• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Safari 5.0 - Your verdict?

KoL    36

It's a good browser but I just didn't like it. Back to Chrome 6, for now.

This. Well I like it but Chrome is still my default browser.

Quillz    1,011

I don't think I will be downloading it because I can't stand Apple's UI, it's so drab and lifeless. Judging by the screen shots I've seen I take it Safari 5 isn't skinnable natively either?

Otherwise I'll stick with Opera until IE 9 makes it's presence.

You can "skin" the window chrome of Mac OS X and its native applications by using third-party haxies like ShapeShifter. But otherwise, no, Safari doesn't support custom themes the way Firefox does.

But with extensions, this might change. Who knows.

rawr_boy81    41
And the only example you provide for that is... Notepad and WordPad. Da dum.

So I am meant to list *EVERY* component of Windows that is not standard?

Actually I think it makes a lot of sense. Ribbon for productivity apps (WordPad, Paint, Office), but not Notepad because, well, there'd be nothing to put on the Ribbon...

Of course but use a consistent set of widgets. If you have different ways of doing things for different scenarios then that is great but make sure that each scenario uses the standard consistently.

sundayx    127

I updated, loaded up yahoo.com, crashed. Going back to Firefox/Chrome.

Xtreme $niper    51

Would the experience be different? yes but who gives a crap - a Windows users want their applications to behave like Windows applications and Mac users want their Mac applications to behave like Mac applications.

Ah, but see that's the problem. Apple is its own software and hardware vendor for a reason. They like to make things look and work exactly as they can test it in their research labs. Anything else is not Apple quality.

So to say that some users would be using iTunes while others would be using a plugin of some kind for Windows Media Player (an application that can change at any given notice by Microsoft (with or without them actually notifying Apple ahead of time), thus potentially breaking the iPhone/iPod sync functionality) would be totally against Apple's way of working.

Windows is a world all about putting pieces of a puzzle provided by third party vendors into one gigantic puzzle that makes up your computer. Pieces of the puzzle can be missing, or they can be broken at any given moment. Apple does not like that way of computing, and thus provides their own integrated solution to make sure that what they spend years on research and development for is seen/used/experienced the way that they intended.

Blue screens of death would only happen because third party hardware vendors would provide faulty drivers and it would cause Windows to flip because something failed. Everyone pinned this as a Windows problem even though it was more of a vendor problem. Microsoft got all the bad rep for it (try mentioning "Windows" without someone else mentioning "BSOD") even though it wasn't entirely their fault. Apple was just smarter and took a different approach to ensure that they'd do whatever they could to minimize any possibilities of instability for reasons that were beyond their control.

So I am meant to list *EVERY* component of Windows that is not standard?

I don't mean to double-post but I saw this after my other post... (neat! it automatically merged my posts)

Don't worry, I agree with you. Windows is famous for its lack of GUI consistency.

The only thing that's consistent about Windows are the things that are wrong about it... such as the fact that dialog boxes say "OK" and "Cancel" as opposed to real descriptive options that you can figure out what they mean without reading the error message above it like "Save" or "Don't Save". Or a better example... when connecting a usb drive to my Windows VM, instead of "Yes" or "No" to answer something like "do you want windows to mount this drive?", I'd rather see "mount with windows" or "mount with mac" like it currently does it.

Also the menu bar, general colour scheme, and usually button styling is fairly consistent. But when it comes down to it, there is a reason why applications for the Mac don't just look better, but function better. The guidelines that Apple poses upon the developers are much more descriptive, clear, and even publicly available. I had no idea Microsoft even had an equivalent, to be honest.

Sub_Zero_Alchemist    29

I updated, loaded up yahoo.com, crashed. Going back to Firefox/Chrome.

It loaded up fine for me [did a clean install], did you install over previous version or was it a clean install.

bogas04    195

Nothing but Safari 4.1

WigglesTheFish    6

I like what I've seen so far in Safari 5, and I am anxious to see what people do with extensions. I'll probably continue to use Safari 5 along with Chrome as my two main browsers, but Chrome will continue to retain the "default" browser position for now. I really wished Apple would've given us at least the option to have tabs on top like in Safari 4 Beta.

Quillz    1,011

I like what I've seen so far in Safari 5, and I am anxious to see what people do with extensions. I'll probably continue to use Safari 5 along with Chrome as my two main browsers, but Chrome will continue to retain the "default" browser position for now. I really wished Apple would've given us at least the option to have tabs on top like in Safari 4 Beta.

Apple doesn't seem to be big on choice sometimes.

Explore    2

Nothing but Safari 4.1

Your probably on Tiger. 5.0 is Leopard and later.

bjoswald    210

After using it for a couple hours, I must say I enjoyed it a lot. I even removed Chrome and Firefox from my PC so I can use it full time. It's quick, looks good, and integrates well with the rest of the Apple software I use. I know that's blasphemous to some people, but hey, I haven't had any trouble with Apple software that wasn't fixed with a patch or something. I think I'll stick with this browser for quite some time (unless something better comes along).

RoomKid    15

Here's something new, if you closed a tab by mistake. Hit CMD-Z and it reopens.

Quillz    1,011

Annoying bugs aside, I really think Safari 5 will be great once we start to see some extensions for it. Adblock, advanced tab options, etc. I'm hoping extensions will start to appear sooner rather than later.

+Frank B.    7,154

Annoying bugs aside, I really think Safari 5 will be great once we start to see some extensions for it. Adblock, advanced tab options, etc. I'm hoping extensions will start to appear sooner rather than later.

They've started to appear already: Click me.

MrFuji    2

What do you guys think, will there be paid extensions in the near future?

SmugMac    1

It's really good, easily better than Firefox, but I'm staying with Google Chrome :D

.Neo    1,834

Just so we're clear about this, your bone of contentment is that the interfaces aren't consistent on Windows XP?

I believe I also gave examples of Microsoft software running on Windows 7 with inconsistent interfaces... Not to mention the fact Windows XP (and early) artifacts can still be found throughout Windows 7.

And what's wrong with the Ribbon interface? What exactly isn't consistent about it?

Its design throughout different applications?

Nothing but Safari 4.1

Safari 5 requires Mac OS X Leopard or Snow Leopard. Safari 4.1 is for Tiger.

bogas04    195

Safari 5 requires Mac OS X Leopard or Snow Leopard. Safari 4.1 is for Tiger.

I meant its not a major release , but to me its just 4.1...

Xtreme $niper    51

Here's something new, if you closed a tab by mistake. Hit CMD-Z and it reopens.

I have been waiting for this forever... Glad to see they've put it in, even though the normal Cmd+Shift+T that other browsers use would have sufficed as well.

eilegz    122

well i tried, the reader thing its great, but safari on windows feels slow and its cpu and ram intensive against other browsers.

firefox its still the best average in performance, chrome its ram hog and opera its very cpu intensive.

anyways in speed area im very impressed with opera 10.6, its fast, its customizable (not like chrome) and it have more feature than chrome, i still dont understand why its people using chrome, i hate the interface (which i cant change), opera its really so underrated and chrome its so overrated.

Safari its good on mac but on windows it needs more work to do.

Elliott    235

I'd say extension support is pretty big...

.Neo    1,834

Okay. Extensions are a pretty big thing and looking at Google's Chrome much less is warranted to jump a full version point.

Steve B.    467

Can someone try to reproduce this?

Open numerous tabs making sure one is ANY IPB 3.x board, then close the last one, go to any thread on the IPB board and click Add Reply or the fast reply box. Your closed tab magically reopens.

crazzyyfool    29

Can someone try to reproduce this?

Open numerous tabs making sure one is ANY IPB 3.x board, then close the last one, go to any thread on the IPB board and click Add Reply or the fast reply box. Your closed tab magically reopens.

Yup, I get that too. :shifty:

hagjohn    2,295

It's pretty laggy on my macbook. I haven't had too much time to play with it though.