Trying to install Win2K over Windows 7

I have Windows 7 on my computer and an old Win2K install CD. I would like to go backwards to play legacy games that are not compatible with Windows 7. When I try to boot from the Win2K install CD, it halts on a '0x0000007B' error. I have looked at some support sites from MS, but got confused. I want to simply wipe everything and start anew with Win2K. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks so much!

How new is your computer? Some newer computers will need drivers before it can be installed and some just won't install at all. You might have more luck with WinXP

That error means it doesn't have a driver for your mass storage controller. Windows 2000 and XP only understand IDE and a handful of SCSI cards out of the box. The simplest way is to go into your BIOS and set your storage controller to legacy/compatible/IDE mode if you can. If not, you'll either have to get the specific "F6"/text-mode drivers for your storage controller and load them with a floppy drive (USB floppy drive will work), or slipstream the correct drivers for your system into the installation media (using nLite would be the easiest way of doing that).

Thank you for your suggestion. It would work for the stated purpose, but I also want to get 7 off my computer. I have trouble using it (due to how it looks and the agent thing) and the sounds are just nuts... I totally want to wipe 7 and just have a computer running Win2K, which I prefer enormously.

Why on earth would you take a Windows 7 computer and downgrade it by 10 years just to play some old games?

Windows 2000 wouldn't even work on most modern computers, because there aren't any win2k drivers/software for modern hardware.

Install Windows 2000 or XP in a virtual machine (with VirtualBox) to play the games, it would be completely retarded to replace Windows 7 with an old, unsupported OS just for that.

How on earth does Windows 7's looks make it hard to use? And what do you mean 'agent' thing? I don't comprehend you.

Why on earth would you take a Windows 7 computer and downgrade it by 10 years just to play some old games?

Windows 2000 wouldn't even work on most modern computers, because there aren't any win2k drivers/software for modern hardware.

Also, you'd lose A LOT OF MODERN features, as well as lose access to a LOT of modern applications. You'd lose Aero, be forced into classic-ugly-theme only, and likely wouldn't even get better than 640x480x16 color graphics because of the lack of a graphics driver.

Install Windows 2000 or XP in a virtual machine (with VirtualBox) to play the games, it would be completely retarded to replace Windows 7 with an old, unsupported OS just for that.

When I first saw the thread I was surprised you hadn't posted already lol I knew you'd come for this one right away. Give it up my friend not everyone wants Win7 and they're free to do what they want.... I have to admit Win2k is VERY old but depending on what he wants to do it might just suit his needs

Btw for the storage issue, try to go in the bios and see if there's an option for IDE compatibility or something, that might allow you to install Win2k

Lazure, this comes down to personal preference. I disagree with you which looks better. Also, as I stated, I can use Win2K. That makes it a better OS for me. I don't want to argue about why I should keep Windows 7. I liked Win2K and I want it back. Sorry if you disagree with my choice.

Sadly, I have Windows 7 Home Premium. I wish I could just run in XP mode. That would make my day, believe me!

If you were fine with XP, why not just use XP instead of 2000? XP at least still works with a large chunk of modern software and devices.

But still, get a program called VirtualBox (it's free), install XP or 2000 inside that.. install guest additions from the VirtualBox menu... and bam, you have a ready to go old fashioned OS box to run your stuff in, and it would prevent sacrificing modern hardware performance for the sake of using an old OS.

I can see your point Lazure about WinXP. Problem is I own Win2K not WinXP. Really, either would be acceptable. I am adamant about getting 7 off my computer though. It's been insanely frustrating.

Lazure, this comes down to personal preference. I disagree with you which looks better. Also, as I stated, I can use Win2K. That makes it a better OS for me. I don't want to argue about why I should keep Windows 7. I liked Win2K and I want it back. Sorry if you disagree with my choice.

Sadly, I have Windows 7 Home Premium. I wish I could just run in XP mode. That would make my day, believe me!

I wouldn't say go to Win7 just because it's better. I would say do if from a security standpoint. Some programs, although not many, won't even support Win2K anymore for installation.

You don't need "XP Mode", just use VBox list several others have suggested. Or dual boot.

You can do what you want, but you're asking for trouble if you connecting that box to the internet :pinch:

Unless of course you know how to protect yourself completely.

I can see your point Lazure about WinXP. Problem is I own Win2K not WinXP. Really, either would be acceptable. I am adamant about getting 7 off my computer though. It's been insanely frustrating.

i simply cant understand it. why in hell would you want to take such a huge step backwards. whats your problem with win 7 anyways. it is far superior than win2k as far a stability, security and efficiency. if its a brand name computer that you bought from DELL, HP, ETC good luck getting tech support if you put on win2k.

Thank you for your suggestion. It would work for the stated purpose, but I also want to get 7 off my computer. I have trouble using it (due to how it looks and the agent thing) and the sounds are just nuts... I totally want to wipe 7 and just have a computer running Win2K, which I prefer enormously.

as far as the sounds you know you can right click and select personalize and select the sounds section and disable the sounds, on same personalization you can change to a classic theme.

I understand the security ramifications. I'm prepared for that risk, but not the complexity and unusability of Win 7.

complexity, unusability!!!!! wtf are you talking about win 7 is the easiest OS in user operabiltiy tha MS have ever created

I understand the security ramifications. I'm prepared for that risk, but not the complexity and unusability of Win 7.

I understand what you mean when Vista came out, it changed the way a lot of things worked from XP, and it took me a bit to get used to it, but there comes a point when you really need to adjust to the way things are done. Get a book, ask for help on how something works, watch a tutorial. There are tons of resources out there to help you figure things out. And in reality, you do most things exactly the same way.

It may seem more complex at first, but the main things are still the same.

Good luck with however you do it though.

I can kind of see where you're coming from mswarts from Kansas; I loved Windows 2000 and think it was an absolutely awesome OS.

I think most folks are a little surprised by your use of the words "complexity and unusability" "insanely frustrating" to describe your experience with Windows 7. But everyone is different, of course.

However, you are going to find that if you have relatively new hardware, getting Windows 2K to run on your machine may have its own set of hassles and some hardware may not be compatible. Remember, when Win2K came out, there weren't even SATA hard drives (I don't think). It might be good to post your hardware specs; that would give us some idea of where your problem is starting from.

If it's unuseable it's simply because you haven't gotten used to it yet. Why not take the time and try to learn your way around the interface instead of wiping it for a seriously outdated OS.

As others have suggested, a virtual machine should do fine to run your games.

Ehh, why windows 2000, if you are going that far backwards, go with Windows NT. =P J/K Hey what ever you like is your choice. The only issue I can see is the drive storage controller driver causing the BSOD stop screen. You are going to have a challenge attempting to get it installed on new hardware. I would just go with Windows XP and you can disable the theme service and make it look like W2K. You are going to have much better driver support. Just my 2 cents. =)

Here's the deal. I use a Mac. The only thing I want this PC to do is play legacy games. Is there any way I can just replace the OS? I can't understand why it's so difficult. Normally, you just boot, format, install. Boom. Instead I get a specific error that I can't for the life of me sort out. Any suggestions?

Would agree with devhead, if thats mswarts wants to run on the hardware ..fair play.

Please post the make and model number of your machine, and we can help :)

Here's the deal. I use a Mac. The only thing I want this PC to do is play legacy games. Is there any way I can just replace the OS? I can't understand why it's so difficult. Normally, you just boot, format, install. Boom. Instead I get a specific error that I can't for the life of me sort out. Any suggestions?

Ah using a mac makes since then. So you most likely will have drive controller issues. Apple does not even support windows 2000 on their hardware. Go with Windows XP for full hardware acceleration and you will be fine. Case Closed.

Ok, let's put this in your perspective then. Imagine getting a brand new macbook pro with the latest Snow Leopard, and trying to put the very first OSX (Cheetah?) on it just because you don't like the UI being grey instead of white with stripes and find it 'hard to use' cuz of it. It won't work right now would it? Would you honestly support a user attempting to do this? Wouldn't you just suggest they learn the way Snow Leopard does things? Especially if they were mostly a Windows user?

Just saw your reply DevHead. Perhaps the new hardware won't run on Windows 2000... Seems a shame. The computer is a Dell Inspiron 1545. 2.1GHz 4GB ram, 64-bit version of Win 7, and a Samsung HM320II hard disk. Hope you can help.

Even worse. 4GB of RAM = you NEED 64-bit or else you can't use it all. SATA HDD = gonna be tough for win2k to work on. Also since it's a namebrand , it's gonna have proprietary stuff that needs drivers that may only exist for newer OS's that system was built for.

You're not gonna get very far.

Apart from agreeing with everyone else that you should use Windows 2000 in Virtual Box or MS Virtual PC, first you need to work out if your hardware is even compatible with Windows 2000.

Start with working out what kind of computer you have, eg. Brand and Model or if it is a standard PC which Motherboard you are using. Then you can see if there are drivers available.

I am not sure if you are popping the Windows 2000 CD in which while Windows 7 is still running, in which case the autorun program on the CD will start and might have this error you describe (because the Windows 2000 autorun is not designed to be run on Windows 7), or if this is the error when you are trying to boot from CD on computer startup based on the BIOS settings after the POST.

If it is the latter, where you are booting from computer startup before windows 7 even starts to load, you should at least be able to get to the step of "Press F6 to load SCSI drivers...", otherwise maybe the CD is damaged or it is a burned copy that has some issues with the media. When you get to the "Press F6 to load SCSI drivers..." you will need to press F6, and then load the SATA drivers for your computer model/motherboard from a FLOPPY disk (you might need a USB Floppy. Some BIOS gives options to emulate a Floppy from a USB key but I find these don't work too well). Windows 2000 would definately not have the SATA drivers built into it and must be loaded from Floppy (XP is the same).