• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Trying to install Win2K over Windows 7

mswarts    0

I use and love Snow Leopard, but this isn't a political issue for me. I'm not making fun of Windows. I just want to play some old games on this PC I've got lying here, without the nuisance of a OS I don't want. Win2K has a clean, simple UI. It doesn't get in your face, or make outrageous sounds, or give you an ugly blurred title bar and taskbar blur. It's not too shiny. That's my rationale. I'm not trying to convince anybody else to use Win2K. Just saying I personally prefer it.

farmeunit    691

Windows 2000 also has a hard drive size limit. I had to change a registry setting on a camera server at work after i installed a 500GB drive.

This thread might be useful if you get that far http://www.ntcompatible.com/hard_drive_size_limit_t27313.html

Did you set the SATA setting in the BIOS to legacy for starters?

I also believe that I had to set the registry setting, then copy the OS to the bigger drive or it would blue screen on me. You might have to do similar. Install the OS on an older computer, change registry setting, then clone that to newer HD. You're probably going to be in a lot of trouble, so you'll have to be patient.

mswarts    0

I'm getting a lot of comments that the hardware is too new. If there is no workaround, then I'll run it in VMWare Player or something. Appreciate all the help. Let me know if you jnow a workaround still.

farmeunit    691

I use and love Snow Leopard, but this isn't a political issue for me. I'm not making fun of Windows. I just want to play some old games on this PC I've got lying here, without the nuisance of a OS I don't want. Win2K has a clean, simple UI. It doesn't get in your face, or make outrageous sounds, or give you an ugly blurred title bar and taskbar blur. It's not too shiny. That's my rationale. I'm not trying to convince anybody else to use Win2K. Just saying I personally prefer it.

You also haven't replied back to anyone about using Win2K in a Virtual Machine. Why not try that first. It doesn't get any easier than that, and you can make it full screen to completely block out Win7. The only time you would see Win7 is while booting. One you're into Windows, start your Win2K VM.

EDIT: Sorry I keep posting same time and don't see your posts until after. Do yourself a favor and try the VM first. If it doesn't work, then go back to your prior plan.

mswarts    0

What do you mean try the VM first? Something different from VMWare?

Simon-    492

I looked up your Inspiron 1545 Laptop. It has a Intel GM45 Express Chipset. I checked on Intel's website, there are definately no Windows 2000 drivers for this. You might be able to try using XP Drivers with Windows 2000 (this usually works) but the oldest OS the hardware supports is XP.

You can't use VMWare Player because VMWare Player will only open Virtual Machines that have already been created, it will not let you create a new virtual machine, that's why it's called Player. You are better off using Virtual Box or Microsoft Virtual PC

bjoswald    210

To the OP:

Ignore the mindless trash talk by these fanboy morons. It's your PC and you're free to do with it as you please.

Now, if you truly want 7 gone and Win2K back, I think you should find the RAID/storage driver for your chipset

and either put them on a removable disk (floppy, USB floppy, etc.) or follow a "slipstream" guide from the web.

Remember, Google is your friend.

If you choose to use the driver method, then make sure you press F6 when prompted during installation and

point the installer to your disk drive. Everything should be smooth sailing from there and you should be able

to proceed like you would every other time.

Emon    40

I nominate OP for Darwin award

riceBox    100

You can't use VMWare Player because VMWare Player will only open Virtual Machines that have already been created, it will not let you create a new virtual machine, that's why it's called Player. You are better off using Virtual Box or Microsoft Virtual PC

VMWare can already make virtual machines.

mswarts    0

At this juncture, I have moved on to finding an acceptable VM solution. VirtualBox could work, but the site is a tad tricky. Which version do you think would work on this machine?

da00    115
http://www.easyvmx.com/ to create a virtual machine, then use it with vmware player.

Angel Blue01    9

To the OP: Try using the BTS driverpacks or integrating the drivers for your hardware with nlite and create a new Win2000 CD.

Lazure    52

Go to virtualbox.org, and pick the link on the download page that says x86/x64 for windows. Simple as that.

random_n    63

Have you checked your BIOS settings yet? Dell machines should let you in by pressing the F2 or DEL key when the Dell logo comes up at startup. See if you can change your storage controller mode from SATA, Advanced, or AHCI to Compatible, Legacy, or IDE.

And for all the people ragging on him for going Windows 2000: every version of NT from NT4 to Windows Server 2003 would encounter the same problem. As Angel Blue01 mentioned, Driver Packs and nLite would be very likely to do the job if you can't change your storage controller out of AHCI mode - this looks like a good guide, except you'd want the Intel drives intead of VIA.

farmeunit    691

And for all the people ragging on him for going Windows 2000: every version of NT from NT4 to Windows Server 2003 would encounter the same problem. As Angel Blue01 mentioned, Driver Packs and nLite would be very likely to do the job if you can't change your storage controller out of AHCI mode - this looks like a good guide, except you'd want the Intel drives intead of VIA.

It's not even about wanting to install Windows 2000 at this point, it's about drivers required. As mentioned earlier, they don't make Windows 2000 drivers for certain components. Sure you might get one or two to work fine, but probably not all. Installing inside a VM will fix the problems and is by far the EASIEST solution if it works correctly. It also give the flexibility to get use to Win7 while still using the OS they want. Best of both worlds AND getting what they want.

dmd3x    1

To the OP:

Ignore the mindless trash talk by these fanboy morons. It's your PC and you're free to do with it as you please.

If you were going for an XP install, you also would have to deal with this. I currently am running Windows 7 but I was happy with 2000 and XP, wouldn't mind running them. Not everyone needs the new features. If set up properly, Windows 2000/XP can be quite secure.

I nominate OP for Darwin award

+1

At this juncture, I have moved on to finding an acceptable VM solution. VirtualBox could work, but the site is a tad tricky. Which version do you think would work on this machine?

If I were to give up on the clean format, I'd prefer the VMWare player. If you decide you don't want to give up - like others suggested, start enabling every 'Legacy' option you can find in your BIOS and check the manufacturers website for drivers compatible with Windows 2000 (XP drivers may work as well, a lot of them are 2000/XP drivers).

It would be an epic win if you actually manage to pull this off! ;)

+BudMan    3,652

Question for you - what games are you wanting to play?? if all your wanting is a game box because you use a mac.. What does it matter what the OS is --- if your games will work on it??

Once your games are installed you pretty don't even have to use the OS -- put the icons for your games on your desktop, click which one you want to play.

As already mentioned your going to run into issues trying to run such a OLD OS on modern hardware. If you give us the list of games your wanting to install, we can tell you if they will work on 7 64bit or not, how to get them to work if they have issues, or if they will not work at all, etc.

If all you want it a game box to play OLD games -- why don't you just spend $50 and get OLD hardware that supports such an outdated OS.

Other than that -- virtualbox is other option.. As to site hard to navigate or figure out what you should download ??? :blink:

You click download -- right there first link is "VirtualBox 3.2.4 for Windows hosts " How is that complicated or hard to understand?? :blink:

winrez    120

VMWare Player can create Virtual Machines (Im currently using it on 7 Ultimate and have installed Win 95, 98 SE, XP and Vista on it) It also supports Direct 3D all of my old games work even ones that use Direct X 9c such as Star Trek Legacy at 40 FPS

Note: My PC does not support Hardware Acceleration

Raa    1,583

As much as I applaud your attempt (Windows 2000 rocks!), you will NOT be able to run it. Windows 2000 is not compatible with modern hardware, nor are there drivers available for much of the hardware.

I'd strongly recommend using Windows 7 and installing Windows Virtual PC (or VirtualBox) and use XP-M, or Windows 2000 in a VM inside it.

LightEco    140

Just download vmware player, create a new virtual machine, and install 2000. Simple as that. No need to deal with any driver issues or anything else and your VM machine will be protected by the newer security of Windows 7. (As long as you don't give it its own network connection).

farmeunit    691

Last time I tried VMWare Player I had to do a voodoo to create the VM to install XP. When did that change? If the OP is having issue doing things already suggested, do you think they be able to create the VM? There are plenty of tutorials for doing it, but why create an extra step for them to follow without explaining how to do it.

They would be better off just getting VMWARE Server than Player.

I agree with Budman, then getting an older machine would be a good solution also. You can get refurbed P4 3.0Ghz and 1GB or RAM along with 3 year warranty for just over $100.

fbsduser    2

To change back to the classic "Win2k-like" theme: Control Panel > Appearance and personalization > Personalization > "Windows Classic"

To disable the sound schemes: Control Panel > Appearance and personalization > Personalization > Sounds > Select "no sounds" from the "sound schemes" combobox

To make the taskbar smaller: Control Panel > Appearance and personalization > Personalization > Taskbar and Start menu > "Use small icons"

To make the task buttons text visible: Control Panel > Appearance and personalization > Personalization > Taskbar and Start Menu > Select "don't combine" from the "tskbar buttons" combobox

To disable aero peek: Control Panel > Appearance and personalization > Personalization > Taskbar and Start menu > "Use aero peek to get a preview of the desktop"

That's it. Win7 looking like win2k. And you don't give up the enhanced security and compatibility with modern hardware.

I looked up your Inspiron 1545 Laptop. It has a Intel GM45 Express Chipset. I checked on Intel's website, there are definately no Windows 2000 drivers for this. You might be able to try using XP Drivers with Windows 2000 (this usually works) but the oldest OS the hardware supports is XP.

VMWare player 3 and later can create VM's.

http://www.easyvmx.com/ to create a virtual machine, then use it with vmware player.

You don't need easyvmx anymore since VMWare player 3.x

Last time I tried VMWare Player I had to do a voodoo to create the VM to install XP. When did that change? If the OP is having issue doing things already suggested, do you think they be able to create the VM? There are plenty of tutorials for doing it, but why create an extra step for them to follow without explaining how to do it.

They would be better off just getting VMWARE Server than Player.

I agree with Budman, then getting an older machine would be a good solution also. You can get refurbed P4 3.0Ghz and 1GB or RAM along with 3 year warranty for just over $100.

It changed with VMWare player v3, when they added the VM creation functionality.

farmeunit    691

Sweet. I'll have to check that out. Been using VBox mainly for that reason for desktop OSes.

soldier1st    40

hey people if he wants to use Windows 2000 and he is prepared to deal with any and all issues then let him, it's his choice and if he don't like 7 or heck 95 then don't force him to use what he don't want, you can give him many reasons and some are valid but some are not and the most important is that as long as he is prepared to deal with any and all issues then why all the fuss? if his comp craps out or decides to explode or something then thats his problem not ours. we gave him our input/advice and thats all we can do but in the end it is up to the user but if the user does not/cannot deal with any and all issues with using a pc then either get a tech to deal with it or simply don't use pcs at all, it's as simple as that. good luck with Windows 2000 as you will need it.

+Frank B.    7,151

hey people if he wants to use Windows 2000 and he is prepared to deal with any and all issues then let him, it's his choice and if he don't like 7 or heck 95 then don't force him to use what he don't want, you can give him many reasons and some are valid but some are not and the most important is that as long as he is prepared to deal with any and all issues then why all the fuss? if his comp craps out or decides to explode or something then thats his problem not ours. we gave him our input/advice and thats all we can do but in the end it is up to the user but if the user does not/cannot deal with any and all issues with using a pc then either get a tech to deal with it or simply don't use pcs at all, it's as simple as that. good luck with Windows 2000 as you will need it.

Did you even read the posts in this thread? The OP was advised to use Windows 2000 in a VM rather than natively - main reason being that a 10.5-year-old OS is simply not going to work on modern hardware.

Averting a potential disaster when someone asks for advice = helping them imho.