• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Plasma or LED?

Plasma or LED  

147 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

deuz    2

I have zero interest in Plasma technology and thus would be happy to go from a LCD model to an LED version.

whats wrong with lcd...what would convince you that going to led is any better...im curious...from what ive seen high end lcd are no better or worse than same line leds... there are a few rgb bakclit leds that are very very good but are quite expensive...

edit: the main issue i have is that the price different between led and lcd is quite large and for little or almost no gain..

Ambroos    801

Ehm... Where's the option for "I have No TV"?

Jeston    400

Have: LED

Want: LED

Motoko.    435

600hz?

Can a plasma be 3D ready too?

jerzdawg    338

600hz?

Can a plasma be 3D ready too?

yes, I think Panasonics 3d tv is plasma and the Samsung is LED (pretty sure Samsung also has a 3d plasma).

I vote for a high-end Plasma, I think they handle fast motion (sports) much better than a standard LCD.

neufuse    3,877

Well thanks for letting me know guys. ^^ Either way, I've heard that Plasma TV's don't last very long. So OP is better of with a LED.

I had a plasma screen for 6 yrs before it's power supply went bad by a lightning strike

Rhialto    0

I saw the new Panasonic 3D (VT25) ans I must say that it is amazing... If I was to buy today, I would go with that one. I could write PROS/CONS but they are known from every enthusiast already.

Amamba    2

We just went to the store to get a 50" plasma Samsung and walked out with 40" LCD Samsung TV instead, for the same price. Two reasons - (1) the image was definitely sharper on LCD, (2) our TV is right across the living room window and there was practically no glare on LCD, the plasma looked like it would be much more distracting in the sunlight. Honestly tho, I'd say my 13 yr old Panasonic CRT still outperforms both as far as the image quality is concerned, however it's one behemoth of a TV for a relatively small 32" screen.

HawkMan    5,232

Samsung makes terrible Plasma's though, you shoudl have checked the Panasonics, they win pretty much every test as far as PQ go, and if you go for the higher models ( in the latest series I believe the G20 is the top end) you get screens with excellent anti glare coating, on top of that, for the top of the line panasonic plasma, you pay the same as you'd pay for the mid end LCD screen, with far inferior PQ. though the panasonics plasma's pretty much have the same PQ across the board, but the higher end models have better screen coating and extra features. So if your room doesn't have a glare problem, and you don't need silly internet tv and 500 hdmi ports, then you can get the superior plasma quality for the same price as a low end LCD.

jerzdawg    338

We just went to the store to get a 50" plasma Samsung and walked out with 40" LCD Samsung TV instead, for the same price. Two reasons - (1) the image was definitely sharper on LCD, (2) our TV is right across the living room window and there was practically no glare on LCD, the plasma looked like it would be much more distracting in the sunlight. Honestly tho, I'd say my 13 yr old Panasonic CRT still outperforms both as far as the image quality is concerned, however it's one behemoth of a TV for a relatively small 32" screen.

this makes no sense. Unless you have your LCD hooked up to a VCR via S-Video, there is no way a 13 year old Panasonic CRT has better PQ than a new 40" LCD. What model did you get? What source (cable box, dvd player, bluray player, etc) and what connection (coaxial, hdmi, component, composite) are you using?

Sethos    270

I'm the proud owner of a Pioneer 42" Plasma TV, has served me well and whenever I visit a mates house or some family and see their newly purchased LCD TVs I almost cringe, they got nothing on

my TV despite being years old now.

HawkMan    5,232

this makes no sense. Unless you have your LCD hooked up to a VCR via S-Video, there is no way a 13 year old Panasonic CRT has better PQ than a new 40" LCD. What model did you get? What source (cable box, dvd player, bluray player, etc) and what connection (coaxial, hdmi, component, composite) are you using?

Resolution wise, no.

but PQ is a lot more than resolution, in fact many consider resolution the least important. and a good CRT will outclass any LCD on contrast and colors. Heck a good CRT will be slightly better than a plasma as well. with the possible exception of the top of the line Pioneers, though most of the difference between a CRT and a plasma is that the CRT manages brighter whites, which you don't need anyway.

Darth Laidher    37

Bought me a 46" Samsung LCD tv about a month ago,i'm happy with it,I seen the LED tv's there but for the price to me it wasn't justified.

jerzdawg    338

Resolution wise, no.

but PQ is a lot more than resolution, in fact many consider resolution the least important. and a good CRT will outclass any LCD on contrast and colors. Heck a good CRT will be slightly better than a plasma as well. with the possible exception of the top of the line Pioneers, though most of the difference between a CRT and a plasma is that the CRT manages brighter whites, which you don't need anyway.

I still dont agree. A quality LCD (Samsung or Sony) will not be "outclassed" by an old CRT. I had an old Sony Wega CRT right before I upgraded to the LN52a650 and it was not just the resolution that made it a better PQ. Perhaps if you have vizio or something you might have comparable PQ with a CRT.

HawkMan    5,232

I still dont agree. A quality LCD (Samsung or Sony) will not be "outclassed" by an old CRT. I had an old Sony Wega CRT right before I upgraded to the LN52a650 and it was not just the resolution that made it a better PQ. Perhaps if you have vizio or something you might have comparable PQ with a CRT.

A sony should have far better PQ than ANY LCD.

This is pure numbers, the LCD can't match the CRT for blacks, whites, and especially contrast. Sure if you ran the CRT and the LCD on some regular guy Dynamic mode then you lose so much quality on both types that you won't notice the better quality. If you properly adjust it as it should be however Then you'll notice the LCD just can't compare to the CRT. The LCD can either make the brights look good, and lose details on the blacks, or make the Blacks look somewhat decent and lose details on the whites. or it can use dynamic and lose detail all across the image and have a dynamic image with seemingly good contrast. The CRT however, will be able to have proper black with detail on the black details on mid tones and details on bright and have bright whites. Something LCD's just can't do. Backlit local dimming LED's can do it to a degree but they can't even match plasma's so they're still not nearly as good as CRT's

Boz    1,324

The only TV I would get over my Pioneer Elite and Panasonic plasmas in my house is the newest Samsung LED 65" 3D TV. That thing looks absolutely insane.

gate1975mlm    128

If image quality is the most important to you then Plasma all the way!!!

I have a 3 year old Pioneer 5070 Plasma and it still looks better they any LCD or LED on the market today!

If I was buying a new TV today it would be one of Panasonic's new 3D Plasmas :)

I always tell people get LCD or LED for bedrooms or small rooms.

And get Plasma for livingrooms and familyrooms.

citan    13

I have a Kuro Elite 50" at home, and it looks like it will be staying for a while since no TV beats it's contrast, even newest Panasonic plasmas are inferior ;) maybe next year, oh well ;)

asusmc    0

A CRT has alot better picture quality. The colors will always be more vivid.

But a LCD beats it in other categories so.

The only reason to have a CRT is if you work in the movie/photo/picture/etc industry. VERY FEW LCDs can match a CRT.

I didnt vote anything as my choice is a OLED :)

apple jacks48    7

I have a 2009 model 50" Panasonic plasma and my friend as a 2009 model 46" Samsung LCD.

There is just something about the LCD/LEDs with high refresh rates that just makes the picture look unnatural to me. Everything looks like its fast forwarding and its annoying. When I watch my plasma everything looks like it does in reality, nice and smooth and not having to worry about refreshing or motion blur.

ShiFteDReaLitY    6

I Have a 46" Sharp Aquos 120hz LCD (10bit panel) if u get a LCD and have the extra money to spend make sure its a 10bit panel... the PQ is much better. I have a Samsung 720p plasma as well as a Toshiba (8bit panel) LCD and the PQ is MUCH better on the Sharp. Although i do like the newer plasma... they just look really good to me :)

alanlar    0

Definitely Plasma for me, imo better picture quality and handles motion a lot better than lcd. Had a Pioneer 42" for the last 8 years really fantastic picture quality. Just replaced it with a Panasonic 50" VT20 which has an excellent picture and really good for watching sport.

Alan

tehmemories    1

Plasma

Singh400    184

I have two brilliant LCDs, I want 2 brilliant LEDs (Y)

Rudy    457

I has LCD, but want LED.

+1

But I'm not going to buy a new TV anytime soon though...my TV is only 3 years old and supports pretty much everything I need (1080p, 3xhdmi etc etc)