Trying to install Win2K over Windows 7

Did you even read the posts in this thread? The OP was advised to use Windows 2000 in a VM rather than natively - main reason being that a 10.5-year-old OS is simply not going to work on modern hardware.

Averting a potential disaster when someone asks for advice = helping them imho.

i read all of it, and as others have said if he wants 2000 that badly he could buy old hardware and put a gaming vintage box together, if he were to list what games he wants to play we could advise him on that.

• 2 months later...

And now the real answer.

You will need to rebuild your windows 2000 cdrom. The fix must be applied for the text-setup mode.

a. download and slipstream the unofficial service pack 5. This will intergrate the 48bit LBA fix, which will do this.

or b: for sp4 and earlier, see, eg (set winsource= is the i386 directory of where you're building your cdrom.

setlocal
set winsource=q:\wnt50sp4\i386
attrib -r -a -s -h %winsource%\setupreg.hiv
reg load HKLM\Setup %winsource%\setupreg.hiv
set regkey=ControlSet001\Services\atapi\Parameters
reg add HKLM\Setup\%regkey% /v EnableBigLba /t reg_dword /d 00000001 /f
reg unload HKLM\Setup
set winsource=
set regkey=
endlocal

You can now install windows on a 1 TB hard drive pretty much anywhere.

I would replace ntldr and ntdetect.com with something from xp or 2k3 if ye can lay hands thereon.

see, zb http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/75713-48-bit-lba-on-win2k-setup/

• 3 weeks later...

You could mulit-boot, assuming of course you either slip-streamed your needed Win2k drivers as mentioned above.

There are 3rd party programs that allow you to resize your primary partition (make a backup beforehand of course).

I'd resize the Win7 installation partition, leaving about 20-30 GB free space on your HD.

Hide the Win7 partition using 'Grub4Dos', 'Gparted' from a live Linux disc, or 'PTEdit32' from a WinPE/BartPE live disc.

Install Windows 2000 to a newly created primary partition on the 20-30 GB space.

-NEXT-

Install a boot manager on Win7 after hiding Win2k, and unhiding it.

OR:

Install a boot manager on Win2k.

OR:

Install a boot manager to the HD's master boot record (MBR) via Grub4Dos, or SYSlinux.

I still can't believe someone would want to take a modern machine, designed for Windows 7, and want to delete it and use Windows 2000. Even putting Windows XP on it would be considered insane, but 2000?

Even if he manages to get Windows 2000 installed, he won't have drivers for everything. For instance, I don't think nvidia OR ati OR intel create windows 2000 drivers for modern video cards anymore. So guess what he'd be stuck with in Windows 2000? 640x480 16 color. Not even able to run any real games, legacy or not. Not able to browse the web because images would be reduced to rubbish by the 16 color palette and the browser UI would literally take up the entire screen at 640x480. In Windows XP, if your video drivers weren't installed correctly, you'd at least have true color and 800x600, this is not the case with Windows 2000.

Also, how is this computer going to be used in the modern times? Barely any major software supports Windows 2000 anymore, most now are at a minimum of XP. You might get away with like, Firefox, and that's it. So what if you can run old fashioned games? That'd be pretty much ALL you could do, even if you DID have video drivers to make the desktop remotely usable. You plan on being able to support Office documents made by people who use Office 2007+? You won't be able to in Windows 2000, as Office 2000 would DEFINITELY not support the formats used in 2007+. I guess you wouldn't run any chat programs, either? Windows Live, Yahoo, etc do not install on Windows 2000, either. You'd have to finda dinky, featureless opensource IM software that still works in 2000 (and not be able to photoshare, file transfer, etc with your friends as a result).

You think simply being able to INSTALL the OS is the biggest hurdle, read up and realize it will only go downhill from there. You cannot use 10+ year old stuff forever, ESPECIALLY on computers that were made not even 1-2 years ago. It just won't happen, and it's certianly not worth it for a few games. Use a Virtual Machine.

Just saw your reply DevHead. Perhaps the new hardware won't run on Windows 2000... Seems a shame. The computer is a Dell Inspiron 1545. 2.1GHz 4GB ram, 64-bit version of Win 7, and a Samsung HM320II hard disk. Hope you can help.

No way in heck are you downgrading that. It's VM or nothing.

EDIT: Maybe I should look at the dates before replying :(

I have Windows 7 on my computer and an old Win2K install CD. I would like to go backwards to play legacy games that are not compatible with Windows 7. When I try to boot from the Win2K install CD, it halts on a '0x0000007B' error. I have looked at some support sites from MS, but got confused. I want to simply wipe everything and start anew with Win2K. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks so much!

reformat the hard drive, this will wipe it clean enough for a fresh o/s installation. After that you can install Win 2000 or any other solution on it that you choose.

reformat the hard drive, this will wipe it clean enough for a fresh o/s installation. After that you can install Win 2000 or any other solution on it that you choose.

No, he can't. No way is he installing a 11 year old OS on a new machine. The hardware would be rejected, which is probably why is is getting the stop error.

No, he can't. No way is he installing a 11 year old OS on a new machine. The hardware would be rejected, which is probably why is is getting the stop error.

Wow I had put XP pro on an old dell machine recently, the hardware was totally rejected until I had dug up the drivers.

He is getting a stop error because Windows will not allow you to backpedal, not even XP Pro to 2000. If, and when the hard drive has been reformatted, game on.

Wow I had put XP pro on an old dell machine recently, the hardware was totally rejected until I had dug up the drivers.

That is different though. He is trying to downgrade an x64 capable machine to an OS that doesn't have native drivers for the hardware. Take a look at the system specs in my post on the previous page, and you'll see why. The only way you are going to run Win2K on a modern machine is in a VM.

why is this topic even still going on, it was created back in June and the guy who created it asking the question hasn't been active since the day after he created this topic

That is different though. He is trying to downgrade an x64 capable machine to an OS that doesn't have native drivers for the hardware. Take a look at the system specs in my post on the previous page, and you'll see why. The only way you are going to run Win2K on a modern machine is in a VM.

Hmmm, I had just glimpsed your siggy. It mentions that you are not thrilled about Windows XP. So I can just imagine how you would feel about Windows 2000. Could this user downgrade to XP, leaving behind Windows 7 on a new machine?

I have Windows 7 on my computer and an old Win2K install CD. I would like to go backwards to play legacy games that are not compatible with Windows 7. When I try to boot from the Win2K install CD, it halts on a '0x0000007B' error. I have looked at some support sites from MS, but got confused. I want to simply wipe everything and start anew with Win2K. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks so much!

That stop error means AHCI is enabled in the BIOS. And you're using a STA hdd. Disable it / change it to IDE / compatibility mode. Or you'll have to slipstream the SATA drivers

Hmmm, I had just glimpsed your siggy. It mentions that you do not like the older windows operating stystems. Could he downgrade to XP on a new machine?

My beef is with XP only. I actually enjoyed Win2K. :whistle:

He could downgrade to XP, it wouldn't be advised, but XP would work. Win2K as seen here, won't even install on a machine like his.

Get VirtualBox and install Win2K in there. Don't directly install on the hard drive with all the new hardware.

My 1313th post, btw.

My beef is with XP only. I actually enjoyed Win2K. :whistle:

He could downgrade to XP, it wouldn't be advised, but XP would work. Win2K as seen here, won't even install on a machine like his.

Ok, I will go with that. Personally I am indifferent, between these operating systems.