• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Windows 7 SP1 v.178

Phenom II    104

If this is warez talk then please close the topic, I guessed that as it will be given to us free its not warez so..

I just installed the v.178 of Windows 7 SP1 and I am amazed, we all thought "What could they possibly do to make Windows 7 better than it already is" but somehow, they have, everything is so much quicker to respond, after first boot, the system response time even while loading was faster than when the system had been awake for 10 minutes, I can not wait for the final version, whatever they have done, they've done it right, and no annoying watermark and no timebomb either

Very impressed

+Anarkii    2,255

I had minor issues with v 1.78. Every 10 mins or so live messenger would start randomly eating up RAM. Reverted back to normal after 12 hours or so of testing.

Phenom II    104

I had minor issues with v 1.78. Every 10 mins or so live messenger would start randomly eating up RAM. Reverted back to normal after 12 hours or so of testing.

Hmm... well Ive only been booted for like 5 mins so Ill wait and see how it gets on, hopefully I get no issues like that or I too will be uninstalling it lol

Did you notice the speed boost ?

Geoffrey B.    1,415

There was nothing in the SP1 that would make it faster or better in any way unless of course you remote connect a lot. Or you have not done any of the previous updates for the OS. They did not add any new features other than the changes to the remote desktop. This is going to be rather handy and nice to have however, i do not see a reason to do the test when i can easily wait for the final release.

Phenom II    104

There was nothing in the SP1 that would make it faster or better in any way unless of course you remote connect a lot. Or you have not done any of the previous updates for the OS. They did not add any new features other than the changes to the remote desktop. This is going to be rather handy and nice to have however, i do not see a reason to do the test when i can easily wait for the final release.

Well, something in the service pack has fixed something, 100% can feel a speed increase and Im not imagining it, I installed the other early one and had nothing but issues, this one works for me

e-berlin.org    77

I just installed the v.178 of Windows 7 SP1 and I am amazed, we all thought "What could they possibly do to make Windows 7 better than it already is" but somehow, they have, everything is so much quicker to respond, after first boot, the system response time even while loading was faster than when the system had been awake for 10 minutes, I can not wait for the final version, whatever they have done, they've done it right, and no annoying watermark and no timebomb either

Yeah..

Quattrone    19

I can't wait for the final version. I will not risk my system for a beta update.

Phenom II    104

Im not fooled by placebo effects, I know my system extremely well, I know when it is gonna hang on me and when its not, this has deffinately fixed something

I can't wait for the final version. I will not risk my system for a beta update.

I dont usually mess with my desktop, the laptop gets the betas to test on, but this time I decided to go for it

fix-this!    76

agreed! 7 is soo stable "as is" for me i won't jack it up by installing a beta. ill gladly wait until september for the final. ive gone 1 year without formatting and i don't even feel i need to, which is a change for me.

rawr_boy81    41

You do realise that a service pack is more than just a consolidation of all the public patches? you do realise that there are unreleased patches that fix up performance issues.

• Like 1

still1    251

If this is warez talk then please close the topic, I guessed that as it will be given to us free its not warez so..

Very impressed

wow thanks for the heads up.... i never expected that sp1 would makes 7 better.... i am waiting for the final release in September.

Microsoft BOB™ 10    1,137

I am totally unhappy with the time it takes to install SP1 (an hour to an hour and 30 mins). And who knows if SP2 will be cumulative (Vista's wasn't). XPSP3 installs in 10 mins and can be slipstreamed offline (without installing the OS). 7/Vista service packs can be slipstreamed but they require you to install the OS, install the service pack and then re-capture the image. Can everyone please post their installation times of SP1?

rawr_boy81    41

I am totally unhappy with the time it takes to install SP1 (an hour to an hour and 30 mins). And who knows if SP2 will be cumulative (Vista's wasn't). XPSP3 installs in 10 mins and can be slipstreamed offline (without installing the OS). 7/Vista service packs can be slipstreamed but they require you to install the OS, install the service pack and then re-capture the image. Can everyone please post their installation times of SP1?

Who cares how long it takes, double click and get the installation working then go of to do something productive.

• Like 1

strelok1911    20

I am going to install it as well.

Anyone knows if the stupid "uninstall before you upgrade SP" thing got changed?

Grinch    188

You only have to upgrade once. Not like it will become a daily thing unless you do clean installs of Windows often.

My installation time for SP1 was about 35-45 minutes at most. Wasn't truly paying attention but it lasted roughly the length of a NCIS episode. :)

+Anarkii    2,255

There was a slight increase in speed but for me it wasnt worth upgrading full time.

Ill wait until the final :)

Microsoft BOB™ 10    1,137

Yes I do clean installs of Windows often in virtual machines for testing dozens of different things and it's too bad servicing takes this much time and even worse that people seem to find it acceptable. Not to mention enterprises need to do it on hundreds of machines.

Grinch    188

Yes I do clean installs of Windows often in virtual machines for testing dozens of different things and it's too servicing takes this much time and even worse that people seem to find it acceptable.

Virtual Machine is different from physical hardware. Microsoft is optimizing the service pack for traditional users, not every specific user. I'm fairly certain you'll be able to slipstream this or grab a copy of Windows somewhere with the SP1 integrated instead of installing SP1 on top of Windows 7 all the time.

torrentthief    313

Win 7 SP1 slipstreamed images will be on msdn/technet when it goes final, we'll have to wait for those to leak so that us legit users can have a slipstreamed image instead of having sp1 in the updates folder on a win7 dvd which takes ages extracting and overwriting files.

Its a shame MS hasn't added slipstreaming ability to vista and win7 :(

strelok1911    20

Installed!

Don't see any speed improvements or any other changes though.

LiquidSolstice    115

I don't think this is Warez talk. It's just like the Win7 Beta talk, as long as you don't talk about where you got it from and how you got it, you're good to go.

Ci7    206

Well, something in the service pack has fixed something, 100% can feel a speed increase and Im not imagining it, I installed the other early one and had nothing but issues, this one works for me

because they fixed windows explorer bugs

before i installed the sp1

it used to hang and crush sometimes in the control panel , now it does't.

Shayla    95

There are watermark and timebomb (expires 4/1/2011 6:59am) on my system after i installed this beta.Anyone else or just me?

Quattrone    19

There are watermark and timebomb (expires 4/1/2011 6:59am) on my system after i installed this beta.Anyone else or just me?

Because is a beta, even if you bought windows 7 and install over a beta it will have an expiration date. This is why I am not going to install this and screw my system for a beta release.

+Gary7    7,591

Just Google "How To Remove Windows 7 SP1 Watermark". Follow the instructions, it will be the first hit.