Need new speakers (~$500)

Well, I've been thinking of ditching my Logitech Z5500 as my "home theater" sound for a while now. Today, I came across an amzing price on the Onkyo TX-SR608 receiver and couldn't pass up the offer. It'll be here next week :D. Now, however, I obviously need some speakers. I would prefer not to go over $500, but at the same time I want some really good speakers. It doesn't matter to me whether they're 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1. My initial thought was for the Klipsch HD 500's. At the moment these will be in my bedroom, but in the next couple years they'll be going into a larger living room.

I mainly watch HD movies from my computer and play on my Xbox 360.

Usually I do my own research, but I know there are a LOT of people here that are way smarter than I am when it comes to sound systems. Also, we don't need to go into whether or not my impulse buy was good, unless it was good, in which case feel free to get into it :p

Found a good price on Klipsch HD 1000's. How are they?

I built my home theater setup from the ground up with Klipsch based speakers, and couldn't be happier with it.

The one's you found appear to be very good, look here: Link!

Hope it helps!

Yeah, $520 is the price I'm looking at, just wish someone with some experience with them would chime in before I make the purchase.

For 500?

I would have suggested purchasing a set of towers first, then adding a center etc as funds become available. That way it forces you to complete the 5.1 setup while having a BA system to play with as well.

For 500? I would have suggested purchasing a set of towers first, then adding a center etc as funds become available. That way it forces you to complete the 5.1 setup while having a BA system to play with as well.

Well it's a little late for that :p

Anyway, I just finished setting everything up a few hours ago, and I've got to say, I don't regret it. Maybe in a couple of years when I'm not sharing a house and confined to my bedroom, I'll be looking for a more serious setup. When that time comes, I'll make sure I get your opinion before I buy. One thing is for sure though, I'm officially in love with Klipsch now and I look forward to using your expertise to build an amazing setup in the future.

Klipsch > Bose in everyway.

I agree. My parents got a Bose system last year and I think even this HDT1000 sounds better... for about a third of the cost.

Klipsch is amazing bang for the buck. Many of its products, ex. Reference, may not be the holy grail for music listening, though they are hard to beat for home theater; best in class.

Everyone knows Bose is for show and tell and not for listening to.