Recommended software for new Ubuntu install?

I recently just reinstalled my Ubuntu partition, and I since the last time I have used it was around 2 years ago, I seem to be quite out of the loop. Although I must admit the new theme on 10.04 is astounding :D

Anyway, could anyone reccomend me some good software to start me off? So far I have installed -

Filezilla, VLC, Docky, WINE, Ubuntu Restricted Extras.

Thanks,

C3NTURY.

Don't forget Google's browser Chrome for Linux is the fastest out of Windows & Mac!!

I use Firefox, mostly because of the addons but once Chrome catches up i'm sure I will be swapping.

Google Chrome, X-Chat, Pidgin, msttcorefonts, ttf-droid

Already use Pidgin on Windows so it was the first thing I installed on Ubuntu ;)

What build are you using? 64 or 32?

If you're on 64-bit, don't use the flash player from the repositories, get the one from Adobe's web page and put it in .mozilla/plugins/.

Also, if on 64-bit, you definitely shouldn't use Firefox because it still doesn't have TraceMonkey.

What build are you using? 64 or 32?

If you're on 64-bit, don't use the flash player from the repositories, get the one from Adobe's web page and put it in .mozilla/plugins/.

Also, if on 64-bit, you definitely shouldn't use Firefox because it still doesn't have TraceMonkey.

I use 64-bit yeah, so I will probably do that.

Opera, VLC, MPlayer (console), GIMP, Inkscape, Google Earth, Kmess (WLM client), Xchat, amarok14 (or Clementine), Kstars and of course the KDE SC (to replace the GNOME desktop).

If you're using docky from the default repositories, replace it with the one from this ppa (newer builds).

Here's some of the stuff I have on my PC/find pretty cool/recommend (not always all three of those things at once). You might want to Google some of them for more info/screenshots before installing.

CoverGloobus (desktop nowplaying widget)

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gloobus-dev/covergloobus
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install covergloobus

GloobusPreview (file previewer)

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gloobus-dev/gloobus-preview
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install gloobus-preview

Gnome Do (saying it's a file/program launcher doesn't do it justice, it's more like the best application in the universe :p)

Shutter (screenshot app) - in official repositories, newer version in this ppa

Emesene (MSN client)

Tucan (simple download manager for sites like rapidshare, megaupload...)

Liferea (feed reader, can be synced with existing Google Reader accounts)

Ex Falso (tag editor)

gPodder (podcast client)

Openshot (video editor, much better than Pitivi)

Exaile (my favorite music player :p)

Pinta (Paint.net for Linux, if you're not into Gimp)

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:moonlight-team/pinta
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install pinta

gThumb (image viewer, it can pretty much replace the default viewer and F-spot for simple editing)

Nautilus Elementary (a refined version of the Nautilus file browser, looks much simpler and nicer) - screenshot

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:am-monkeyd/nautilus-elementary-ppa
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
nautilus -q #restarts nautilus

Pino (a simple Twitter client, alternative for Gwibber)

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:vala-team/ppa
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:troorl/pino 
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install pino

VirtualBox (virtual environment) - 3.2 just out

sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian lucid non-free"
wget -q http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/sun_vbox.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add -
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install virtualbox-3.2

Ubuntu Tweak (tweak program)

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:tualatrix/ppa
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install ubuntu-tweak

I might add some other ones later, if I come across something interesting.

• Like 1

I don't deviate from the defaults too much these days, but what I do download is:

1.) Restricted Extras

2.) GUFW

3.) Community Themes

My only one recommendation is uninstall OpenJDK (after installing restricted) an install Sun Java Plugin

Another rec for VirtualBox and UbuntuTweak.

Some great recommendations in this thread. Also, Celestia is awesome.

Ubuntu is awesome but the issue with low volume audio since Ubuntu creation was more than enough for me to uninstall 10.04. I will wait until Ubuntu have better stability with drivers, specially audio drivers and wireless <---- what a pain in the ass.

A few more:

Comix comic book viewer

Elementary (Mac-like theme)

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:elementaryart 
sudo apt-get update &amp;&amp; sudo apt-get install elementary-theme elementary-icon-theme  

Kupfer (another Quicksilver type launcher like Gnome Do, mono-free, seems interesting, I'm just trying it out myself) - check this page for tips

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kupfer-team/ppa
sudo apt-get update &amp;&amp; sudo apt-get install kupfer

Cheese (webcam photo and video taking application) - easiest way to check if your webcam is working

mwbuttons (change order of the windows buttons) - download, right click -> allow executing file as program, run OR

wget http://launchpad.net/mwbuttons/trunk/v0.2/+download/mwbuttons
chmod +x mwbuttons
./mwbuttons

P.S. Tried Kupfer, it's sweet.

im gonna use this topic as i dont want to create a new one and think my questions kinda belong into this:

- is there an (best would be: easy) way to use my iphone on ubunto. i want to sync/copy new music to it and also would love to have direct access like in windows explorer to copy/move the photos?

- is it possible to transfer all my emails from windows live mail to ANY linux mail app?

im gonna use this topic as i dont want to create a new one and think my questions kinda belong into this:

- is there an (best would be: easy) way to use my iphone on ubunto. i want to sync/copy new music to it and also would love to have direct access like in windows explorer to copy/move the photos?

- is it possible to transfer all my emails from windows live mail to ANY linux mail app?

I don't have an iPhone, so can't help with that first one. But why would you want to transfer your email from a web client like Windows Live mail to a local app like Thunderbird? WLM should still work when browsing with Linux.

I don't have an iPhone, so can't help with that first one. But why would you want to transfer your email from a web client like Windows Live mail to a local app like Thunderbird? WLM should still work when browsing with Linux.

i dont mean the web-based windows live mail but the app based windows live mail. ;)

That depends on whether or not Hotmail/WLMail supports POP3/IMAP. Which I think it doesn't.

It doesn't, since you need a separate plugin just to get hotmail working in Outlook.

It doesn't, since you need a separate plugin just to get hotmail working in Outlook.

sorry i should have been clearer. i mean im using windows live mail beta (that app from windows live wave 4) for several email accounts. 1 is GMX, another one is Gmail, another one is live.com.

all im looking for is an app which lets me export my GMX mails (inbox and sent items) and then import it in any mail app on ubuntu (i guess there are some to chose from).

gmail is clear as its imap so no prob and i could live without live.com as i simply access it then via the webpage.

besides that, i have to say ubuntu is great!!! my logitech di novo mouse and keyboard working perfectly, activating it via bluetooth was as easy as in windows.

it even lets me copy and see the iphone folders directly in the "explorer"