WTF

+1

I recommend firefox with the flashblock extension. Of course, then it renders floating adds as a floating flash button, but it works it makes most of the adds disappear.

The point of having ads on Neowin is to support the site, running a ad blocker here defeats that purpose.

All I will say is with all the contests and free stuff given away to the subs in our forums lately, now is a great time to Subbie up and really support the site, and best of all, no ads, anywhere.

I think the Neowin Staff should make a news post on how to disable text-ads, otherwise we will continue to see threads like that.

They do. The front page has a huge ad about how to become a subscriber 2 and have all the ads removed... At least that is what I see before I login as a Sub 2 on a pc that isn't my home one...

They do. The front page has a huge ad about how to become a subscriber 2 and have all the ads removed... At least that is what I see before I login as a Sub 2 on a pc that isn't my home one...

I concur. I saw that too a short while ago. Simple enough to disable.

I think the Neowin Staff should make a news post on how to disable text-ads, otherwise we will continue to see threads like that.

BAM!

If they're getting too much in the way of using the site, go ahead.

I deny any knowledge of this ad :whistle:

Nah but in all seriousness, we DO have a survey popup question from our main advertiser, this was added because if it is filled in (and they have been) to show better targetted ads on Neowin, if you decide not to take part, the survey does not show again so long as your cookies aren't emptied.

We will NEVER allow popup ads to be displayed on Neowin. After almost 10 years, I have kept good on that statement, so long as the majority of typical members/guests don't block what we have.

The survey window, although not strictly a popup its AS ANNOYING. My ad provider tried to force me to show the survey (which data is ALL SUPPLIED TO THE ADVERTISER, nothing to publisher!) for a campaign but I told them no way at all as its simply the same thing as a popup. Also I had a problem with leaching users data under a "survey" banner which causes confusion (as it did here!) as to who its for exactly. I think any ad where users think its the site owners survey is a FAIL.

I am surprised these ad's (and they are ad's for doing a survey) are allowed and certainly encourage all blocking of ad's tbh. I understand the need but no I dont think they are acceptable for a site stating no popups etc as these are just as bad.

Cant you guys just refuse the specific campaign that is forcing them? or is the monies to great?

This has nothing to do with IE8, I should not have to block ads, and these do not bother me every now and then. But because Neowin is getting these, it is absurd. This is a great community and some random ad floats on top of everything, I trusted Neowin, like wtf they need to fix this or switch to some new provider that doesn't constantly mess with their website with saying Neowin wants to survey you when really it's them doing it and now floating ads that have nothing to do with Neowin!

I don't block ads, and I'm running Firefox 3.6.

I have NEVER seen an ad like that.

It's Internet Exploder.

Having had experience with this exact same survey banner I can tell you its random selection and it also wont reoccur after you see it I believe (until cookie expires) which was an attempt to annoy less (fail).

It took me a fair bit to track down where it was coming from too as I struggled to recreate it.

PM'ing you neo with what I learned about it anyway (which is not too much sadly)

I see a close button. So, what's the problem?

My thoughts exactly. Could just close it instead of taking a screenshot, uploading, and giving that vague of a topic title wasting my time and complaining :laugh:

Since signing upto the forum to post about something i check the site quite oftern and i can honestly say ive never had an overlay advert just the text ones that was mentioned. But as said IE sucks compared to rival browsers =) Firefox FTW :blush:

Having had experience with this exact same survey banner I can tell you its random selection and it also wont reoccur after you see it I believe (until cookie expires) which was an attempt to annoy less (fail).

It took me a fair bit to track down where it was coming from too as I struggled to recreate it.

PM'ing you neo with what I learned about it anyway (which is not too much sadly)

Thanks, I emailed them again :)

Since signing upto the forum to post about something i check the site quite oftern and i can honestly say ive never had an overlay advert just the text ones that was mentioned. But as said IE sucks compared to rival browsers =) Firefox FTW :blush:

If you'd like to disable the in text ads, go here, posted by Neobond. Know in text wasn't your complaint, just thought I'd offer a link.

My thoughts exactly. Could just close it instead of taking a screenshot, uploading, and giving that vague of a topic title wasting my time and complaining :laugh:

Really tbh your missing the point, the same argument could be said for pop ups, there is a close button there too, big deal! but its not for obvious reasons.

Also generally most sites have not know that this is happening and generally its unintended.

Off topic:

Don't what everyone's problem with IE8 is here, but I'll use that over Firefox any day of the week or year!!

In fact, I tell most people to dump that crapware Firefox for SEVERAL other browsers, including IE8 and they all appreciate it in the long run.

On topic:

You may not THINK you need an adblocker, but you DO need an adblocker!! :yes:

On topic:

You may not THINK you need an adblocker, but you DO need an adblocker!! :yes:

The problem is when you block the ads, you're not contributing to a vital source of revenue our site and many others need. If too many people block them, the sites you love might go out of business.