• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Safari 5.0 - Your verdict?

Quillz    1,011

Has some odd bugs, haven't been able to use any extensions yet and doesn't strike me as any faster than Safari 4. Overall, it's a very good evolutionary release, but there's nothing revolutionary about it.

Zeet    0

True, though it is a little odd that Safari 5 came out later and has a lower score. But, Webkit isn't everything about a browser.

Webkit does need animated png support though :/

Quattrone    19

Basically anyone who uses Windows has no real reason to be using Safari other than for the text rendering options. Mac users can use it because it's one of the best for their platform. On Windows it's generally bad, same applies to iTunes.

I completely agree, for some unknow reasons, they make thw Windows versions of these software so bad that it does not feel a Windows app. It feels more an Apple app trying to be in a platform that is not part of it.

rawr_boy81    41

What I think is really good is that with this version of Safari there that plugins can now access Core Animation which now really boosts Flash performance (lower cpu utilisation with 10.1 RC7) and CCS animations are now hardware accelerated using Core Animation as well. I for one am really happy and looking forward to the next version of Safari which will hopefully be based on Webkit2.

I agree with you there... although I still have to test Safari 5 on Windows - perhaps it improved, who knows :)

btw. when hitting the reply button, Safari crashed here on 10.6.3. First. Time. Ever. ;)

You've definitely got something broken there; then again when ever I upgrade Safari I delete all my old settings files so that it is a clean load up for the first time - no problems yet, not a single crash and I'm using the latest RC of Flash 10.1 (RC7)

MrFuji    2

You've definitely got something broken there; then again when ever I upgrade Safari I delete all my old settings files so that it is a clean load up for the first time - no problems yet, not a single crash and I'm using the latest RC of Flash 10.1 (RC7)

Don't know what should be broken really... I'm generally very careful when installing software.

Might be related to the fact that I reset Safari and continued to use it without closing it once... or it's the click to flash plugin that's working right now, but hasn't been tested on Safari 5 yet :)

Hasn't happened again yet, so I hope it was a one time issue.

cork1958    2,003

Why Bother replying to the thread then if you don't.

Back on Topic, So far so good much better than safari 4..the reader feature is pretty damn neat feature, will continue to test drive Safari 5 throughly.

Off topic:

It's called freedom of speech. Besides, isn't that what everyone does here so they can get their post count up there and then start a thread saying Yay! I made it to a million posts in a month?!!

On topic:

Safari smokes!!

To bad it's Apple's crap, otherwise I'd use it.

Same with Chrome. To bad Google controls it!

Still wouldn't use it though. I'd use SRWare Iron then.

Commodore Max    2

It's not Apple's main priority and it shows. Most of the changes are minor. I'll still use it on Windows, for now.

Carbon Fiber    48

Seems like Chrome is still doing fine so no need for safari.. :)

post-333400-12760014288168.png

Rudy    457

I'll wait a few weeks and if the extensions I'm looking for are available I'll switch ;)

Kirkburn    172
Off topic:

It's called freedom of speech. Besides, isn't that what everyone does here so they can get their post count up there and then start a thread saying Yay! I made it to a million posts in a month?!!

You don't have freedom of speech here.

And no.

On topic: the reader thing looks interesting. Should be some interesting review articles popping up.

Jase    130

Loving Safari 5 sofar, the reader thing just needs a little more work to be compatible with some pages.. but Safari 5 is great!

safari5.png

As you can see my Safari 5 is minimal (I like keyboard shortcuts more than the trackpad) Also like the polished look to some areas of the browser *claps*

.Neo    1,834
comparison of the browsers I have installed:

Odd. Safari scores much higher here. Maybe because my Mac is faster?

Anyway, I'm really liking it. During everyday browsing I don't notice much faster loading times of websites compared to Safari 4.0.5. Loving the reader feature and the fact the address loading bar is back. I absolutely hated the awkward purple loading section that didn't tell you how far it actually was. Too bad it still doesn't respect the Graphite interface setting though...

+Frank B.    7,154

Odd. Safari scores much higher here. Maybe because my Mac is faster?

Anyway, I'm really liking it. During everyday browsing I don't notice much faster loading times of websites compared to Safari 4.0.5. Loving the reader feature and the fact the address loading bar is back. I absolutely hated the awkward purple loading section that didn't tell you how far it actually was. Too bad it still doesn't respect the Graphite interface setting though...

Could be - my Mac is a lowly 20" iMac (C2D 2.0 GHz, Radeon 2400 HD).

And yeah, I'm satisfied with Safari 5.

Elliott    235

Chrome 5 scores 142 points.

So much for Safari being good at html5

I don't know if you noticed, but the only differences between Chrome 5's HTML5 support and Safari 5's HTML5 support is that Chrome supports Ogg Vorbis and Theora as well as H.264, which gives it extra points. Safari 5 also gets docked some points even though it does support some things, like AAC audio.

In other words: Safari 5 supports just as much of actual HTML5 as Chrome 5. It's just the codec support that differs.

.Neo    1,834

Could be - my Mac is a lowly 20" iMac (C2D 2.0 GHz, Radeon 2400 HD).

Ah right, in that case my Mac Pro might perform a tad better. :p

Timan    558

Reader should work on neowin now.

Just uses the <article> tag.

Ethere    4

Here's my test running on Windows 7. Loving everything about version 5.

post-337-12760059355606.jpg

Xtreme $niper    51

On it right now, testing it around... text looks horrid compared to on Chrome & Firefox... It feels faster than Firefox though, but not nearly as fast as Chrome 6. So I'll be uninstalling this after tonight.

This may have already been mentioned (I did not read pages 2-4 yet) but it sounds like you're a Windows user. Safari on Windows tries to replicate the text smoothing that OS X does on macs. Thus, you're not used to it.. and it probably doesn't look as good as it does on OS X in the first place...

As for people complaining about iTunes, before I bought a mac I used iTunes religiously. It does everything and anything better than Windows Media Player (for music, anyway. I never watched videos with either program) and anyone who complains about RAM usage must have only 512MB of RAM in their system. Whiners.

Mr. Gibs    3,865
As for people complaining about iTunes, before I bought a mac I used iTunes religiously. It does everything and anything better than Windows Media Player (for music, anyway. I never watched videos with either program) and anyone who complains about RAM usage must have only 512MB of RAM in their system. Whiners.

The only thing iTunes does better than WMP is library management and RAM usage isn't the only issue it once had. I dunno about recent versions but like many others here I used to use iTunes and eventually gave up because just how sluggish the whole program felt. Apple claims with every new version that performance has improved, but many of us have given up believing it since when we tried it nothing really changed.

Not to mention the other problem it once had involving the Apple software updater downloading Safari and updates even when the user didn't allow it, for the most part that has been fixed but not completely. I installed safari 5 today and even though i declined to automatically update the program, Apple software updater was installed and set to automatic. Not to mention when I uninstalled Safari, it wasn't completely removed; Software updater, application support, and bonjour still existed on my system and had to be uninstalled separately.

• Like 1

Xtreme $niper    51

Safari smokes!!

To bad it's Apple's crap, otherwise I'd use it.

Wow, fanboyism at its stupidest.

• Like 3

e-berlin.org    77

Safari is my second favorite browser after Opera and its version 5 is REALLY fast. I have it installed and I still use it for cross-browser compatibility tests.

Xtreme $niper    51

The only thing iTunes does better than WMP is library management and RAM usage isn't the only issue it once had. I dunno about recent versions but like many others here I used to use iTunes and eventually gave up because just how sluggish the whole program felt. Apple claims with every new version that performance has improved, but many of us have given up believing it since when we tried it nothing really changed.

Not to mention the other problem it once had involving the Apple software updater downloading Safari and updates even when the user didn't allow it, for the most part that has been fixed but not completely. I installed safari 5 today and even though i declined to automatically update the program, Apple software updater was installed and set to automatic. Not to mention when I uninstalled Safari, it wasn't completely removed; Software updater, application support, and bonjour still existed on my system and had to be uninstalled separately.

To be fair, by the time Safari for Windows came out, along with the whole automatic install shenanigans thing, I was already a Mac user so I never experienced that. However, aside from that...

The main reason why I like iTunes is because of the library management. My whole music library is in one, super-organized place that I can back up on the fly without even blinking. The issue with it being sluggish is something I never really experienced, and I have 2000+ songs so I have no idea what kind of hardware people were running at the time. I was on a 3.0 Ghz P4 w/ HT and 1GB of RAM. Not a super-beast of a machine, but it seemed to handle iTunes well. Granted, I do understand that scrolling was sometimes sluggish, but I didn't consider that a deal-breaker. I had the thing minimized on random more often than I was browsing my library.

Mr. Gibs    3,865

To be fair, by the time Safari for Windows came out, along with the whole automatic install shenanigans thing, I was already a Mac user so I never experienced that. However, aside from that...

The main reason why I like iTunes is because of the library management. My whole music library is in one, super-organized place that I can back up on the fly without even blinking. The issue with it being sluggish is something I never really experienced, and I have 2000+ songs so I have no idea what kind of hardware people were running at the time. I was on a 3.0 Ghz P4 w/ HT and 1GB of RAM. Not a super-beast of a machine, but it seemed to handle iTunes well. Granted, I do understand that scrolling was sometimes sluggish, but I didn't consider that a deal-breaker. I had the thing minimized on random more often than I was browsing my library.

Oh I agree with you that iTunes library management is excellent, but the issue with sluggishness isn't just me; if you search on any forum you'll most likely find people who have had a problem with it. I do have a lot of music on my hardrives (over 50gb worth) so that may be part of the problem, but WMP/Winamp/fobar2000/Zune have absolutely no problem handling it so I expect the same from iTunes. I mean I'm sure if I was on a Mac, iTunes will be able to.

I'm going to assume that the issue of sluggishness is because the program is just cross-complied over to Windows and that Apple tries to keep the UI the same, but at least with Safari 5 they've tried to make it feel more like a Windows application so hopefully this continues and iTunes gets a similar update too.

NeoXY    7

I like it alot except I wish the URL bar would also double function as a search bar. That honestly would be my chief complaint. Apart from that, everything else is super nice. Love the reader function. Will I be switching over from Chrome though? The answer would be no.

First reason is the superbar, and the second reason is Chrome's new bookmark sync function. Its nice, its simple. And lastly Chrome still feels snappier than Safari.

Malisk    142

It's much nicer to see than at the time when Safari 4 was released. I felt Safari 4 focused so much on UI features like that Top Sites thing and Coverflow for bookmarks, rubbish like that. This version gets down to the core features again, stuff that actually makes the difference when browsing the web. :p Speed, Safari Reader, massive HTML5 support improvements (which is very good to see - this makes for one less weak link that'd otherwise hold back web developers, with only IE remaining now), and extension support, to hopefully finally make Safari not be this stupidly oversimplified incapable browser anymore, where you can adjust its features to your needs, like any other good browser today.

In short, Safari 5 sets the bar at a much higher and comfortable level when compared to cutting edge browsers like Opera and Google Chrome. I'm sticking with Chrome 6 though, since Chrome is simply incredible, having plenty of useful features Firefox 3.x lacks, and none of the cruft that I don't need in Opera.