Zen Cart vs oscommerce

Question

You know, I've been working on oscommerce stores forever. I was told to axe the store we have and put up a zen cart store. I know there are scripts out there that merge to two together automatically

but I really wanted to just look at it to learn the new system myself and see if I could transport it over. It looks exactly the same db layout as oscommerce...am I going crazy? I mean the products,

attributes and categories tables look like I could just import the data through a sql statement file. Which would be amazing.

1 answer to this question

You're not crazy! Zen Cart is based off of osCommerce:

Zen Cart branched from osCommerce as a separate project. Beyond some aesthetic changes, the major differences between the two systems come from Zen Cart's architectural changes (e.g. a template system) and additional included features in the core. Among the modules already included are a Gift Certificate/Voucher module which allows to create, send and manage the digital coupons. A module to sell downloads (pdf or other media files) is included as well. The release of the 1.3.x series further differentiated Zen Cart by moving the template system from its historic tables-based approach to one that was largely CSS-based.

Wiki