• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Personal Food Recipes

Jase    130

We had a thread like this in 2008 and 2009, Let's start one for 2010!

Simple really, Neowinians share food recipes which are simple and easy to make. I'll Start.

Get some PitaBread, Spread some Butter ontop and then throw on some grated cheese, put it on a tray and pop it into the Grill for say 6 mins.

It's so much more enjoyable Crunchy. Always goes down with a Coke or Orange juice, Serves 2, Fills you up.. but you will crave for more laugh.gif

matthewmarley    0

Best Pancakes Ever !!

8 table spoons of flour

2 eggs

1 table spoon on water

2 table spoons of sugar

whisk it all together.... BAM !! magic !! ;)

Konstanov    58

Best Pancakes Ever !!

8 table spoons of flour

2 eggs

1 table spoon on water

2 table spoons of sugar

whisk it all together.... BAM !! magic !! ;)

If you add a teaspoon full of vanilla extract to them, they would be so much better.

Jason S.    1,496

My recipe for meatballs:

1lb gr beef

1C parmesan

1C bread crumbs

salt and pepper

garlic powder

crushed red pepper flakes

1 egg

mix well with hand. form into balls - size to your preference. cook them in your favorite marinara sauce for 20-30 mins. They stay super moist. amazing, cheesy, delicious.

-------------------------------

This is Paula Deen's recipe for lasagna. It's probably the best ive ever tasted. It takes forever to make, and can be expensive if you use the proper cheese. it's well worth the time, effort and money!

Sauce

2 cups canned, diced tomatoes

2 cups tomato sauce

1 cup water

1/2 cup onions, diced

1/2 cup green bell peppers, diced

2 cloves garlic, diced

1/4 cup chopped, fresh parsley leaves

11/2 teaspoons Italian Seasoning

11/2 teaspoons The Lady's House Seasoning, recipe follows

1 1/2 teaspoons seasoning salt

1 1/2 teaspoons sugar

2 bay leaves

1 1/2 pounds ground beef

6 to 9 Long strips lasagna noodles

12 ounces cottage cheese, mixed with 1 beaten egg and 1/2 cup Parmesan

1 cup Gruyere cheese, grated

1 cup Swiss cheese, grated

2 cups cheddar, grated

1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese

1 cup mozzarella, grated

To make the sauce, in a stockpot, combine the tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, onions, peppers, garlic, parsley, seasoning mixtures, sugar and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 1 hour. Crumble the ground beef in a saucepan. Cook until no pink remains, then drain off the fat. Add the ground beef to the stockpot. Simmer for another 20 minutes. While the sauce simmers, cook the pasta according to the package directions (if sauce is too thin, for your taste, you can thicken it up at this time by mixing 1 tablespoon of cornstarch and a 1/4 of a cup of cold water. Bring sauce back to a boil. Stir in cornstarch mixture, stirring constantly). Remove bay leaves.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

To assemble lasagna, place a thin layer of sauce in the bottom of a 9 by 13 by 2-inch pan. Layer 1/3 of each, noodles, cottage cheese mixture, Gruyere, Swiss and cheddar cheeses. Pinch off small pieces of cream cheese and dot over other cheeses. Add another layer of sauce. Repeat layering 2 to 3 times ending with sauce. This may be covered and refrigerated at this point. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and top with mozzarella and continue to bake for another 10 to 15 minutes. Note: If lasagna has been refrigerated, bake for 40 minutes total.

Let sit for 10 mins or so b/c it'll be molten and fall apart right out of the oven.

amazing!

ozgeek    157

Lemonade Scones

I made this a few times and it's absolutely lovely and easy to make.

AUSTRALIAN WRITTEN

What you need:

3 cups Self-raising flour

1 cup lemonade (any bottled lemonade will do!)

1 cup thickened cream

What to do:

Prep: Put oven on about 200deg

1. Mix all ingredients in a bowl to form a nice thick dough.

2. Place on a floured chopping board and knead for a few minutes

3. Flatten the dough with hand or rolling pin to about 20mm thick

4. Use scone cutter to cut out and place on a greased baking tray

(alternatively pluck a golfball sized piece and roll in hand then flatten it on tray)

5. Place tray in oven and leave about 20 min or until all is golden brown.

Serve with jam (fruit spread) and/or whipped cream.

What Lemonade Scones looks like:

lemscones.jpg

MR_Candyman    114

Chicken lasagna

1 whole chicken

1 box of lasagna noodles

1 large can of Tomato Sauce (I recommend Hunts Roasted Garlic)

1 green pepper

1 red pepper (or orange, or yellow)

1 onion of your choice (honestly, I think yellow onions work very well, but Vidalia are my favorite for this (only use half a vidalia))

cilantro

parsley (italian parsley is best)

1 small container of fresh feta

lots-o-cheese of your choice. I like a mix of mozzarella, provolone, romano, asiago, and parmesan cheeses.

Worcestershire Sauce

garlic

Directions:

1:cook the chicken in the oven (I actually buy pre-cooked chickens because they cost me the same and save time like crazy)

2: remove all the meat from the chicken

3: cook the lasagna noodles, then cool them afterwards by running them in cold water

4: dice the peppers and onion. Mince the garlic (or press it), the cilantro, and the parsley. Combine in a bowl.

5: add Worchestershire and stir

6: lay the first layer of noodles on the bottom of an appropriate baking dish such as corningware or pyrex glassware that has been buttered

7: put in a layer of the bowl's contents

8: add another layer of noodles

9: add a layer of all the cheeses

10: repeat 7-9 as many times as necessary/possible, then cover the top with more cheese

11: bake in the over at 350F until cheese is all or mostly melted (half hour to 45 minutes depending on dish used, remember, everything is already cooked, so you can't under cook it ;) )

12: broil for roughly 5 minutes to brown the top layer of cheese

remove from over and let cool a little bit before serving.

This recipe is VERY good if you sub the chicken for some left-over turkey. If you want you can also add a bit of sweet tanginess by adding some thai sweet chili sauce in with the rest of the contents in the bowl

Colin-uk    134

guess we can move this to here

Darth Laidher    37

Can someone tell me how to make Yorkshire pudding, I loved them when i was in the uk for 2 months, I tried to make them once but they turned out awful.

MR_Candyman    114

Can someone tell me how to make Yorkshire pudding, I loved them when i was in the uk for 2 months, I tried to make them once but they turned out awful.

3 large eggs

1 cup whole milk (250 ml)

1 cup all purpose flour (250 ml)

Pinch salt

1/3 cup clarified butter or pan drippings from a beef roast (75 ml)

In a medium bowl, whisk eggs just to blend. Gradually whisk in milk. Sift flour and salt into egg mixture and whisk until well blended and smooth. Let batter stand at room temperature at least 30 minutes. Re-whisk before using. Transfer to large measuring cup or pitcher with a spout so easy to pour.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

Heat muffin tin with 12 muffin cups in oven for 10 minutes. Tranfer drippings or melted butter to measuring cup with spout so can easily pour into the muffin tin. Pour about 1 tsp. drippings or melted butter in each muffin cup. Return pan to oven until fat is hot, about 6 to 8 minutes. Pour batter evenly into the muffin cups onto the hot fat. (The key to these puddings puffing up is that the fat should be really hot when you add the batter.) Bake until puddings are golden and puffy, about 12 to 15 minutes. Puddings will sink slightly in centre. Serve immediately out of oven while still hot.

• Like 1

Darth Laidher    37

3 large eggs

1 cup whole milk (250 ml)

1 cup all purpose flour (250 ml)

Pinch salt

1/3 cup clarified butter or pan drippings from a beef roast (75 ml)

In a medium bowl, whisk eggs just to blend. Gradually whisk in milk. Sift flour and salt into egg mixture and whisk until well blended and smooth. Let batter stand at room temperature at least 30 minutes. Re-whisk before using. Transfer to large measuring cup or pitcher with a spout so easy to pour.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

Heat muffin tin with 12 muffin cups in oven for 10 minutes. Tranfer drippings or melted butter to measuring cup with spout so can easily pour into the muffin tin. Pour about 1 tsp. drippings or melted butter in each muffin cup. Return pan to oven until fat is hot, about 6 to 8 minutes. Pour batter evenly into the muffin cups onto the hot fat. (The key to these puddings puffing up is that the fat should be really hot when you add the batter.) Bake until puddings are golden and puffy, about 12 to 15 minutes. Puddings will sink slightly in centre. Serve immediately out of oven while still hot.

Awesome thanks going in my recipe book.

MR_Candyman    114

Awesome thanks going in my recipe book.

Good luck. If you want you can also add some parsley, chives, sage, and thyme to the batter as well. It really adds a nice flavor to them.

I'll also re-iterate you want the fat HOT before pouring the batter in. This is probably what most people screw up when making them.

Jase    130

Let's keep this thread going guys!

+jnelsoninjax    11,830

Got this one from my supervisor at work, it's called Taco Lasagna, looks like I'll have to attach the file as I scanned it as a PDF

Taco Lasagna Recipe.pdf

It turns out so good and filling!!

rathefeare    8

My absolute favorite Alton Brown's grilled tuna. You do need a charcoal chimney starter from this to work, but if you do any serious outdoor cookery you should have one already. Outside gets nice and crusty and the inside is sushi still. You really need quality ingredients to make it shine. Fresh not previous frozen tuna in a nice thick block and real soy sauce not that vegetable substitute stuff like la choy.

Ingredients

* 1/2 cup dark soy sauce

* 1/2 cup honey

* 1/4 cup dry wasabi powder

* 2 pounds tuna loin, cut into 2 pieces

* 1/2 cup sesame seeds

* 2 tablespoons peanut oil

Directions

In a non-reactive bowl combine soy, honey, and wasabi powder. Reserve 1/4 cup for dipping sauce. Roll each piece of tuna in this mixture to coat evenly. Marinate from 1 hour to overnight. Remove the tuna from the marinade and discard the marinade.

On a plate, lay the sesame seeds. Roll the tuna in the seeds to evenly coat.

Fire up the chimney and top with a well-oiled grate. Sear for 15 to 30 seconds per side or to desired temperature. Remove to rack and rest for 3 minutes. Cover with foil or plastic wrap to achieve carry over cooking. Slice thinly and serve with the dipping sauce.

Sir Topham Hatt    270

Shopping List:

Chocolate (Milk chocolate works best)

Mars Planets (these can work well)

Chocolate Brownies

Custard (tinned or dry, it doesn't matter)

Method:

> Melt the chocolate.

> While that is melting, make and heat the custard, so they should both be hot at the same time.

> While both of those are heating, get a glass bowl (size depends on how much you're making) and put the chocolate brownies in it. Mix in the mars plannets or any other choocolate you have made.

> Do this bit quickly. Pour the melted chocolate into the custard and stur in well. Then pour that whole mixture into the bowl.

> Leave to cool for a few hours.

> Enjoy!

Notes:

It sounds unusual, but the custard and chocolate mix really well into a thick chocolate mix which is soft and very rich to eat. I can only manage a few spoonfuls before I am full.

You can use anything you like and mix the ingredients, so break twix bars into it or whatever you want. Mars planets work well as some are chewy, some are crunchy and others are soft. Caramel works well too.

The other note on this is why stick to milk chocolate? use white chocolate (and while chocolate bits and biscuits), or mint chocolate and after eights. What about melting a chocolate orange to use, or buying a tin of roses/quality street and using some of the flavours from there? Don't even get me started on nuts!

Try it, you'll be suprised how nice it really does taste!

Let me know if anyone does try it.

asusmc    0

Simple Burger

Burger buns

Burger

Margarine

Pepper

Parsley

George Foreman Grill

Ketchup

Spread margarine all over one side of the burger. Add pepper and parsley. Flip the burger over and do the same thing. Toss it in a preheated George Foreman grill. Wait until your beef is done the way you like and transfer between the burger buns. Add cheeder cheese on top of the burger and wait till it melts. Add the ketchup. Close. Eat.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 AM Special

Sandwich bread (2, obviously)

Margarine

Parsley

Ham

Chedder cheese

Egg

Olive oil

Salt

George Foreman Grill

Put margarine and parsley on one side of one of the breads and do the same thing to the other. Put ham between them. Close the sandwich and make a hole the size about of a egg yolk towards the top part of the top of the sandwich. Put in a preheated George Foreman Grill for about 2 minutes (until the bread is brownish). Take out and put on a plate. Cook the egg with olive oil (to your liking) making sure you put salt on the egg. When done, transfer to the sandwich with the ham on the bottom and the egg on top of it. Place a slice of cheeder cheese on top of the egg, wait till the cheeder cheese melts and GENTLY (DO NOT BREAK THE YOLK) close the sandwich so a yellow cheese circle pops gently thru the hole. Eat.

Glassed Silver    940

I'm thinking about creating my own big recipe thread sometime soon...

I have a few recipes going on that are AWESOME, that I've come up with myself and would love to share and get dedicated feedback on... it's quite a batch...

Let's see... :)

Glassed Silver:mac

Jason S.    1,496

My Awesome, Super-Amazing Baked Chicken Wings

Preparation

I buy the 'jumbo wings' - that's the full wing, even w/ the tip

Seasoning

* lots of chili powder

* Adobo seasoning

* paprika

* garlic powder

* (add cayenne if you want extra heat)

* add anything else you think would be delicious

Rinse each wing under cold water to wash off the chicken juice. pat dry on paper towels.

Add wings to a bowl for the seasoning

Add a lot of the seasoning and toss to coat - honestly, most seasoning the better

Let sit in the fridge, covered, for x hours (whatever you can afford)

Preparation Cont'd

prepare a large baking sheet w/ foil (easier cleanup)

get out your wired racks (if theyre stackable, that's better)

add 1-2 cups of flour to a gallon Ziploc bag

add 3-4 wings to the bag and shake

shake off excess flour from each wing, place on wire rack

keep 1in space between wings, if possible

once all are placed, chill in fridge for 30-60mins

preheat oven to 425F (220C)

Cooking

bake wings for 50-55 mins, while lowering temp to 400F (204C), 1/2 way through

**note** do not put wings too close to the bottom of the oven - they'll burn

while they bake - prepare hot sauce

Hot Sauce

* Franks Red Hot

* 1TBSP brown sugar

* couple splashes Worchestershire

* couple splashes Apple Cider Vinegar

* 1TBSP butter

* Garlic flakes or fresh garlic

Melt butter in small sauce pan

add garlic and sautee for 30-60 seconds

add brown sugar and stir to melt

add Franks, stir

add vinegar and worchestershire, stir

heat and taste - make sure it's amazing.

When wings are finished, put them into a giant bowl and throw the sauce on top. Toss GENTLY until coated.

Server as fast as possible. the sauce cools quickly.

ENJOY!

YounGMessiah    38

love ya for the chicken lmao!

abecedarian paradoxious    326

Kickin' Pastrami Sandwich- something as a nice follow up to yesterday's Spaghetti (and can use some of the leftover sauce):

2 lbs sliced Pastrami (alternately can use capicola or mortadella- if you eat pork, or most any other thinly sliced meat- bologna, roast beef, etc. but those will affect the flavor but probably not in the negative)

4 - 6" french bread rolls or similar

* note- (assuming 4 sandwiches @ 8oz prepared meat each- modify everything below accordingly if you use a different amount of meat and bread)

4 oz prepared Italian Dressing (your favorite bottle or make your own)

4 oz burgundy or similar wine (white wines tend to be a little too sweet but that's your choice if you decide to change)

4 TBSP butter (+/- 1-2 TBSP to preference, taste or dietary requirement)

4 cloves garlic, crushed and finely minced

1/4-1/2 medium sized onion (brown, red, white- your choice; I prefer red though), sliced or julienned though you may prefer diced

1 average sized bell pepper (color unimportant) julienned or diced as you've done your onion

1- 7 ounce (small) can of jalapeno peppers (a.k.a. "nacho sliced", opt for no carrots or onions unless you'd prefer those)- note you can substitute chipotle or serrano peppers. Depending on preference, you may not end up using all the peppers so buy the smallest can you can find or be prepared to discard or find another use for the remainder. I prefer jalepeno over other types as I like that flavor and the heat is bearable to most people.

8 TBSP prepared spaghetti sauce- marinara or with meat depending on your preference.

Sufficient sliced provolone or shredded mozzerella cheese (or what your preference may be... pepperjack perhaps? :))

Preparation-

At medium heat, melt butter in skillet/frying pan - I like cast iron but use what you have but be careful that the skillet is big enough for your meal and spreads heat evenly; if the skillet isn't large enough, divide the ingredients into smaller portions and cook separately. You'll know fairly quickly if the skillet isn't big enough because the butter will be melted and bubbling in a ring around the fire and there'll be unmelted portions elsewhere. ;) Also, if you use margarine or similar, you'll notice the water separating from the other oils- you don't necessarily have to worry about that because we will be reducing the liquids, evaporating water out as we go. When the butter is mostly melted, add the garlic and sautee a few moments. Then add the onion, bell pepper and pastrami (or whatever meat) and simmer a few minutes, reducing most liquid out of the mix. Add the wine, Italian dressing and about 1/4 of the can of jalapenos (or more if you prefer hotter) along with about 1 TBSP (or all of it if you don't mind) of the liquid from the canned jalapenos and again simmer, reducing the liquid down to a thick sauce. Reduce the heat to a low/medium and add the spaghetti sauce to the meat and simmer again, reducing the liquid to a sauce.

Put the bread in the oven and toast till the crust is crunchy.

Cook the meat mixture until most of the moisture has been reduced.

Serving:

Serve the meat on the bread with cheese under or over the meat.

:D

If you prefer a more "philly cheese steak" flavor, omit the butter, spaghetti sauce and jalapenos and use roast beef instead of pastrami:

Heat the Italian dressing and sautee the garlic in the dressing, then add the wine and meat, reduce the liquid, lower the heat then add the onions and bell peppers (and for a twist add some banana peppers or pepperoncini's towards the end) and continue to reduce the liquid until there's little liquid left. Serve over toasted bread with cheese.