Microsoft Security Essentials right-click context menu

Hello!

I have installed Microsoft Security Essentials on my Windows Vista Home Premium (SP2) machine.

It works fine, but I have a little issue with it when I right-click on a file, I have the option to "Scan with Microsoft Security Essentials..." but it does nothing no matter what type of file I click on.

I have looked online for help on this but I have not been able to find anything. If anyone here could help me I would really appreciate it :)

Thanks a lot :)

Look to see if the data field for the MSE context menu item in the registry is still intact.

I, uh, think most of us would need more guidance than that (perhaps a link?).

Look to see if the data field for the MSE context menu item in the registry is still intact.

Where can I find that?

By the way I uninstall it and install it again update and reboot same problem :-(

You can search for them easily by restricting your search to keys only and matching whole strings (look at the options on the search tool).

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\MSSE

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\MSSE

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\MSSE

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\MSSE

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\MSSE

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Drive\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\MSSE

The values should be:

Name: (Default)

Type: REG_SZ

Data: {0365FE2C-F183-4091-AC82-BFC39FB75C49}

By the way, if you ever want to remove this option you can prefix the data field with "--" without the quotes.

Thank you very much. I check and I have all those keys with the correct value.

If it doesn't work then the problem is with files themselves as context menu entry itself is file. This could be a sign of another underlying problem. Is MSE the only context menu item that has this problem?

If it doesn't work then the problem is with files themselves as context menu entry itself is file. This could be a sign of another underlying problem. Is MSE the only context menu item that has this problem?

Yes, it is all other context menu work like winrar, superantispyware,Tune up, etc...just to mention a few.

Thanks for your help.