New TV, No bass through HT

techbeck

Recently bought a new LG 46in TV. I am trying to use it with a Sony Home Theater System model DAV-HDX500. Its one of those $400 all in one systems.

Anyway, when I bought the TV I found out that it had no RCA out to my receiver. So I went out and bought an optical cable since that was the only audio out the TV had and my receiver had an optical in. All 5 speakers play sound just fine but there is no bass coming from the subwoofer. I ran the speaker test from the receiver and I can here bass then with the test sound...but my XBOX, DVD, Blue-Ray or laptop...no bass is played at all. With my old TV, it plays bass just fine using the RCA cables so I know its not an issue with a bad woofer or the speaker cable.

So I am not sure if it is an issue with the TV, or the all in one HT system.

jerzdawg

Can you post picks of the back of the receiver? I know most TVs that have an optical out for audio is strictly two channel. Your sources should be plugged into the receiver and not the TV. Post back how you have everything connected.

techbeck

Can you post picks of the back of the receiver? I know most TVs that have an optical out for audio is strictly two channel. Your sources should be plugged into the receiver and not the TV. Post back how you have everything connected.

Everything is connected to the TV as so....

HDMI from blueray to TV

HDMI from satellite to TV

HDMI from HDX500 all in one receiver to TV

Optical cable from TV out to receiver in

component cables from XBOX to TV

Before I was using RCA cables for the sound and didnt have an issue. But I noticed one other thing...

When using the RCA cables, my main volume was set at 20 so I could hear things like I like it from all 5 speakers and the sub. Now I am using an optical cable (never changed ANY settings) and my main volume is set at 12 or 13 and can hear sound fine from the 5 speakers, just not the sub. I know the sub is working...just isnt very loud. So this is what I am thinking...let me know if I am being stupid....

I can independently adjust the DBs coming from each of the 5 speakers and the sub from -6db to +6db. Since the optical cable is more efficient and has better sound so I dont need to turn up the main volume as much, I am going to set the 5 speakers to use less DBs (maybe +2 or +3) and keep the sub at 6dbs. This will require me to turn the main volume back up to around 20 and thus putting more sound in to the sub as well...if my thought process is correct anyway.

Also, I know that it is recommended to plug everything in to the receiver, but the receiver is like 4-5 years old and has no HDMI in...so I am trying to get things to work without having to spend a bunch of money.

jerzdawg

gotcha... but just as a test.. can you hook up your bluray via optical directly to receiver. I would not think you would need to change the settings by switching cable types.

techbeck

Here is a pic of the back of my receiver...its old I know...

gotcha... but just as a test.. can you hook up your bluray via optical directly to receiver. I would not think you would need to change the settings by switching cable types.

Did that...same sound bass when the blueray is plugged directly in to the receiver via an optical cable.

Did what I said about adjusting the speaker DBs and such make sense? Think it will work?

post-91978-12760253940223.png

techbeck

My idea worked and my issue is fixed. Bass is a booming. I guess optical audio produces better/louder sound at a lower volume than the RCA cables. First time I used optical cables...so hey, I learned something.