It used to do more: Sony's flip-flopping PS3 history

pinch.gif I hate that picture...

I know people are going to say that they're not connected so it doesn't matter, but what will matter is if they need to replace any or if they want to start a new cluster...

I know people are going to say that they're not connected so it doesn't matter, but what will matter is if they need to replace any or if they want to start a new cluster...

Yeh basically it sucks. People have moaned about Sony not making money on them which is why they would care even less about them but tbh ITS REALLY GOOD PR! Saying the airforce are using ps3's to run some of their research clusters is cool!

I suspect Sony will do a behind the scenes deal to allow them to get special ones with the *enhanced* firmware rather then the cut down junk users get on the PSN. No doubt they wont make a loss on those ps3's ;)

Sony could provide them with a tool to flash them with the needed firmware. Problem solved.

Exactly, they get better firmware that does more then what we have because they what and need it. Awesome, and no doubt for a cynical fee as well.

Exactly, they get better firmware that does more then what we have because they what and need it. Awesome, and no doubt for a cynical fee as well.

I don't think Sony would risk the possibility of a leak. All it takes is for it to be posted for 30 seconds on the internet for it to be seeded everywhere as the firmware that allows you to keep using Linux. If it also kills PSN, then the Air Force could just stick with the old firmware anyways.

I don't think Sony would risk the possibility of a leak. All it takes is for it to be posted for 30 seconds on the internet for it to be seeded everywhere as the firmware that allows you to keep using Linux. If it also kills PSN, then the Air Force could just stick with the old firmware anyways.

No, if you give them a tool to flash and the old firmware (or custom firmware) then people who download it will revert their PS3 back to an earlier state then have their console disconnected from PSN until they update again (as is the current situation for those who haven't updated). It wouldn't matter if it leaked. Further, it wouldn't be hard to provide them with a custom firmware that only had "Other OS" as an option. People could download it but that means not being able to play PS3 games. They could leak it all they want but Sony would still stay on top.

The whole thing the Sony Defenders CANNOT argue is that when the BD+ gets updated for newer movies and your PS3 isn't updated, you CANNOT playback that said movie.

Eventually you will have NO choice but to upgrade.

Someone tell me otherwise.

no because BD+ is a copy protection method that could be added via firmware.. The BDA would need to have a new standard, making all current players obsolete, not just ps3.

It still boggles my mind that my PS3 is able to play my PS1 titles, but cannot play my PS2 titles. I wish Sony would do something to make the consumers happy for once, ugh.

no because BD+ is a copy protection method that could be added via firmware.. The BDA would need to have a new standard, making all current players obsolete, not just ps3.

Umm BD+ is used on the Disc.

All these "Java" updates for standalone players update the BD+ copy protection code on the player.

Thats whats in PS3 updates too.

They just don't advertise they are updating the copy protection code.

Umm BD+ is used on the Disc.

All these "Java" updates for standalone players update the BD+ copy protection code on the player.

Thats whats in PS3 updates too.

They just don't advertise they are updating the copy protection code.

Thats what I mean't

Then take it up with Sony when they removed the feature from the Slim, not via the firmware.

Then take it up with Sony when they removed the feature from the Slim, not via the firmware.

Huh? :blink: I was under the impression that they did both. My point was that if someone decides that the cluster worked well and they want to start another one they can't because the feature was removed from the slims, which is what would be available to purchase if they wanted start a new cluster.

Huh? :blink: I was under the impression that they did both. My point was that if someone decides that the cluster worked well and they want to start another one they can't because the feature was removed from the slims, which is what would be available to purchase if they wanted start a new cluster.

The thread seemed aimed @ the firmware that removed OtherOS. There weren't outcries and lawsuits when it was removed from the Slim, no one gave a **** about the Air Force then. Hell, there was some bitching but nothing like this when they removed BC from newer units, which, IMHO, was a much much more advertised "bullet-point".

Just to play devil's advocate.... Sony removed BC so they could push PS3 software sales, that's a fact. What if the consumer electronics division pressures them to remove or cripple Blu-Ray playback to push their blu-ray player sales? The margin on PS3s is pretty low (and just now in the black) so maybe a bean-counter will make the decision that they make more money off a $150 blu-ray player than the $299 PS3.

Removing blu-ray playback would cripple it as a games machine, rendering it unable to play probably 60% of it's first-party disc-based lineup, not to mention other 3rd-party games like MGS4 and FFXIII.

Further, it wouldn't be hard to provide them with a custom firmware that only had "Other OS" as an option. People could download it but that means not being able to play PS3 games. They could leak it all they want but Sony would still stay on top.

That would be an interesting option, especially if with that firmware they fully unlocked the hypervisor so that Linux could have full access to the graphics card and memory. There would be no reason NOT to do it in that type of situation.

Removing blu-ray playback would cripple it as a games machine, rendering it unable to play probably 60% of it's first-party disc-based lineup, not to mention other 3rd-party games like MGS4 and FFXIII.

As I have said before (yet it seems that people still don't understand), Blu-Ray movie playback is totally unrelated to the ability of the machine to play games that are stored on Blu-Ray media. A perfect example of this is OS X. You can read Blu-Ray media all you like (assuming you have a Blu-Ray drive), but you can't actually play back a Blu-Ray movie because the software support isn't there.

That would be an interesting option, especially if with that firmware they fully unlocked the hypervisor so that Linux could have full access to the graphics card and memory. There would be no reason NOT to do it in that type of situation.

As I have said before (yet it seems that people still don't understand), Blu-Ray movie playback is totally unrelated to the ability of the machine to play games that are stored on Blu-Ray media. A perfect example of this is OS X. You can read Blu-Ray media all you like (assuming you have a Blu-Ray drive), but you can't actually play back a Blu-Ray movie because the software support isn't there.

But again, the comparison is invalid. The cost savings to Sony would come from removing the blu-ray drive from the machine, crippling it. How does Sony encourage people to buy a $150 blu-ray player over a $299 PS3? By selling it for $150.

Sony makes money from blu-ray movie sales; maintaining the hypervisor in Linux costs them money. Selling fat systems to the Air Force, who won't obviously buy any games or movie software, costs them money. Maintaining chips inside the PS3 for backwards compatibility costs Sony money, with the slim possibility of making that back via new PS2 software sales, which as time goes on is more and more unlikely until they start putting PS2 games on the store for download.

Err, no. removing the ability to play blu-ray movies, not the blu-ray player.

At any rate, I could see sony do this at one point, but not anymore. the PS3 used to be the cheapest BD players, if it was, I'd easily see them do it, or reove th software and require you to pay for the blu ray license to make it work (kind of like how the old remote dongles for the Xbox included the mpeg2 license for DVD's). As it is now, the PS3 is Twice the price of a good DVD player, and 3 times the price of the cheapest one, maybe even more now. so it doesn't serve any purpose anymore.

I would venture a guess that had the PS3 launch without HD-DVD as a BD competition. the PS3 probably wouldn't have BD playback. At least not without buying a BD license over PSN.

Would they still potentially drop the BD playback license from new units in the future and sell them on PSN ? who knows, they could in order to drop the price and make a few extra bucks on the side. kind of like a PS3 Arcade. Just a gaming machine, cheaper the full deal.

But again, the comparison is invalid. The cost savings to Sony would come from removing the blu-ray drive from the machine, crippling it. How does Sony encourage people to buy a $150 blu-ray player over a $299 PS3? By selling it for $150.

No, sony does need to pay the BDA for the BluRay player license as well. even if they are part of the BDA, they still need to license it. same as DVD players need mpeg2 licenses, same reason the cheapest windows versions and business versions odn't natively play DVD's.

Just to add that you're looking at this from a PS3 only point of view. Like I mentioned before (twice) maybe Sony as a company decides that they make more money off stand alone Blu-Ray players and want to push those instead of the "barely making money" PS3. After all, it makes financial sense and the PS3 seems to finally be coming in on its own as a game platform. SO they decide to remove BR playback so they can push more standalone players.

For me I haven't purchased a PS3 entirely due to specific games not being on the console and the inability for the newer models having backward compatibility. The last consoles I owned were PS1 (Original) and N64, after that I mainly stuck to computer gaming so I didn't get to play a lot of the PS2 games and so on. If I were to get a PS3 I'd like to be able to play PS2 games as was originally advertised but now I'm on the fence again, considering PC upgrades for the next line-up of games. As for game line-up, I was disappointed

Star Ocean: The Last Hope was on Xbox 360 over PS3 but at this point it may make more sense to grab an Xbox 360 and a PS2.

apparently geohot's firmware bring the OtherOS feature to the slim...

i haven't tested it though as the OtherOS was nevver a big deal or concern to me. plus i knew going in that the slim didn't do it...

apparently geohot's firmware bring the OtherOS feature to the slim...

i haven't tested it though as the OtherOS was nevver a big deal or concern to me. plus i knew going in that the slim didn't do it...

Maybe I'm picking you up wrong, but you make it sound like the CFW has been released? Have I missed something..

Maybe I'm picking you up wrong, but you make it sound like the CFW has been released? Have I missed something..

yeah my bad, it's hasn't actually been released yet. but from his blog post he says theoretically his firmware should bring the Other OS feature to the slim...