Portal is now free until May 24th for PC & MAC on Steam

to bad its FPS... i'd love a good puzzle game, FPS = fail

It.. IS .. a puzzle game.. in fps form.

The ignorance in your post is astounding.

Gentle reminder to people having problems downloading: Try cycling through content servers to see if there's one where most people should be sleeping. So someone here in North America can try their luck at a eastern Europe content server.

Go to Settings > Downloads and keep trying the servers in the list.

I was willing to buy Portal on the Steam launch, colour me very pleased and they discounted Torchlight. I'll try it when I get home tonight, probably the last thing I need with exams coming up, but who cares :p

Thanks for posting LOC :D

NP d00d!

I was willing to buy Portal on the Steam launch, colour me very pleased and they discounted Torchlight. I'll try it when I get home tonight, probably the last thing I need with exams coming up, but who cares :p

There are 57 games with the Mac launch I thought? Should be plenty to start off with :)

whats the size of download? :D

(i dont have steam installed, so dont know d/l size)

Uh, when I downloaded it last time (months ago) it was a near 2 gig download I believe. But if you look at the local files for Portal in it's options dialog Steam says it's an almost 5 gig game. I'd go with the 2 gig download though :D

Servers are getting HAMMERED!

Yeah, I'm unable to get it right now. I really didn't think portal would be that popular, but if it's free there is no wonder there.. :p

For some reason I'm going to feel a bit odd downloading it for free, considering this is/was a major retail release being released for free unlike some of the other titles that were released for free. I guess this means I will finally be able to remove that Portal: First Slice game from my list now that I can get the full version for free for a while.

Uh, when I downloaded it last time (months ago) it was a near 2 gig download I believe. But if you look at the local files for Portal in it's options dialog Steam says it's an almost 5 gig game. I'd go with the 2 gig download though :D

I agree, its showing 4.9GB and I have not added any custom maps or anything. I think if you have NO steam games installed, then it is a (nearly) 5GB download, but if you have other steam games installed its much smaller. I only have TF2 installed (before Portal, that is) and it was a 2-3GB download (cannot remember exactly) but the full size for Portal on its own is around 5GB, so it definitely has some shared content with other Valve games.

And yes, downloading this does remove Portal: First Slice from your list, either that or it for whatever reason disappeared from my list before this release.

thanks mate :D

I agree, its showing 4.9GB and I have not added any custom maps or anything. I think if you have NO steam games installed, then it is a (nearly) 5GB download, but if you have other steam games installed its much smaller. I only have TF2 installed (before Portal, that is) and it was a 2-3GB download (cannot remember exactly) but the full size for Portal on its own is around 5GB, so it definitely has some shared content with other Valve games.

And yes, downloading this does remove Portal: First Slice from your list, either that or it for whatever reason disappeared from my list before this release.

Oh Portal def. shares content with other Source games :)

And it makes sense it would remove First Slice since you are replacing a demo version with the full game after all :p

thanks mate :D

No problemo, hope you enjoy the game :)

Valve's doing something weird (won't say wrong as I'm not sure) with OpenGL rendering.

Source%20OpenGL%20blur.png

That's a bit of a screenshot (nearest neighbour scaling so no interpolation) from my mac, with anti-aliasing disabled and being displayed full screen (native res), but edges are being blurred (yet are still pixelated at the same time)

Wow Loc, you get me to get one game from Steam and you just keep posting more and more for me to get. Looks like I'm a Steam User.

Wow Loc, you get be to get one game from Steam and you just keep posting more and more.

Huh, either it's because it's 3 am and I'm dead tired or I just don't understand what you are saying :|

Huh, either it's because it's 3 am and I'm dead tired or I just don't understand what you are saying :|

I don't understand it either, Thanks for the heads up LOC!

Wait, what do they mean exactly by "Until May 24th..."?

(1) I install the game by the 24th, play it for free, and once the 24th comes Steam locks the game again until I actually purchase it.

Or

(2) I install the game by the 24th, play it for free, and when the 24th comes I still play it for free. Until the end of time.

(1) I install the game by the 24th, play it for free, and once the 24th comes Steam locks the game again until I actually purchase it.

Or

(2) I install the game by the 24th, play it for free, and when the 24th comes I still play it for free. Until the end of time.

Read the thread, the answer is in there. It's free until the 24th, you download it, you own it. No locking up, no end of trial. Nothing.

So that's #2.

Or

2 as far as everyone knows, Valve wasn't so clear on the offer but yes it's free forever so long as you grab it between now and the 24th.

I think it is also because Portal 2 is just around the corner, this will help boost sales.

For free? Madness!

I already have this game, but to those that don't - just download it! Its free so there isn't any risk involved, if you don't like it you can download and move on. But you could be missing out on one of the greatest Valve games!

2 as far as everyone knows, Valve wasn't so clear on the offer but yes it's free forever so long as you grab it between now and the 24th.

I think it is also because Portal 2 is just around the corner, this will help boost sales.

It'll also boost awareness about the game's existence, and that it's getting a sequel this autumn. :D

It will also significantly boost the number of Steam users, me thinks. Probably quite a number who have never installed Steam will do so to get their hands on this.

Read the thread, the answer is in there. It's free until the 24th, you download it, you own it. No locking up, no end of trial. Nothing.

So that's #2.

Thanks.

O no, It was to late for me to be posting and I didn't fully type a coherent sentence. Should be better now.

O no, It was to late for me to be posting and I didn't fully type a coherent sentence. Should be better now.

Yes, yes it makes more sense now :D

Welcome to Steam eh? :p