• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Safari 5.0 - Your verdict?

+Frank B.    7,154

My first impressions:

• It's snappier than Safari 4.
  • Safari Reader works quite well. Not sure how webmasters will react to its ability to stitch multipage articles together though.
  • Apple should have released a beta to developers early to have some extensions to show off.
  • IMHO we can think Google for the jump in the major version number. If it weren't for Chrome 5 this would be Safari 4.1.
  • Yay, the blue loading progress bar is back
  • Hallelujah - Safari 5 fixes the loading of animated .gif files. No more waiting for the file to download before the animation starts.

Overall it's a welcome and long-overdue update. We'll have to wait and see what kind of extensions will be available in the near future. The UI remained mostly unchanged, which makes sense - the UI of Safari 4 worked well enough for me. Some will complain about the lack of tabs on top; I don't see those coming back after the failed experiment with them during the beta of Safari 4.

Peacekeeper benchmark comparison of the browsers I have installed:

post-1302-12759868668228.png

How happy are you with Safari 5? Discuss.

DoGooder    0

Sticking with Firefox or Opera. And if it werent for those it would be switching to Chrome.

Safari still has no reasons to switch over from these other 3 browsers. Chromes performance is better, Firefox has better extension support feel (subjective), Opera has better perfomance.

Explosification    2

Love Safari 5.

Prefer it over Chrome now.

Glad they added more support for HTML5 etc.

HTML5Safari.png

drlacus    22

+

I love the new reader feature.

It's fast.

-

Still freezes for some seconds when I finish a download ( anybody else having this ? )

-Dave-    13

It's nice.

It seems to work a lot better if you do a Safari->Reset Safari after installing. Google loaded instantly.

Fluxii Media    7

On it right now, testing it around... text looks horrid compared to on Chrome & Firefox... It feels faster than Firefox though, but not nearly as fast as Chrome 6. So I'll be uninstalling this after tonight.

instant.human    45

On it right now, testing it around... text looks horrid compared to on Chrome & Firefox... It feels faster than Firefox though, but not nearly as fast as Chrome 6. So I'll be uninstalling this after tonight.

to be honest, I don't see much of a difference in text rendering...

post-65223-1275989193363.pngpost-65223-12759892035374.png

John.D    56

Installed it for about 5 mins. It doesnt block ads on every site, and it still doesnt save passwords. Verdict: I removed it. I had to delete the files in programdata/apple/installer cache first. Otherwise, it wouldnt install

dknm    11

From those pictures , there's better text contrast .

But as I'm typing , it doesn't seem to bother me .

Swiping back and forth is a lot snappier , also there's a noticeable loading enhancement .

As for the reader , webmasters need more time to adjust to the function - When it works as intended it's great , but it's not quite there yet .

That being said , I won't go as far as install it on windows . It looks odd , no matter how awesome it is !

Did i mention...addons?! <3

-Dave-    13

Installed it for about 5 mins. It doesnt block ads on every site, and it still doesnt save passwords. Verdict: I removed it. I had to delete the files in programdata/apple/installer cache first. Otherwise, it wouldnt install

We have to enable this.

Go to preferences -> Autofill -> Tick "Usernames and Passwords"

post-1042-12759897857952.png

John.D    56

I did it didnt make any diff

enigma-penguin    17

As it stands yes it is snappier and text is a little better, looks like they finally got rid of that crappy GIF problem as well. I do have to agree with the above, when it works the reader functionality is nice... The problem is that it doesn't always work properly right now.

Steve B.    467

Basically anyone who uses Windows has no real reason to be using Safari other than for the text rendering options. Mac users can use it because it's one of the best for their platform. On Windows it's generally bad, same applies to iTunes.

seta-san    1,437

my impression is overall very positive. infact all four of the major browsers seem to be doing extremely well in the adoption of the W3C html 5 specs.

John.D    56

Basically anyone who uses Windows has no real reason to be using Safari other than for the text rendering options. Mac users can use it because it's one of the best for their platform. On Windows it's generally bad, same applies to iTunes.

Thats the only reason I'm using Itunes (to sync contacts). Since there's more than 1 program I can sync my songs with. If there was a free program that can sync contacts to an Ipod, I wouldnt use Itunes

MrFuji    2

I agree with you there... although I still have to test Safari 5 on Windows - perhaps it improved, who knows :)

btw. when hitting the reply button, Safari crashed here on 10.6.3. First. Time. Ever. ;)

Sub_Zero_Alchemist    29

<snipped>

Why Bother replying to the thread then if you don't.

Back on Topic, So far so good much better than safari 4..the reader feature is pretty damn neat feature, will continue to test drive Safari 5 throughly.

Edited by John S.

Mr. Gibs    3,865

Dunno how well it runs on Mac, but on Windows its still terrible:

- Sluggish

- Memory usage is kindoff large, 186mb used up with only google open

- Apple software updater is installed and set to automatic even though I unchecked the option in the installer

- Doesn't uninstall itself cleanly, leaves behind apple software updater, apple application support and bonjour

- No apparent way to block ads, almost every browser has an extension for this or built in

- No windows 7 superbar support

Here's my peacekeeper result:

• Like 1

Lamp0    654

Why is it bad on Windows? Does it do something special on Mac, that it doesn't do on Windows?

Also iTunes works fine for me on Windows. I'd have difficulty using anything else.

Zeet    0

Love Safari 5.

Prefer it over Chrome now.

Glad they added more support for HTML5 etc.

HTML5Safari.png

Chrome 5 scores 142 points.

So much for Safari being good at html5

Kirkburn    172

to be honest, I don't see much of a difference in text rendering...

The difference would occur on Windows (Apple smoothing versus MS smoothing).

andrew_f    26

Chrome 5 scores 142 points.

So much for Safari being good at html5

It is good at HTML5... another browser running a newer version of WebKit doesn't make the other bad.

Zeet    0

It is good at HTML5... another browser running a newer version of WebKit doesn't make the other bad.

But Safari 5 is newer than Chrome 5, shouldn't that make Safari 5 be using the newer version of webkit?

Kirkburn    172

True, though it is a little odd that Safari 5 came out later and has a lower score. But, Webkit isn't everything about a browser.