• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

I'm a forum admin/moderator/news/dev staff, ask me a question

Pajter    16

I just thought of a question: (when) will you be adding rep buttons to the mobile skin?

Great topic btw, I enjoy reading it. :)

Nagisan    248

Ooh, development! Love these.

We have investigated other web servers, actually. But Apache works just fine for us - for a little while we considered lighttpd (during the development of Ignition), but nothing ever really came of that.

Was it just one of those "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" things? As you say, Apache is working fine for you guys so I guess you just haven't had a need to look into any alternatives? Or is there some core reason that you guys decided to stick with Apache instead of something else?

EDIT: Now, another question, is anything being looked at for fixing auto-formatted text copied from a site to Neowin in posts? I do not think it has formally been suggested or anything, but I know I have complained numerous times opening a topic only to see the main post was pre-formatted (from another site) which caused the text to be black (or any other dark color) on the Darkside themes dark post background. Not a major issue, but annoying for us Darksiders.

briangw    117

Two questions:

When do warnings go away? (I think I've had 2 attached to my account longer than they should be)

What is a Veteran and how does one get that title?

gigapixels    99

When do warnings go away? (I think I've had 2 attached to my account longer than they should be)

Warnings automatically reduce by 20% six months after the last one. By that, I mean that if you're a week away from getting a warning reduction and you receive another warning, the countdown is reset back to six months. If you do indeed have higher than you should because the auto reduction never occurred, please contact a supervisor and they can straighten that out for you ;)

Veterans are ex-staff that left on good terms.

Fred Derf    214

Two questions:

Six months of perfect behaviour is enough to get one (20%) warning reduction.

The Veteran group consists of members that were all former long-term volunteers to the site who left in good standing (former moderators or news posters or developers).

The_Decryptor    1,105

Will you be actively looking to get more people into the IRC channel, despite possibly upsetting some of the regulars in there, or are you happy with how it is at the moment?

I think it could do with a few more people in there, although it does get hectic when everybody's talking.

The last thing I want to see, is somebody not joining because they think they won't "fit in", or think they aren't wanted in the IRC server.

• Like 1

DavidM    329

Oooh, oooh oooooooh! Ask me a question!

Ok, Ok, settle down there millhouse... ;)

Does the news staff get assignments? or do they just grab what they are interested in and write it up? or do they submit drafts and then get feedback from the editor? I guess more to the point how does the news side work?

More? OK.

Does/did any of the news staff work for a newspaper? Anybody a journalism major? Has anybody ever yelled "Stop the Internet!!", you know as in "Stop the Presses!!", ...hhmm that might be a little old for some of you. :)

That's all I've got for you right now.

DirtyLarry    2,093

I personally feel it is a very fitting title, as I did (roughly) 3 tours of duty in the Gamers Hangout. :rofl::laugh:

Owen W    53

Does the news staff get assignments? or do they just grab what they are interested in and write it up? or do they submit drafts and then get feedback from the editor? I guess more to the point how does the news side work?

It really depends. We actively seek out news during the day, a lot of us browse news sites we are interested in and subscribe to TONS of RSS feeds (I subscribe to 50+). If an editor sees that we don't really have anything to work on, or we've been slacking a bit ;) and has something they want written up, they will ask a newsie to do so. We claim our news in a News Area, so that no-one pinches it, although it does happen from time to time.

So yeah, we currently write up the article, save it as a draft, then submit it for review, where one of the editors will check it out, then either slap us around the ears over IRC (not really) and tell us to fix it, or, they will publish it. Most items that are submitted get published, the news staff that are on fit the bill of what Neowin's looking for, so you barely find an article that isn't worthy.

More? OK.

Does/did any of the news staff work for a newspaper? Anybody a journalism major? Has anybody ever yelled "Stop the Internet!!", you know as in "Stop the Presses!!", ...hhmm that might be a little old for some of you. :)

Not that I know of, personally I've just grown up immersed in IT and I've been up with the play anyways, and have always been really fluent in good English and grammars. ;-)

Funny you mention though, we've had a few stop the internets moments - Tom's Hotmail Password Leak mid last year, my story about Snow Leopard Deleting all User Data and more, we push it out before the rest of the news and pin it. Everyone on staff gets really excited when Neowin breaks a big story and it hit's some of the bigger tech sites, it's a great feeling, cause we all know that we're in this together. Warm fuzzies anyone?

Yay! :D

NoneAvail    3

Will you guys be selling any Neowin branded t-shirts or anything like that? Get some extra revenue. You know what I mean?

And yes, I can actually say that I've walked on that thin rope with the 100% warning level.

And also can you guys read the memeber's PMs to other members?

Denis W.    730

Will you guys be selling any Neowin branded t-shirts or anything like that? Get some extra revenue. You know what I mean?

And yes, I can actually say that I've walked on that thin rope with the 100% warning level.

And also can you guys read the memeber's PMs to other members?

Someone still has a Cafepress store up. No idea who runs it though, and the logo is old :p

Regular staff cannot read PM conversations unless explicitly invited to one. Some developers can read PMs via the database, but only when absolutely needed (for instance, resolving abusive PMs).

RoomKid    15

Can we have a look at the ACP? :D :D :D

Nick H.    9,429

Here's a couple of questions for the News Team:

Do you ever review a piece of equipment and think, "this is rubbish, I can't write a review on this without it sounding like I'm slating the product"?

Do you look at the comments on your articles and think, "They [the commentators] make good points, they've changed my mind"?

For the Developers:

Are there disagreements over how to implement improvements? How do you reach a solution, is there some form of vote, or does the leader of the project make the ultimate decision?

For Neobond:

What made you think that Neowin was needed? Did you take a look at other tech-news sites and think, "I could do this better"?

And finally, some questions for anyone in any of the teams:

What's been your favourite change to Neowin in its 10 year run?

What's been the biggest story you feel Neowin has released?

What's been your favourite story that Neowin has written about? This could be different to the second question, so I thought I would throw it in.

Nick H.    9,429

Damn, I've just thought of another question for Neobond:

When you started, did you imagine Neowin would take off the way it has?

Osiris    816

Here's a couple of questions for the News Team:

Do you ever review a piece of equipment and think, "this is rubbish, I can't write a review on this without it sounding like I'm slating the product"?

Do you look at the comments on your articles and think, "They [the commentators] make good points, they've changed my mind"?

This has become a pretty interesting thread overall.

Quite good questions Intrinsica, looking forward to seeing responses for these two though.

shockz    5,289

Can we have a look at the ACP? :D :D :D

The homepage of Neowin's ACP , demo mode of course :p

post-3351-12736571406605.jpg

Steven P.    12,732

For Neobond:

What made you think that Neowin was needed? Did you take a look at other tech-news sites and think, "I could do this better"?

My favorite site back in 1998 was betanews.com, they did what we started out to do, post a lot of info on leaks and upcoming software specifically from Microsoft, in 2000 they were bought out by a venture company called eFront, and basically they needed to clean up their act. At the time there weren't very many other sites around that did what betanews did (that I knew of) so I got together with Redmak and started Neowin, doing what betanews did. It didn't take long for Daniel (Demonews.com) and Tom Warren (met on IRC) to come on board with their knowledge to make Neowin a forefront for everything Windows XP.

I want to point out that we didn't "copy" betanews, but it was the inspiration to start Neowin.

Damn, I've just thought of another question for Neobond:

When you started, did you imagine Neowin would take off the way it has?

No, I didn't really know what to expect, but between 2000 and 2004 we had constant hosting issues, we were sponsored twice (they left us due to the cost) and thats when we decided to utilize ad revenue in order to pay for the costs of running the site. The members from 2001 that are still active will tell you that we were down every few months (sometimes for up to 3 weeks) but we always managed to bounce back :p

RoomKid    15

Oh my, that is hot

Another one from me, why ever happened to the other admins?

Bioran    11

What's this amazing new face cream you speak of and how can it be obtained? :p

On-topic, what platform does Neowin use for its front page?

Hum    6,933

No news staff questions? It's seems like all of these questions are related to Admin/Moderation

How much do you get paid ? :laugh:

Simon    177

What's this amazing new face cream you speak of and how can it be obtained? :p

On-topic, what platform does Neowin use for its front page?

We don't use a "platform" per se - the current news site was coded from the ground up over the last 2 or so years (aka Ignition, we actually launched it in January). It's all custom done to suit our needs, but it is coded in PHP based on a framework made by Dave Legg called Synapse. Synapse significantly reduces the amount of code we have to write and makes it easier to add features at will.

Steven P.    12,732

Oh my, that is hot

Another one from me, why ever happened to the other admins?

What other admins? There were two in the beginning Me and Redmak, then came Daniel (aka Voodoo) then came Frogboy (Brad Wardell) and lastly Tom Warren was promoted last year. Nobody has ever stepped down from the Admin group (willingly) :shiftyninja:

Hum    6,933

It was back when betas of what would become Windows XP represented the new (aka "NEO") "WINdows".

Interesting ... I always thought Neo came from 'The Matrix', given the number of Mods who used nicks from the movie.

RoomKid    15

What other admins? There were two in the beginning Me and Redmak, then came Daniel (aka Voodoo) then came Frogboy (Brad Wardell) and lastly Tom Warren was promoted last year. Nobody has ever stepped down from the Admin group (willingly) :shiftyninja:

I do know that, but I don't see a few of them around anymore :(

bdsams    365

How much do you get paid ? :laugh:

Steve sends us a weasel in the mail once a month and it is our job to skin it and sell the fur...so whatever you can sell the fur for, thats your pay.