100 Year Pill may be available in 2 years

PEOPLE will be given pills to live healthily beyond 100 within TWO YEARS, a top professor revealed yesterday.

The drugs - a spin-off from research into age-related illnesses such as Alzheimer's - are already being developed.

Professor Nir Barzilai, one of the world's leading experts on ageing, said as he joined fellow scientists at a London conference: "Pharmaceutical companies are developing these drugs now.

"They will probably be available for testing from 2012."

The astonishing breakthrough follows intensive research into what makes cells die - and why some people dodge major illnesses such as cancer, diabetes and dementia to live beyond 100 still fit as a fiddle.

The New York professor's own team at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine has pinpointed genetic variants that let people live to a "ripe old age".

Those blessed with anti-ageing genes tend not to get seriously ill towards the end of their lives - but die suddenly. Professor Barzilai, among experts at a Royal Society summit on ageing, said: "I'm seeing 100-year-olds who are not only 100 years old but in great shape.

"People who die between 70 and 80 are sick in the last few years of their life. Centenarians are dying healthy."

He said people could begin taking a once-a-day longevity pill in their 40s or 50s.

source

He said people could begin taking a once-a-day longevity pill in their 40s or 50s.

Heh, guess it's time to buy stocks in these pharmaceutical companies. Once-a-day pills for 50 years eh, some company is going to get very very very rich.

That's brilliant! But then the church and various other religious factions are going to throw a hissy about it.... sign me up tho!!!!!! i want to go camping on mars! :)

Interesting. Though I'm sure they will have their own set of problems (side effects)...

Nothing is as rosy as they claim.

Interesting. Though I'm sure they will have their own set of problems (side effects)...

Nothing is as rosy as they claim.

side effects may include itching, sneezing, coughing, constipation, diarrhoea, anorexia, obesity, diabetes, syphilis, impotence, cancer, and death.

Haven't we had such claims before?

Heh, guess it's time to buy stocks in these pharmaceutical companies.

It's pretty much never been a time not to invest in pharmas!

That's brilliant! But then the church and various other religious factions are going to throw a hissy about it.... sign me up tho!!!!!! i want to go camping on mars! :)

What is "the church"? And why would "most" religions say something bad about a pill?

What is "the church"? And why would "most" religions say something bad about a pill?

"The Church" is a phrase used to represent most christian/catholic-based relgions.

"Most" religions are based around the idea of a life, death, afterlife plan. This put's a nice little delay into the mix.

Further questions?

• Like 1

false hope

Im not very religious, but death is part of life. to think we can make outselves live longer through medicine doesn't seem right. what about over population? I think before we start making ourselves live longer we should focus off getting on this freaking planet. Or perhaps the impending doom millions of years from now where our galaxy colides with another _(@*$_)*@(_#)(.

Im done.

"The Church" is a phrase used to represent most christian/catholic-based relgions.

"Most" religions are based around the idea of a life, death, afterlife plan. This put's a nice little delay into the mix.

Further questions?

Im not very religious, but death is part of life. to think we can make outselves live longer through medicine doesn't seem right. what about over population? I think before we start making ourselves live longer we should focus off getting on this freaking planet. Or perhaps the impending doom millions of years from now where our galaxy colides with another _(@*$_)*@(_#)(.

Im done.

Death is an illness that we need to fight. We are just too weak to avoid death, but someday this will change.

Well said.

I think it's a load of bull****. There are many different factors as to why someone lives to the ripe old age of 100 and beyond. But is it really a life though, confined to a nursing home where not many people visit you?

I agree with Klownicle, death is a part of life. Life spans have already been prolonged as years have gone past. It used to be to the thirties which was considering a ripe old age before death. For all they know, this is just the start of natural prolonged life and in another 50 years people will be living till 125 without aid of tablets that will defiantly have side effects.

Death is an illness that we need to fight. We are just too weak to avoid death, but someday this will change.

Death is not an illness, it's life and death, they come as a pair. You don't get one on it's own. If nobody died, we'd all eventually die of starvation as the world would become far to over populated to quickly. Wouldn't want to live forever in my opinion. Life would just get boring after the first couple of hundred odd years

what a waste of money and research. They could have been making pills to provide old people with even longer lasting erections instead.

Heh, guess it's time to buy stocks in these pharmaceutical companies. Once-a-day pills for 50 years eh, some company is going to get very very very rich.

And buy stock in adult diaper companies.

I think 60 is good enough for me, I'm gonna be hella bored and tired of this place by then, I definitely wouldn't want a 40yr extension.

I think 60 is good enough for me, I'm gonna be hella bored and tired of this place by then, I definitely wouldn't want a 40yr extension.

Really? I'm 23 and I feel like I've barely started living. There's so many avenue's to take in life that there's no way I could run out of things to do by 100!

Because, again they are going to whine that man is playing GOD....! extending life, kinda goes against the whole thing of your life apparently being planned in advance, and if its your time to go... its your time to go!

Now its interesting tho....! cos if apparently its already pre-planned, and all laid out before we are born... then surely, an omnipotent and all knowing god would already have known that mankind would create a life expanding drug?

put that in yer pipe pope n smoke it!

what about over population?

Well said.

I think it's a load of bull****. There are many different factors as to why someone lives to the ripe old age of 100 and beyond. But is it really a life though, confined to a nursing home where not many people visit you?

I agree with Klownicle, death is a part of life. Life spans have already been prolonged as years have gone past. It used to be to the thirties which was considering a ripe old age before??death. For all they know, this is just the start of natural prolonged life and in another 50 years people will be living till 125 without aid of tablets that will defiantly have side effects.

Death is not an illness, it's life and death, they come as a pair. You don't get one on it's own. If nobody died, we'd all eventually die of starvation as the world would become far to over populated to quickly. Wouldn't want to live forever in my opinion. Life would just get boring after the first couple of hundred odd years

this isnt about making people live longer and linger on in nursing homes etc, its about making the old people who are alive live healthier....? the article specifically mentions alzheimers and cancer and a few other diseases....?

If this is true then immortality could happen within our lifetime (or at least something close to it)

I'm sure some professor suggested this could happen on some second rate tv program on the BBC recently, be interesting if it did happen

Only problem I see is that the human mind probably cannot handle it, we would most probably get bored