[Windows: All] Do you use an antivirus program/firewall?

94 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use an antivirus/firewall application?

• Antivirus
    • Firewall
    • Both
    • Neither

Most of the systems here have a basic two-way firewall, plus the network is behind a hardware NAT router/firewall setup.

My security is common sense, a locked down browser and a sandbox when dealing with unknowns. You can keep those fat bloated resource hogging popup-inducing inaccurate-as-hell "security" suites, thank you. (I do have an on-demand scanner, doesn't hurt to have one.) If you're running everything and anything and hoping that your software safety-net is going to catch you.. well that's just silly. If you have to ask "Well how do you know you don't have a virus", then you're best off running that security suite.

Well I do have one machine running one, my daughter's, she just doesn't know any better yet. She's only five and basically plays on a few education sites that I have big icons on her desktop for, but better safe than sorry. She's already figured out how to get to YouTube and a few other sites and sooner or later is going to get into trouble.

I run an antivirus every once and a while to make sure my computer is healthy, but I don't consider firewalls very useful.

I leave the standard Windows firewall running if that counts, but I don't run antivirus. Its primary function is to protect people who click on random things from themselves, and I don't need that.

That is 100% true. I'm starting to think that I probably don't need an antivirus myself, as I am very careful when it comes to downloading things and what sites I visit. Besides, on a normal day, the only sites I visit are Neowin, DeviantART, Lifehacker, and Gizmodo. :p

Anyway, I am currently using Microsoft Security Essentials and the Windows Firewall (which is getting on my nerves being all it does it block my games from accessing the internet).

Mine runs the scan when i'm not using my PC,I haven't had a major infection in years, mostly i get tracking cookies though. You just gotta be safe these days.Its a good thing google chrome and yahoo add safeguards to their searching and browsing.

Setups:

Desktop and Dell Laptop: Avira Antivir

HP Laptop: Avast Antivirus

Lenovo Laptop: Kaspersky Anti-Virus

and all use Windows Firewall

On-demand scanners plus Sandboxie for the most part. I do some `testing` :whistle: on the other box so it could have anything on...

Nat Routers block the inbound stuff, if your worried about outbound that`s up to you. AV is an old technology that only works some of the time!

General question: how do you know if your PC is infected, if you've got nothing testing it?

Maybe Trend Micro's free "HouseCall"? I haven't used it in a while though.