• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

I'm a forum admin/moderator/news/dev staff, ask me a question

Phenom II    104

LOL !

Andrew Lyle    336

/me reserves the right to be completely wrong and corrected by Neobond.

I thought it was always New Windows (XP), aka NEo WINdows

Fish    48

The financial tie-in with Stardock - how much influence do they have in both the running of the site (managerial decisions), and it's content (product placement and promotion)?

Phenom II    104

What do you think has allowed this forum to thrive, where other tech forums with the same idea have failed massively ?

what    326

Will you be actively looking to get more people into the IRC channel, despite possibly upsetting some of the regulars in there, or are you happy with how it is at the moment?

+Frank B.    7,149

Will you be actively looking to get more people into the IRC channel, despite possibly upsetting some of the regulars in there, or are you happy with how it is at the moment?

As one of the IRC regulars you ought to be able to cope with more members coming on to IRC. You can't expect staff to worry about what a few IRC regulars think.

Barney T.    2,315

The financial tie-in with Stardock - how much influence do they have in both the running of the site (managerial decisions), and it's content (product placement and promotion)?

As far as moderation goes, the staff of Neowin are self managed. We have plenty of reasons to keep the site in good standing throughout the web, regarless of who owns the site. We have distinguished visitors from all around the web (MS staff, other technical site staff and administrators, as well as other technical celebrities). And, most important, we serve the membership base here. There is no other influence on moderation from other than inside Neowin.

As far as competition, we do not allow staff to manage competing websites (conflict of interest) and we are not a support forum for competing websites either.

Rob2687    72

What do you think has allowed this forum to thrive, where other tech forums with the same idea have failed massively ?

The staff have done a nice job of adapting the forum layout over the years to suit the ever changing landscape of the tech world. The variety of forums in lots of different areas of discussion is quite nice. This has extended beyond the technology discussion too. In recent years the number of forums in other areas has expanded quite a bit to suit needs of the community. This is what has kept me coming back as a regular user over the years.

what    326

As one of the IRC regulars you ought to be able to cope with more members coming on to IRC. You can't expect staff to worry about what a few IRC regulars think.

Too many cooks can spoil the broth though. It's a good channel, but if you get too many people walking in trying to change it, it'll be crap.

Prosidius    54

If you could make 1 change to Neowin, what would it be?

Stephen    38

From what I can tell, most, if not all of the staff get along just fine (it's like a big family at heart! :p).

<snip>

There's a fair amount of leniency here - after all, we all have lives away from the internet (shock, horror!), and in those lives things change, things go wrong, etc etc. I've been "semi-active" on and off for a good few months now due to a combination of exams, coursework and medical issues. The support from the rest of the guys (and Laura!) is amazing.

Aye, we get along quite well, if im passing through someones city, ill usually try to say hi, like i did with brian (bma) when i went for a job interview, or the time that I got bored one day, picked colin-uk up, then laura, and went to see davelegg. the plan was to go to 'britains oldest pub' but that ended up not serving food, so we walked around his city for a while and found a chinese resuraunt.

Oh, and your ACP tell's you how many people are using a theme - So how many are using the pink theme ?

not in the ACP but bear with me here

capture.png

(sorry purple = grape) and this is only for forums not the front page

If i could make 1 change? i can make a change to neowin :p

Piggy    199

What's the deal with giggles, and also airline peanuts?

Owen W    53

Oooh, oooh oooooooh! Ask me a question!

gigapixels    99

What's the deal with giggles, and also airline peanuts?

giggles? As in my nickname? It was given to me by swuzzlebum in IRC :p

swuzzlebum    11

Too many cooks can spoil the broth though. It's a good channel, but if you get too many people walking in trying to change it, it'll be crap.

If there were a steady increase in users (not something temporary like when the site was redesigned) then maybe a couple more channels would even things out.

giggles? As in my nickname? It was given to me by swuzzlebum in IRC :p

Don't forget all the variations - gigglypickles, gigajiggles, etc etc ^^

Steven P.    12,732

Not to share a room with Tom (it's related to Neowin, so a valid answer).

• Like 1

Andrew Lyle    336

Not to share a room with Tom (it's related to Neowin, so a valid answer).

I think Brad and Stephen would agree. I however, would have to disagree with that :p

hjf288    68

Why do you still use Apache? Have you investigated other web servers?

Simon    177

gigapixels would be forever doomed to using the pink theme all the time.

Calum    819

There should be a Getting to Know you type thing, with set interview questions for staff to answer like "what do you enjoy" "what is your favourite food" and so on. Post individually for each staffy and let members ask more and comment ;)

That's an interesting point because one of our MVCs - warwagon - used to conduct 'Meet the Staff' podcasts, asking various questions similar to the questions you suggested. It would be cool if they were started up again. I'll see if I can find links to all the previous episodes for you (some of them are interviews with people who are no longer staff though).

Me being a member ;)

Okay, I kid, I kid :p

Growled    3,880

I think it's either person here. The staff works hard to make this an excellent place, and the members here love this place and come back day after day to help it be excellent. It's an unbeatable combination.

Yusuf M.    1,362

*walks in*

What's up?

Simon    177

Why do you still use Apache? Have you investigated other web servers?

Ooh, development! Love these.

We have investigated other web servers, actually. But Apache works just fine for us - for a little while we considered lighttpd (during the development of Ignition), but nothing ever really came of that.

Owen W    53

That's an interesting point because one of our MVCs - warwagon - used to conduct 'Meet the Staff' podcasts, asking various questions similar to the questions you suggested. It would be cool if they were started up again. I'll see if I can find links to all the previous episodes for you (some of them are interviews with people who are no longer staff though).

^ We could just make some new ones...

hjf288    68

Ooh, development! Love these.

We have investigated other web servers, actually. But Apache works just fine for us - for a little while we considered lighttpd (during the development of Ignition), but nothing ever really came of that.

Did you ever try Litespeed? Its pretty fast