American in Australia

G'day to all.

Yesterday I was googling an error in Acronis and came upon this forum. Just so happens it was an old post, but the info on it wasn't exactly correct either. So I felt obliged to add what I know about it. I was greeted to the forum with a comment "stupid 1 post wonders", so probably won't be spending much time here. I don't pretend to know it all, and don't have much time for anyone else who thinks they do either. Just too much to do and so little time to do it all, to be dealing with attitudes.

But in case I do stick around for a bit:

I'm a 51 year old American and ex-marine (although you're never really an ex) who moved to Adelaide, South Australia and became a permanent resident 8 years ago (married my best friend, an ozzie woman that I'd met online in '98). I never could stand big cities, and as much as I love Wisconsin country, I also love my new home, Australia. Adelaide has a small town feel to it, and we're close to the hills so that I can disappear into the country quickly. The people here (AU) have the best sense of humor/humour in the world and don't take things too seriously (for the most part). I've got 3 kids in Wisconsin (22, 20, and the boy is 19) so still visit there a few times per year. I've owned a custom computer shop in the USA since '89, and we added another shop here in 2002. I've been using/building/fixing computers for quite some time. I also frequent many other forums including: Windows XP/Vista/Windows 7, AtomicMPC, Whirlpool, Xtremesystems, extremeoverclocking, Tom's Hardware, PCstats (Canadians need love too), etc., etc.. You get the idea. The challenge and constantly changing nature of computers has always appealed to me. Its all come so far compared to the 5 1/4 x 5 1/4" dual floppy drive machine that I started with. :)

Computers and the exchange rate have been very good to us, so we're looking to retire in the next year or so. If all goes according to plan, we'll be riding the BMW around Australia at this time next year, and around the world the following year (OK, we'll have to take a boat part way). Then I hope to get back to my 2 main loves (other than the wife and kids of course), which are collecting USA muscle cars and on/off-road motorcycles. I raced enduro for 22 years and hope to race in senior class here.

In the meantime, if I can offer any assistance I'll gladly do so. And hopefully I can tap into the knowledge base here for any problems that I might encounter as well. :)

Welcome to Neowin, and don't let comments like the one made towards your initial post discourage you - most people on here are actually well-behaved.

Have a look around and you'll find a wildly varied forum, with a great amount of technical knowledge amassed over the past 9 years as well as threads about pretty much every other topic you could think of.

Enjoy your stay!

The only thing you should know is Australians are Racist. but in a Joke way. if they call you a bloody Yank. Call em a Bogan.

Anyways enjoy your stay

Adelaide has a small town feel to it, and we're close to the hills so that I can disappear into the country quickly.

Yeah a former boss of mine (an SA boy) used to refer to Adelaide as Australia's largest country town. :yes:

My wife is a bogan and proud of it (her words, not mine).

Thanx for the welcomes. There is a substancial amount of posts/information here. Hard to believe I haven't seen this sooner. :)