folder keeps changing to read-only

i have windows 7 and i have a folder on the root of my c drive that is readonly

whenever i change and unclick the check box it rechecks itself after about 30seconds

any ideas how to stop this?

thanks

Yup -- figured it was about time for this question again.. Comes up every few months ;)

Here is the one of my posts that came up on the subject.. I should really just book mark these threads -- over the years Im sure there like 10 or so threads on the subject.

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/851986-copy-between-hdds-not-working/page__p__591929766entry591929766

Here is an older one from 2007 ;) Same exact thing -- not understanding how the read only box works on folders.

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/572860-random-folders-become-read-only-by-themselves/page__st__15__p__588730155entry588730155

In a nutshell -- folders do not use the read only attribute, and it can not be set using the gui anyway.. The linked posts go over it, and there are many more threads with the exact same question ;)

regardless i cant continue the torrent whose files are in the folder or expand a rar in the folder that has that greenbox checked

regardless of the everyone group having red/write on it

and i do know when i uncheck it utorrent looks like its working and then pops up with a permissions error when the check box ticks its self back on

how do i fix this its a pain in the A**

ive tried in command prompt to add and then remove the readonly attribute but it doesnt seem to help

at this point i really want to remove all permissions and have full read/write on everything

i barely boot into windows and spend most of my time in osx on this machine and im just tired of windows BS

Try this, used it in the past took me 10mins to remember what it was lol (used on xp and vista should work on 7 too tho i recon!)

http://www.filehippo.com/download_unlocker/

Edit: i alwasy used it to unlock and then delete hope thats what you want to do, if its just unlock im sure it does that too =)

its just unlock that i want but il give it a shot

thanks

"regardless i cant continue the torrent whose files are in the folder or expand a rar in the folder that has that greenbox checked"

NONSENSE!!!! If you having issues with doing something in the folder -- then check the NTFS permissions, not the meaningless read only attribute.

It will never even SHOW you checked, unless your in the middle of a toggle.. It will show a BOX -- look, I have set the read attrib on the test folder.. Also NOTICE its not a check mark.. and clearly states used on files in folder.

post-14624-12766088094995.jpg

Notice the size of folder in above picture -- notice how i set the read only attrib with the command line on the folder.. Notice now How the folder is empty, I deleted all the files in it -- even with read only set.

Are you talking about files in side the folder?? I now have 1 file in the folder, it has the read bit set, folder still shows blob not a check mark..

post-14624-12766090516426.jpg

Just deleted that file by the way, even with read only attrib set.. This has NOTHING to do with working with files in a folder, expanding rars in it, reading torrent files, etc.. You need to be concerned with the NTFS permissions on the files and folders - not the read attribute.

Post up what your NTFS permissions on the folder are, and the files.. Your barking up the wrong try worried about a read only attrib on a folder.

edit: BTW -- as have gone over in every other thread on this subject, nothing is changing it back.. Your never setting anything.. you can not set the read attribute of a folder with the gui.. Look at every single folder on your system -- and you will see a blob in the folder for read only.. Only on files will you see a check mark if set, on folder the only way to see it a checkmark is to be in the middle of toggling it, which then sets the attrib on the files inside the folder

post-14624-12766096704018.jpg

So if I toggle it to nothing like above it will remove the read attrib from files in the folder -- nothing to do with the folder itself

post-14624-12766096840145.jpg

Now setting it toggle it to a checkmark on the folder, and it will change the files to read in the folder - again not the folder itself

post-14624-12766096914506.jpg

See -- file has read attrib set now -- if you look at the folder again it will show a blob, not a checkmark.

post-14624-12766096992024.jpg

Show us your NTFS permissions!!! if your having problems -- the status of the trimode read attib box on a folder has NOTHING to do with your problem nor would even actually have the +R set on a folder -- since its not used in if you can put files in the folder or not, or delete things, etc..

Edited by BudMan

• 1 year later...

Yup -- figured it was about time for this question again.. Comes up every few months wink.gif

Here is the one of my posts that came up on the subject.. I should really just book mark these threads -- over the years Im sure there like 10 or so threads on the subject.

http://www.neowin.ne...#entry591929766

Here is an older one from 2007 wink.gif Same exact thing -- not understanding how the read only box works on folders.

http://www.neowin.ne...#entry588730155

In a nutshell -- folders do not use the read only attribute, and it can not be set using the gui anyway.. The linked posts go over it, and there are many more threads with the exact same question wink.gif

You are incorrect in your answer. What you said in your answer is absolutely correct, but it does not address the actual problem - similar to the way Microsoft people tend to answer posts to their forum.

The problem is that regardless of what I do I can't download to my C:\Users\%Username%\Downloads folder. This just recently started happening.

I've Taken Ownership, changed the folder from read only to not, used unlocker to remove locking handles, changed it to read only (check in the box) and back and verified that I have full control. I still get this error message:

C:\Users\Baba Maha Murkh\Downloads\install_flashplayer11x64_mssd_aih.exe could not be saved, because you cannot change the contents of that folder.

Change the folder properties and try again, or try saving in a different location.

or sometimes this error message:

The file could not be saved because you do not have the proper permissions. Choose another save directory.

What is going on?

No I was 100% correct no matter how you look at it, as I clearly stated that read ONLY attribute has NOTHING to do with the OP problem.

Nor would it have anything to do with your issue. But vs bring up a OLD thread from Summer of 2010, why don't you actually give us some details of your problem in your OWN thread. Like how about posting the permissions of the folder you trying to save too, etc.