[HOW-TO]System Restore under Server 2003

Anyway, it was very easy and works like a treat - and I can confirm now that the service creates it own automatic restore points. Well done, another one chalked off the list.

Q

Well I wouldn't mind having the welcome/log on screens back either these ini files look interesting. In W2K03 and XP there is a file in /ini called layout.ini in here there is a line cakked logon.scr. In W2K03 and XP these values are different. Setting the value in W2k03 back to the same as is in Windows XP doesn't seem to do anything, but I wondered if this might be the place to look if you wanted to get that back up. I imagine fast user switching should be there too, though there is a lot to look through and it will be pretty time consuming to search - and there's no gurantee of sucess if you do. I guess thbis will take a hacker to figure out, as so far my own megre attempts have been unsucessful.

Q

To save you guys some trouble I have created the reg file and sr.inf for you. All you need to do is <<click here>>, download and extract them. Double click to install the reg file and right click and install for the sr.inf file. Make sure you have your Windows XP cd handy! Reboot your computer and you should find that system restore has been enabled.

Below is a screen cap I took with System Restore running under Windows Server 2003. Enjoy!

post-77-1057935245.jpg

Hi guys,

I just went to that other site, and saw drtbalu's post. If you look at his post, he COPIED and PASTED what i said, and just put his name instead of mine for the credit lol. How crappy is that? I used to post at that other site as username gosh, but left because the site was just full of lamers, and lamers looking up to other lamers. And what perfect example of that, then some guy copying what i said and getting worshipped at that site. So no, i am not drtbalu, ive never met him before.

But anyway, i love this site and ill never go back to that other site. I think im banned actually, oh well.

On an unrelated note, over the past couple of days ive messed with my server, making it a domain controller and installing exchange 2003 on it. Who thinks i should use system restore to go back before i did all that and see what happens? lol

-gosh

Dude a number of people have tried to say this here, but the mods keep deleting the posts. Who knows, maybe this one will get deleted too. Its very weird, why don't the Neowin mods want people to know it was done here by you first?

Q

One of the rules at neowin is to not talk about other sites. That's why i referred to that site as the "other site".

Also, bink was kind enough to put this thread on his website - thanks bink!

-gosh

@ gosh. Great job on sussing out how to install system restore on W2K3 Server despite that scab on the other site plagarising it.

I was wondering if a similar process could be used to get system restore to install on Windows 2000?

I have tried the W2K3 Server install method on Windows 2000 but get the error that srclient.dll cannot be run - probably because it calls some other files not present in the winnt/system32 directory of a Windows 2000 installation but are there in XP and W2K3 Server [windows/system32 in these OSs].

I also tried the sledgehammer approach - copy all of system32 from an XP install to a W2K install - but as I expected W2K spat the dummy and would not boot.

Any thoughts?

PS: This is my first post here and while this is really about Windows 2000 it seemed more suitable at the end of this thread.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

I have tried to install it under windows server 2003 R2 Enterprise. I used the http://win2k3.msfn.org/sysrestore.htm, and it has put a system restore that I can launch. I didn't yet try to restore anything with it. But the thing is that I get an anoying error message on startup saying that one of the services didn't start. It is the 'Application Experience Lookup Service' that doesn't start, and the error is 1083.

I don't know yet what to do, I looked up the registry where SRService is supposed to be and it is there. It is a new installation so I can just reinstall it. Or try the backup that I made before. Or I can try to figure out how to make it work. Though I have thought of a new concern for not trying to make it work and that is that my server have 8GB, and use the PAE to use them and I read some about that normal drivers may cause system instability with PAE. So I wonder if the system restore drivers are OK for PAE, or not :s

• 3 weeks later...
Forget system restore is too lame for a win2k3 hehe.

Get the real thing: http://www.acronis.com/

I tried to make an image using a boot cd of acronis 11 to my matrix raid 5, but it doesn't handle matrix raid 5 :(

Is there any disk imaging software with matrix raid support?

• 3 weeks later...

I also get the error code "Application Experience Lookup Service service failed to start due to the following error:

The executable program that this service is configured to run in does not implement the service", although system restore seems to still work. Very annoying error, anyone know how to solve this?

• 3 months later...

just run this (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SvcHost\netsvcs) into your Registry and find nestsvcs multi string then type and add the word AeLookupSvc followd by SRservice..

after that go to services.msc and start the Application Experience Lookup Service...

Edited by johnlokoh

about the system restore on windows server., i already done the procedure and installed on my server but doznt anyone here try to test it,,,well it aint work for me error Restoration Incomplete...please if there anyone succeded to run in windows server 2003 standard edition sp1., pls kindly pm me here or email me aijob03@gmail.com ..

thnx..

post-264876-1224755827_thumb.jpg

• 9 months later...

Hi,

I've followed your instructions to the letter. When I boot, I get the following dialog box (RUNDLL):

Error loading srclient.dll<cr>

%1 is not a valid Win32 application.

I also get this when I run "rundll32 srclient.dll,CreateFirstRunRp" in the Run box. I'm running Win2k3 R2 server 64-bit.

Any ideas? I've checked the registry, everything seems to be intact. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!