HELP! Windows 7 aero and transparency not working.

here's what the error looks like now,

post-301972-12749640179103.png

and I've tried to update the driver from windows update, it failed.

So I downloaded the driver from intel, it's the intel 965 chipset.

but when it was installing, it got an 'unknown error' and had to exit.

so I can't install.

what can I do?

That was my first guess mate.. I was thinking it is a driver problem.. "Unknown Error" to me means that either the file you downloaded was corrupt OR it's not the right file for your OS and /or hardware.. I suggest downloading the file again.. make sure its x86 file if you are using Win7 x86 or 64 bit drivers if Windows 7 is x64.. Good luck!

here's the error from the installation

post-301972-12749663592598.png

You can always remove the existing driver completely and then install the new driver.. **but at your own risk**

To do this go the "Device Manager" in Control Panel

Right click on the name of your Display Adaptar.. select Uninstall.. in the pop-up window check the box saying "Del the driver s/w for this dev" and click OK..

Reboot

Windows 7 will now install the previous driver it had or the default driver..

You can then try to install the correct drivers (either through Win Update or the ones from Intel) that work for you..

However there is a chance that the new drivers won't install again leaving you with default drivers.. if you decide to go ahead rem.. you are doing this at your own risk..

maybe you be better off backing up your valuable files. then format and reinstall windows. you have spent 3 1/2 days trying to figure the problem out. you prolly could have backed up and reformatted and reinstalled in 2 days

maybe you be better off backing up your valuable files. then format and reinstall windows. you have spent 3 1/2 days trying to figure the problem out. you prolly could have backed up and reformatted and reinstalled in 2 days

Or he might have spend two days reformatting and reinstalling only to find the same error replicated. Besides, figuring out the problem leads to knowledge and wisdom. Formatting and reinstalling leads mostly to boredom. Heck, even Freecell is offline for part of that.

Or he might have spend two days reformatting and reinstalling only to find the same error replicated. Besides, figuring out the problem leads to knowledge and wisdom. Formatting and reinstalling leads mostly to boredom. Heck, even Freecell is offline for part of that.

yeah, I also can't spare out a night to backup all my stuff and reinstall because I got a few school assessments due very soon.

But anyway, anything else I can do?

I would verify that you are installing the correct driver. Just because that was the driver that was installed previously doesn't necessarily mean that it is the correct one. I'd remove the previous driver and verify using software (Bellarc Advisor) or a visual inspection to see what video chipset you have. Then I'd download the latest driver from the internet and install that.

If you have trouble uninstalling the old driver cleanly then you can delete it manually (but you'll have to assume all risks here).

You can figure out which file to delete by going to device manager, selecting the Intel GMA card under display adapters, right click on it and select properties, click on the driver tab, then click on driver details. It will then give you the file name and the path to where it is located and you can delete it by navigating to the same location.

Just make sure that the driver version that is selected in the drive file details window is the same that is displayed on the driver tab where you clicked on driver details. It should say something like:

Driver provider: Intel Corporation

Driver Date: xx/xx/200x

Driver Version: x.xx.xx.xxxx

Digital Signer:

Make sure all info matches. When it does, that is the one to delete.

I've used the intel detecting feature from it's website, and it says I have the latest update to my driver.

thanks to everyone who has helped me with this issue, it is now solved

I can't explain how it worked, but I just restarted my pc after reinstalling the intel driver which failed.

But anyway, it is now working.

thanks to all.