• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Coin collecting?

Neodan    2

I just started collecting all my coins. I haven't so in the past I sort of just let my coins drift around, but with the economy I want to save them. Anybody else save coins? How much can you earn from just coins?

Doli    546

"How much can you earn from just coins?"

Gold or silver?

100 gold = 1 extra life ;)

I throw all my change in a old containers one for pennies and the other for the rest.

Neodan    2

Those who don't collect change, I just wonder where it all goes?

Rudy    457

Pennies: donation boxes

Rest: I usually use my change for coffee on my break at work since they don't take debit or visa at the coffee shop in my building

MyInterest    0

I used to collect new coins and oldest one. I have Indian 25 paisa, 10 paisa and 5 paisa coin that is not available even to see these days... :)

You will not find these coins with any one in new generation easily. I also have 100 rs coin that was launched for some time only in India....

ThisSiteHasLostItsCharm    263

I have quite a large collection of coins, some date back to 1600's. I did have a small roman coin I found on holiday but I lost it, grrrrrrr

+Anarkii    2,253

My mother collects coins. She has almost every 1c-$2 coin (AU currency) since 1960.

She even has a Napoleon era French coin too, not sure how much it would be worth since its in a bit crap condition but still...

NeoDannii    0

I have a various collection of coins from all over the world - some/most not used anymore.

I also collect my change and sort them into pots. I've made lots out of this... if people recieve

a penny change they just throw it on the floor or tell them to keep the change, but all of them

saved up can make you lots and save you lots.

Once my friend laughed at me because I saw a penny on the floor and I picked it up and saved

it. Later that day, they were short of a penny and asked me... not laughing then hehe.

maceman    3

I have a friend, who have collected some coins. He uses CD-cases to storage them.

Silvorgold    0

I don't bother looking through my change for anything special anymore, the most a random coin could be worth in the change is $4 or so if you're lucky to stumble upon something rare in this day and age.

Sometimes I'll find a coin at a shop that'll only appreciate in value over time (not the one on the left)

4883794418_682fbd35ec_b.jpg

The Guvnor    56

As a kid I was pretty interested in collecting coins. I still have about 20 of silver rupee coins from the British raj of India dating all the while to 1840. A silver rupee from the state of Hyderabad. Also a really old silver half dollar. Apart from silver coins there are a few pennies belonging to the 19th century as well. Apart from that I have a 100 franc coin of the ww2 era. Seems like I did well as a kid.

Rigby    1,577

I just started collecting all my coins. I haven't so in the past I sort of just let my coins drift around, but with the economy I want to save them. Anybody else save coins? How much can you earn from just coins?

When I read the topic title I thought the post would be about collecting old or rare coins, but unless I've misunderstood it sounds like you're talking about just saving your pocket change. Just a tip but regular coins are worth their face value, so you won't earn money by collecting them.

However if you are talking about going through them and looking for valuable coins, I think it's extremely rare you'll come across one. I've had a collection since I was a kid, mostly old US coins, foreign ones and a few really old ones like a 1500s shilling. I love doing it but I've never made a dime on it. By all means collect them if it's something you would enjoy as a hobby, but don't plan on making a big profit unless you're a dealer. :)

kalkal    558

I usually spend all my change, shortly after receiving it... I've collected coppers sometimes, think the max it's come up to is something like ?15 over the course of 2 months.

Jason S.    1,504

in the US, coins are generally sucked up again by the Mint, which melts them down for new coins. i'm not sure how the process works.

you can find stats online for a coin's average life expectancy.

idk why, but about 3yrs ago i started collecting all US coins i receive as change older than 1970. it's actually not that common anymore! i seem to mostly get coins from 1967... not sure why that year specifically. my oldest coin ive ever randomly received was one from 1937 :happy:

metallithrax    522

I have a large whisky bottle that I put my 1p, 2p, 5p and 10p coins into. Over time it can build up to a very reasonable amount.

Just counted my stash and there is around ?15 - not much, but better than giving it away