New setup is causing home theater problems

I just moved into an apartment where I got a DVR cable box. This has complicated my setup and I'm to a point where I don't know what should go where. Currently I have an HDMI cable going from the DVR box (Explorer 8300HD) to my Samsung LN32A550. There is obviously a Coaxial cable going from the wall to the Coax input on the DVR. From there I have an optical cable from the DVR to my receiver for my surround sound. I have another optical cable going from my Xbox 360 to my Receiver. The Xbox 360 is connected by Component cables as well.

I turned the TV on (switched the input to HDMI) and tried to watch some TV. I had to switch my receiver to V1 for the sound to work. V1 on my old setup switched the audio to my Xbox. So I turned on my Xbox 360 and no matter what button I pressed on my home theater remote, nothing gave the 360 sound.

Where is the problem in this setup?

Is it possible for you to post a picture of the back of the receiver? Also can the receiver set different audio outputs with different video inputs (on my receiver I can assign TV audio to DVD video if I needed to)?

Also can the receiver set different audio outputs with different video inputs (on my receiver I can assign TV audio to DVD video if I needed to)?

I would check that also. Maybe this optical input is unassigned for some reason.

Check your audio setting on your 360, maybe optical audio got disabled for some reason.

You probably need to assign the digital inputs to correct input sources, check the first time setup part of the manual. Basically goes something like this: Press the input source button for Xbox, then press digital input button until you have the right one.. e.g. OPT2 for the xbox and OPT1 for TV.

Yep it was all about assigning the digital inputs. While I looked all over the remote the other day for a setting like that, I never actually looked at the receiver itself. On the receiver there was a button called "digital input" which was nowhere to be found on the remote. Problem solved. :p