• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

XCode 4 screens starting to leak

Rudy    457

Screenshots for the new version of Xcode are starting to leak:

http://twitpic.com/1vl8r9/full

http://twitpic.com/1vjcml/full

Looking pretty good so far.....I heard developers who aren't at the WWDC might get a preview version June 21st

Here's some comments from a dev who has it:

Xcode 4 is still for WWDC participants only, but according to twitter search, what do we know about it? Here's what I've found:

* Wow. Xcode4 has skins! Never saw that one coming.

* what do you think of the code snippet feature of xcode4? LOVE IT!

* git support in xcode4, WOOOOOT! ^_^

* Xcode4 summary thus far: SDI interface, better intellisense

* The new XCode has a time-machine like time-slider for showing you how your code changed over time.

* xcode4 using new LLVM compiler. 2x compile speed improvement. up to 25% runtime speed improvement. on iphone up to 60%. bye gcc

* New is the lldb debugger, a replacement for gdb

* The new version of the developer tools consolidates the Xcode editing tools and Interface Builder into a single application

Elliott    235

The second one is very believable (http://twitpic.com/1vjcml/full), but...

Just take a good look at the first one (http://twitpic.com/1vl8r9/full). Anything seem wrong to you? It's basically a Photoshopped cross between Xcode and Visual Studio. :laugh: You can even see the Windows ClearType font anti-aliasing on the VS components and then the Photoshop font anti-aliasing on things like the "Groups & Files" header.

Rob2687    72
up to 25% runtime speed improvement. on iphone up to 60%

:o

SharpGreen    231

The second one is slightly believable, but just take a good look at the first one. Anything seem wrong to you? :laugh:

I thought that was funny. Probably due to the alleged skin feature.

TemperingPick    2

First one's theme look a lot like the Slate theme in Visual Studio 2010.

Elliott    235

I thought that was funny. Probably due to the alleged skin feature.

I doubt that's even a skin. It looks so wildly different from the second screenshot, and a lot more more Xcode 3?crossed with VS. The font anti-aliasing is so wrong on some parts of it too.

Rob2687    72

Yeah...That whole side bar is from VS with XCode stuff cropped and pasted in.

Rudy    457

Yeah...That whole side bar is from VS with XCode stuff cropped and pasted in.

+1

this one (http://twitpic.com/1vl8r9/full) is probably fake (they left out a bunch of WIndows icons ;)) but the other one might be legit

Stetson    180

Yeah, the one with the blue background and the "Toolbox" tab on the left is definitely a fake/photoshop.

Boz    1,324

I would say most exciting thing for me personally would be combining Xcode and IB into one app.. that would be fantastic.

tablet_user    41

Is todays pc user so mentally backwards for skinning everything that even an IDE has available skins? :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

Jan    402

First one is obviously fake, I would bet my house on it.

Second one, not so sure.

Quillz    934

Skins seem very un-Apple to me. Especially with Xcode, what's the point?

Elliott    235

Is todays pc user so mentally backwards for skinning everything that even an IDE has available skins? :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

Yea, I'm thinking that tweet was fake. Apple doesn't do skinning in any other app. If Apple were to ever start allowing skinning in apps, I think Xcode is one of the last places Apple would do it.

Rudy    457

I have a hard time believing the skin thing..... I personally hate skinable apps

vhane    94

Oh how I wish that I could get a Vim editing mode in Xcode.

sbauer    32

The first one is a Visual Studio 2010-Xcode hybrid Photoshop job.

I wish xcode had tabs, though. Xcode leaves a lot to be desired for me.

virtorio    3,063

Apple Visual XCode 2010

Stetson    180

Actually working on a useful project in XCode usually ends up with windows scattered everywhere. A nice, unified interface with tabs and an integrated interface builder would be awesome.

The second screenshot looks pretty credible except for the iTunes style LCD display on the toolbar. I guess it could happen and might be nice if done well, but it seems a bit odd.

• Like 1

Quillz    934

You know, when they say "skins," is it possible to they mean being able to theme the window, like what you can do in Terminal? Since Leopard, Terminal has had a few window themes you could choose from, one of which makes the window like black transparent glass, and then you can have custom fonts, etc. Perhaps that's what they meant by "skins," unless Xcode already let you do that?

sbauer    32

Actually working on a useful project in XCode usually ends up with windows scattered everywhere. A nice, unified interface with tabs and an integrated interface builder would be awesome.

Yeah, it's a mess. To be honest, there isn't much I like about Xcode. The email client view (with the preview pane on the bottom and the files listed at the top) is useless to me. I'd rather work in Netbeans than Xcode, or Visual Studio without ReSharper (and that's saying something).

rawr_boy81    41

Maybe the move to Clang/LLVM/etc. is the reason for the gap between 10.6 and 10.7 - that Apple is moving completely over which hopefully will translate into improved run time performance :) Maybe also improvement in LLVM will translate into better OpenGL performance as well :D

.Neo    1,834

You know, when they say "skins," is it possible to they mean being able to theme the window, like what you can do in Terminal? Since Leopard, Terminal has had a few window themes you could choose from, one of which makes the window like black transparent glass, and then you can have custom fonts, etc. Perhaps that's what they meant by "skins," unless Xcode already let you do that?

That's what I thought too.

However, it's pretty obvious at least some of the screen shots are fake. Position of the close-buttons on the right side (should be left on Mac OS X) and font rendering give it away.

neufuse    3,550

yeah, so if the one pic (the one that is definatly not visual studio) is actually xcode4 wow do they have one ugly ui for it.... whats up with the iTunes esc like feel? especially with the middle "status" window?