[iOS 4] Enable Unsupported Features on iPhone 3G/iPod touch 2G

I watched a video from youtube that showed a kid using iPhone 3G with iOS and multi-tasking enabled, said it wasn't really sluggish and the video showed it. Maybe it's better to start from scratch with your install iOS instead of "Upgrade"? Or does it just wipe your device anyways?

Another thing too is, on Apple's site it shows that iOS has 5x zoom for the camera app, does this only apply for iPhone 4 and 3GS?

Side note, battery meter on my iPhone 3G works just fine with JB, still don't know why they can't just enable it in the new OS..

I can confirm that the digital zoom does work with the iPhone 3G. I've just tried it. :cool:

iOS4 doesn't event install on 2G phones? How can you enable it..

Who mentioned 2G (i.e. first-gen iPhone)? I've installed it on an iPhone 3G.

Can the 3G record video with iOS 4 or do you still need a third party app?

Nope. Unless there is a .plist setting somewhere to enable video in the camera app.

You guys are definitely kidding yourselves if you think drawing a wallpaper is too much for iPhone 3G to handle. It's all just marketing and making people want to upgrade. Sure, we can figure out how to enable it, but then you have to jailbreak your iPhone and edit a plist file. The normal consumer starts to have features adding up that they are missing and eventually says screw it and upgrades.

Multitasking is the exception. The iPhone 3G barely has enough RAM to run one app at a time sometimes, so I know it doesn't have enough to run multitasking reliably, but if I can play some music in Slacker while I check email or respond to a text, then that's good enough for me. I'm probably getting the iPhone 4 anyway, so this is just holding me over for a couple weeks.

Oh, by the way, I should have mentioned in that last post, thanks for the info. I was about to go look that up myself. It worked just fine on my 3G.

I'm not sure about redistribution of that file, or else I'd post it with the mods already added so all you have to do is replace the file on your 3G. I think that might be against the rules though. If a mod wants to let us know I'll post it if it's cool.

Still makes me mad I can't test it because I am on Windows.. and all my friends use Windows......... realmad.gif

Still makes me mad I can't test it because I am on Windows.. and all my friends use Windows......... realmad.gif

Trust me I understand :laugh:

the Reason the iPhone 2G and other are not officially supported is cause of the CPU and Ram .

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the iPhone 2G has the same CPU and RAM as the 3G, does it not?

Seems like an artificial limitation to me.

I enabled these hacks on beta 1 of iOS4 (when the redsn0w jailbreak was released for that) and both the wallpaper and multitaskiing seemed to make the phone slower than what it already is - so I'm happy enough not to enable it.

Roll on the iPhone 4! (and then Ill put android on my 3G)

Well I've disable multitasking and homescreen wallpaper. Multitasking makes the system sluggish and drains the battery quickly. I had just the homescreen wallpaper enabled but when closing an app and it zooms back then the homescreen icons fly back on the screen everything is jerky and unresponsive. Plus I couldn't find a way to just have a blank homescreen like before. You have to have a wallpaper. Unless I missed a setting somewhere. :blink:

Just make an all-black (or any solid color) image and set that as your wallpaper.

Who mentioned 2G (i.e. first-gen iPhone)? I've installed it on an iPhone 3G.

My bad, I just skimmed the title and saw 3G and 2G, didn't realize it was referring to the iPod touch. Still nice though, but I suspect performance won't be spectacular.

I am lost as to why it wouldn't show battery percentage on a 3G?

The same reason you can't use the voice control. Apple wanted to push people to upgrade to the 3GS.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the iPhone 2G has the same CPU and RAM as the 3G, does it not?

Seems like an artificial limitation to me.

yep you are correct so both are out on running some of the iOS 4 features

I'm sorry in advance, i don't want to sound like a total noob, but this is my first time modifying a .plist

Could someone tell me the exact verbiage to use, and where exactly within the file to add it?

Thanks in advance!

You know we haven't ANYTHING really about the gamecenter, since its first discussion back at the unveiling of iOS 4. I wonder how its coming and will it be working on release of 4

• 1 month later...

Source: Gumball Tech

[/left]

hi there, i am not a complete newbie, yet i dont seem to be able to fully understand how to edit the plist file.

would u be kind and post a screen shot of the plist file with the editing done to it so i would know exactly how to manage it?

Thank You in advance!

• 7 months later...

i did this few days ago and my 3g runs beautifully its faster than it was before apps that crashed before dnt nw and for the battery i put in a 1800mA battery so thats all good