• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Looking for $500-600 DSLR shoots 720p video with Mic Input

+warwagon    13,842

I?m currently looking for a new camera. I think this time around I?m going to spend a little bit more money and buy a decent DSRL. The last Camera I bought was a Powershot A510 back in 2005. It seems I upgrade my camera once every 5 years so why not spend a little bit more money on something decent. One camera that looked like it had it all was the PENTAX K-x. It had really great reviews and really great 720p video. But then I found out it did not have a Mic in jack, which I?m finding to be more the case on DSLR's in the sub $500-$600 range.

I figure if I am going to spend that much money I?ll also be using the camera to shoot some 720 video possibly for youtube and I do not want to rely on the built in microphone. No matter how good your video looks if the audio is subpar people won't watch it. So here is what I?m looking for.

Sub $500-600 DSLR

Shoots 720p video for more than 30 mins at a time (unlimited time recording would be great)

Has a mic input jack.

That should get me started

Thanks

Adam

Bassem    0

Sub $500-600 DSLR

For that amount of money you can get the Canon XSi or the Nikon D3000, both are entry level, neither can shoot video, so you might want to take a look at the Nikon D5000 or the Canon T1i, they cost somewhere around 700$, you can probably get a deal on the T1i too.

Shoots 720p video for more than 30 mins at a time (unlimited time recording would be great)

lol - I don't know about "unlimited time recording" but you need a memory card that's capable (fast enough) of recording HD video, which means you need a class 6 SD card, something around 8GB.

Has a mic input jack.

The only one I know of is the T2i, which costs around 800$ without the lens.

torrentthief    313

I'm not sure if any DSLR cameras in that price range recording for 30mins+ as anything that can shoot video for more than 15mins is classed as a camcorder and requires higher taxes to be paid, atleast thats for the EU.

The T2i/550d is the only camera i know of too with a mic jack, you would either have to pay more than your budget or wait quite a long time. I'm sure nikon will come up with competitors to the t2i/550d camera but until then you're out of luck i believe :(

The 550d is a nice camera but costs an insane amount which just isn't worth it at the moment for most people.

Argote    73

As mentioned, no current DSLR meets your criteria unless you raise your budget.

TAZMINATOR    12,416

I?m currently looking for a new camera. I think this time around I?m going to spend a little bit more money and buy a decent DSRL. The last Camera I bought was a Powershot A510 back in 2005. It seems I upgrade my camera once every 5 years so why not spend a little bit more money on something decent. One camera that looked like it had it all was the PENTAX K-x. It had really great reviews and really great 720p video. But then I found out it did not have a Mic in jack, which I?m finding to be more the case on DSLR's in the sub $500-$600 range.

I figure if I am going to spend that much money I?ll also be using the camera to shoot some 720 video possibly for youtube and I do not want to rely on the built in microphone. No matter how good your video looks if the audio is subpar people won't watch it. So here is what I?m looking for.

Sub $500-600 DSLR

Has a mic input jack.

That should get me started

Thanks

Adam

Good luck with that because you won't be able to find a camera you want for your preferably price range unless you can buy used camera for that much or less. My D5000 cost over $1000 including extra lens, tripods, and other things that got me started.

Most new cameras can be cost around your range without lens. Just body.

For unlimited time recording, you will need to get standard camcorder for that. But some digital cameras have limited recording with optional audio depending on memory card size. Some cameras have built-in mic while others have mic jack for microphone.

+warwagon    13,842

Thank you all. The Cannon Ti2 looks like it fits all my needs, including the external mic port. It only shoots 12 mins of HD video due to the 4gb file size limitation but that's still not that bad.

The information i'm looking for now about that camera is if it's possible to have the camera plugged in to AC so you can record something without using the battery.

Argote    73

The information i'm looking for now about that camera is if it's possible to have the camera plugged in to AC so you can record something without using the battery.

I'm very certain that will be possible, at least my Sony Alpha 200 supports that. Look at photos of the camera and see if there are any connectors labeled "DC in"

Edit: Here it is, you CAN do that with the T2i: http://www.bhphotovi...2.html#features

You could also get a battery grip and get a 2nd battery in there (plus the handy grip): http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/676247-REG/Canon_4516B001.html

Cupcakes    151

It seems like your main concern for a "DSLR" is video capabilities--Have you put any consideration into an actual video camera (or even a Flip) that will cover your video concerns? While it's nice to have an "all-in-one" device, your requirements seem like it just might be feasible to go separate for each as it sounds like you want something more "static" for recording (ala your use it while it's plugged in and not off of battery.)

+warwagon    13,842

It seems like your main concern for a "DSLR" is video capabilities--Have you put any consideration into an actual video camera (or even a Flip) that will cover your video concerns? While it's nice to have an "all-in-one" device, your requirements seem like it just might be feasible to go separate for each as it sounds like you want something more "static" for recording (ala your use it while it's plugged in and not off of battery.)

Thought about that and I looked a the flip and honestly the DSLR does a lot better video, plus you get a fantastic camera. Same can't be said for the flip.

Cupcakes    151

Either way it just would make sense to go separate routes as you seem to really want more specific video capabilities but good luck with your search.

+warwagon    13,842

Either way it just would make sense to go separate routes as you seem to really want more specific video capabilities but good luck with your search.

True, but I don't want super duper fantastic OMG cinema quality. I mean that would be great but i'd be blowing thousands of dollars to achieve it. With this camera i'll be getting the kind of video quality demonstrated. Plus i'll be getting an 18 megapixal DSLR in the process. I know quality can differ from lens to lens. But with this DSLR you at lease get the option to ad lens to improve quality. Something you couldn't do with the flip.

Brandon    299

You realize that the auto-focus with video on DSLRs are painfully slow and not that accurate, right?

+warwagon    13,842

You realize that the auto-focus with video on DSLRs are painfully slow and not that accurate, right?

Can those camera's be manually focused while recording video? Also i'm wondering the loud noise the auto focus makes will be heard with an external mic.

Haven't made up my mind just yet. I'm still in the research stage.

Brandon    299

Can those camera's be manually focused while recording video? Also i'm wondering the loud noise the auto focus makes will be heard with an external mic.

Haven't made up my mind just yet. I'm still in the research stage.

They can be manually focused. AF noise depends on the lens. I haven't used an external mic on my 7D, but you can hear the AF motor using the internal mic. I'd assume it would depend on how far away the lens is from the mic.

+warwagon    13,842

They can be manually focused. AF noise depends on the lens. I haven't used an external mic on my 7D, but you can hear the AF motor using the internal mic. I'd assume it would depend on how far away the lens is from the mic.

Yes given when using an internal mic the sound of the lens would be absorbed by the camera and picked up by the mic.

Brandon    299

Yes given when using an internal mic the sound of the lens would be absorbed by the camera and picked up by the mic.

Even lenses with full ring USM (focus motor, only high end lenses) make some noise. I can hear my 70-200 2.8 and 300/4 focus. I think it just depends on how sensitive the mic is and location.

+warwagon    13,842

Even lenses with full ring USM (focus motor, only high end lenses) make some noise. I can hear my 70-200 2.8 and 300/4 focus. I think it just depends on how sensitive the mic is and location.

I'm currently researching rolling shutter effects during video recording.

Slammers    114

you seem really serious about wanting to shoot videos if they really are the main thing you want to be doing your only gonna regret not buying a dedicated camcorder. No matter what quality/manual settings there are on a dslr for shooting video they just aren't practical for it in so many ways. If your just wanting to make random youtube videos occasionally but mainly want a pic camera then go for it, the video on any camera will be fine for what your wanting. But the way you talk, saying things like "No matter how good your video looks if the audio is subpar people won't watch it." etc. it really sounds like youd be better off with a video camera.

+warwagon    13,842

you seem really serious about wanting to shoot videos if they really are the main thing you want to be doing your only gonna regret not buying a dedicated camcorder. No matter what quality/manual settings there are on a dslr for shooting video they just aren't practical for it in so many ways. If your just wanting to make random youtube videos occasionally but mainly want a pic camera then go for it, the video on any camera will be fine for what your wanting. But the way you talk, saying things like "No matter how good your video looks if the audio is subpar people won't watch it." etc. it really sounds like youd be better off with a video camera.

So then, which Video camera would you recommend? I would prefer flash based so I don't have to encode it.

Brandon    299

The quality of a DSLR video is well above any video camera in the price range, in terms of image quality, but just as stunts said, its not as practical for every-day usage.