• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Z-5500 Hissing

Coldgunner    12

Got a small issue with my Logitech Z-5500's. I'm using all the cable that came with it but through the regular analogue (front, rear and centre) connections I'm getting a lot of hiss. I do not get any hiss through optical connection from PS3. Should I upgrade my cabling to something more shielded? I do have a lot of wires and electrical devices about but unfortunately I cannot do to much with those due to the set up location (i.e. my bedroom)

any help would be gladly appreciated!

The Dark Knight    274

Hissing could be due to a lot of interference from other electronics like you said, but it could also be due to a damaged cable somewhere. Your best bet would be a digital cable, I would suggest Coaxial, some of the good ones are nice and thick and well shielded.

Hissing could be due to a lot of interference from other electronics like you said, but it could also be due to a damaged cable somewhere. Your best bet would be a digital cable, I would suggest Coaxial, some of the good ones are nice and thick and well shielded.

Coldgunner    12

don't think my PC (ageing Shuttle XPC SN41G2) can output to coax :(. my optical input is used by PS3 so I can't use that neither.

Aldur82    5

If you bought a new sound card that has an optical out, then you could use this to switch between your PC and PS3 (can't use both at the same time unfortunately).

The Dark Knight    274

don't think my PC (ageing Shuttle XPC SN41G2) can output to coax :(. my optical input is used by PS3 so I can't use that neither.

Hmmm, then you can opt for an Optical splitter, which will basically give you 2 or more outputs from one input. Not at the same time though, a rocker switch of sorts lets you select which output you want.

The Dark Knight    274

If you bought a new sound card that has an optical out, then you could use this to switch between your PC and PS3 (can't use both at the same time unfortunately).

Yes, this is what I had meant. But as Aldur82 says, your sound card needs to have an optical out obviously. Even if it does not, you can get a decent card quite cheap nowadays.

X@vier    5

I've had my Z-5500 for over 5 years and never had any problems with it, till a few months back, i started getting some hissing as well after i had moved them to my living room, after a few mins of testing i found that the cable that goes from the subwoofer to the control pod was not in properly, after playing around with it the hissing was gone, give that a try first and see it that would fix ur problem.

goji    30

I'd suggest checking out the manufacturer board for similar problems and solutions.