Lady Gaga ripped off the 90s group Ace of Base.

Watch this first:

then watch:

I mean this is nearly as bad, if not worse than Vanilla Ice stealing some of the rifts by Queen's Under Pressure.

Edited by Fred Derf

Even though it sounds similar there is a reason. Gaga used a sample from Ace of Base. So no, he/she didn't rip them off.

This is called sampling. I am sure her producers got the licensing agreement so it really isn't an issue and should not make her look bad. Her music already does that...

• Like 2

Minifig, Lady Gaga used a sample from Ace Is Base, just like Vanilla Ice used a sample from Queen.

No 'rip-off' occurred in either circumstance. Sometimes artists use samples from other artists. An example is Chamillionnaire with 'Industry Groupie'; search it, you might be surprised ;)

Sometimes artists use samples from other songs without the getting permission though. For example, Run DMC used a riff from The Knack's 'My Sharona' in their song 'It's tricky'.

Whether or not the sample's legal is for each of the record companies to work out.

[...]

Whether or not the sample's legal is for each of the record companies to work out.

Exactly. There's no point in speculating that it isn't legitimate when it could well be (and probably is).

Minifig, Lady Gaga used a sample from Ace Is Base, just like Vanilla Ice used a sample from Queen.

Vanilla Ice didn't have permission. As a result, Queen took him to court, sued him for an undisclosed sum.. It was so much that it bankrupt him and put him back at square one. He now apparently owns a surfboard shop somewhere.

I'm hoping that Gaga did.

I don't know about ripping off, I mean I can KIND OF hear it however Lady Gaga's version is still pretty different. Other than every now and then in the song which has similarities I don't really see it.

Vanilla Ice didn't have permission. As a result, Queen took him to court, sued him for an undisclosed sum.. It was so much that it bankrupt him and put him back at square one. He now apparently owns a surfboard shop somewhere.

And tires to reignite his career by doing collaborations with the likes of Jedward. Pfft. rolleyes.gif

He might own a surfboard shop somewhere, but he's also still performing. I (accidentally) saw him live 2 years ago. We knew the club was doing a live set before we went, but we found out it was Vanilla Ice when we got there. He did a different version of Ice Ice Baby, but the Queen sample was still in it.

I don't know about ripping off, I mean I can KIND OF hear it however Lady Gaga's version is still pretty different. Other than every now and then in the song which has similarities I don't really see it.

Play both at the exact same time.

Ah, I didn't know that; how stupid of him. I apologise for my misinformation then.

Either way, I still think it's wrong to speculate that Lady Gaga and her record company didn't go through the correct channels and ripped off Ace Is Base.

Truthfully give the year that Vanilla Ice did his music and the year that Lady Gaga has.. I'd say it's entirely different in terms of what companies do when it comes to the legalities of music. You didn't read about record companies making a big stink out of the people that used to record music from the radio or trade mixtapes or the bootlegs that went out :p

Either way, there's no ripping involved when you sample stuff. Next, plz.

It's not even the same thing

It's different enough that I wouldn't think of "Don't turn around" when hearing Lady Gaga's song.

1) Sampling is not "Ripping off", samples are cleared or lawsuits follow.

2) Ace of Base in turn covered that song from Aswad who covered it from Tina Turner I think...