[Ubuntu 10.04] Installation Failed?

Used to use Ubuntu way back in Dapper, but haven't since then... I've been trying to dual-boot Ubuntu [Lucid] since yesterday, on a freshly wiped hard drive. I installed Windows 7 first, made sure to leave a good chunk of HDD space for Ubuntu.

Anyway, I've tried both the x64 and x86 ISOs, and they both give the same issue. During boot, I get an 'Installation Failed' message, telling me it's going into Live mode where I can diagnose or try again. If I try to install from Live mode, I can get to the keyboard/locale setup, and then the installation just hangs. I can close the program and still use Live mode, but nothing else happens. I left it for several hours and it still was stuck at that step.

Also tried booting from USB and all I get is a message 'Boot error.' and I have to reboot the computer.

Specs:

AMD Athlon64 3400+

3GB RAM

200GB HDD + 320 External

ATI HD Radeon 4670

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Used to use Ubuntu way back in Dapper, but haven't since then... I've been trying to dual-boot Ubuntu [Lucid] since yesterday, on a freshly wiped hard drive. I installed Windows 7 first, made sure to leave a good chunk of HDD space for Ubuntu.

Anyway, I've tried both the x64 and x86 ISOs, and they both give the same issue. During boot, I get an 'Installation Failed' message, telling me it's going into Live mode where I can diagnose or try again. If I try to install from Live mode, I can get to the keyboard/locale setup, and then the installation just hangs. I can close the program and still use Live mode, but nothing else happens. I left it for several hours and it still was stuck at that step.

Also tried booting from USB and all I get is a message 'Boot error.' and I have to reboot the computer.

Specs:

AMD Athlon64 3400+

3GB RAM

200GB HDD + 320 External

ATI HD Radeon 4670

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I had a similar issue once with a computer on the "I can get to the keyboard/locale setup, and then the installation just hangs." It's because the next step is the partitioning program, so it appears your hard drive may not be detected.

Have you tried the text based installer?

That's one of the ideas that I was having, but I originally used GParted [via Live] to set up my partitions before installing Windows. I can also access the hard drive and partitions through the filesystem and browser in the LiveCD, so I'm not sure what the issue is.

My next step was to try the text-based installer, I'm just waiting for that to finish downloading.

Most likely a longshot but is your mouse / keyboard connected via USB? I had MAJOR problems with Ubuntu 10.04.. after many a install it turned out that Ubuntu didn't like my mouse being connected with USB when I put the PS/2 adaptor on it worked fine. :pinch: Good luck though!

Edit: I also got that Boot Error message when I tried installing with a USB stick, irritating cos installing Windows Vista/7 has always installed fine that way.

Yeah, they're both USB connected. I don't actually have PS/2 connectors, so... blah, I'm hoping the text installer will work for me.

I have submitted a bug with Ubuntu 10.4 for this:

It would hang just after the keyboard select screen on the live and the boot install.

It turned out to be an SD Card in my card reader that was confusing it, removed the SD card and it installed no problem

Check for any USB device that might be seen as a drive during the install and remove it

I do not know if this is specific to drives / storage media, it could be any USB device causing the problem, try the install with no other drives or USB devices attached

Hmm, thanks. I've got a flash drive and an external drive connected, I'll give that a go and let you know what happens. Thanks again!

Hmm, thanks. I've got a flash drive and an external drive connected, I'll give that a go and let you know what happens. Thanks again!

Im betting on the flash drive being the problem, good luck

I disconnected all USB storage and tried both the regular and alt installers, and same thing happens. I noticed on the text-based one that it hangs right after the 'scanning hardware' bar. After that, it just gives a blank [blue] screen and nothing happens. Same issue with the GUI install--locks up after keyboard settings.

Have you tried different settings in the BIOS for the hard drive to IDE, SATA, AHCI

or even Set the BIOS to Fail Safe / Defaults ?

Also - when you made the Ubuntu partition, did you leave it as Unpartitioned space, or format it to NTFS / FAT32 ?

Try leaving it as unpartitioned space by deleting the partiton from in windows and leaving it deleted for the install

It's set as a partition, but it's not formatted under any specific format. I figured it'd be best to let the Ubuntu installer take care of that. I'll try deleting it and leaving it open, and see what happens. As for the BIOS settings... I haven't ever really toyed around with them other than changing the boot order. I'll check that out too.

Got it to install by tricking it, and unplugging the USB hub at the right moment,then plugging it back in.

There's another problem now though--the system seems to run incredibly slow, and I'm not sure why. Working on that.