the best, I really only use browsers that built around that (Safari & Chrome) on my Mac lately. I like the speed and way it renders, while also being lightning fast!

I've heard that the IE team is planning to switch to Webkit in version 9. How long has this rumour been around? I have read about it coming with IE8 in the past but this is just getting ridiculous. I would love Microsoft if they did switch though!

I'm a Firefox user(not planing to change) but I have to say Webkit's engine is wayyyy much better.

Same situation here. I am simply in a situation where all the extensions I use are essential to me.

Same situation here. I am simply in a situation where all the extensions I use are essential to me.

I totally understand. I had to give up a bunch of Firefox extensions to move to Chrome, but I'm happy I did. The majority of the extensions I had on FF either had feasible replacements or were features already implemented in Chrome.

If you're interested in trying a switch, the gurus over in the Google Chrome subforum would be more than happy to try to help you find replacements for things.

As for me, I have lobbied for Firefox to adopt Webkit since the first few years of its existence. I would seriously consider going back if they did.

Gecko(Firefox 3.6.4)

I tried Opera 10.53(installed atm) but it felted slower than FF sometimes. Haven't tried Chrome yet. Waiting for new stable to be released to try it out.

I've heard that the IE team is planning to switch to Webkit in version 9. How long has this rumour been around? I have read about it coming with IE8 in the past but this is just getting ridiculous. I would love Microsoft if they did switch though!

They are already in the process of updating Trident for the latest version of IE. The Developer Previews all use a new version that is actually catching up to other Webkit browsers in performance.

Hm. What people don't know is that the browser -engine- isn't the most important thing for speed, but rather the Javascript thing. For Chrome for example, this is V8. The one Mozilla is working on for Firefox is TraceMonkey.

WebKit, I have no doubt. Used Chrome since it was first available on Windows, and then swapped to Safari when I moved to OS X. I love the WebKit Inspector, the speed's great and it has lots of other neat things in it.