• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Mass. Town Will NOW Let Students Recite Pledge of Allegiance

Hum    6,934

When Sean Harrington entered his freshman year at Arlington High School, he noticed something peculiar: There were no American flags in the classrooms, and no one recited the Pledge of Allegiance.

So Harrington enlisted the aid of his fellow students, and now, three years later, they have succeeded in getting flags installed in the classrooms. But the pledge still will not be recited.

The Arlington, Mass., school committee has rejected the 17-year-old's request to allow students to voluntarily recite the Pledge of Allegiance, because some educators are concerned that it would be hard to find teachers willing to recite it, according to a report in the Arlington Patch.

Harrington had presented school officials with a petition signed by 700 people, along with letters of support from lawmakers including Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., and Sen. Joe Lieberman, I-Conn.

But the request to have the pledge recited failed when the committee's vote ended in a 3-3 tie.

"I was really heartbroken," Harrington told FOX News Radio. "It's hard to think that something so traditional in American society was turned down."

more

Nayos    21

Why do you need flags in your classroom?

Never had any Union Flags or St George's Crosses in the classrooms when I was at school

the_guy    0

Don't recall any Maple Leafs in our classrooms, either. O Canada does get played from time to time, I think it's even mandatory in New Brunswick (between here and Maine) to be played every morning. But I have NEVER heard the Pledge of Allegiance to the British Crown, EVER.

Maybe the schools feel that that time would be more valuable as, I don't know, instructional time?

Rudy    457

Never had any Union Flags or St George's Crosses in the classrooms when I was at school

+1

wtf flags in classroom?

Solid Knight    519

Serves no purpose really.

nowimnothing    18

Not having flags in each classroom is no big deal. There were some in some of my classes, not in others. I applaud the student for taking up something he was passionate about and seeing it through though. No harm either way, but good for him.

But not allowing the students to voluntarily recite the Pledge is... asinine.

bjoswald    210

Of all the stupid **** to get up in arms about...

First of all, there's no need to salute the flag at all in school. Also, why do we need one in a classroom anyway? Other than elementary school kids, I'm sure everyone knows what it means and why it's there. We don't need it in our faces all the time. Plus, it's on the damn pole outside anyway.

We have enough political crap shoved in our faces as it is. No need to turn everything into a national crisis.

nowimnothing    18

"We have enough political crap shoved in our faces as it is."

As I said in my previous post, I don't believe having flags or not having flags to be a big issue at all. Doesn't seem to make a difference to me one way or another. What I'm curious about is why you think (or at least it seems - please correct me if I'm wrong) it would be a bad thing to have them there.

mokthraka    159

When Sean Harrington entered his freshman year at Arlington High School, he noticed something peculiar: There were no American flags in the classrooms, and no one recited the Pledge of Allegiance.

So Harrington enlisted the aid of his fellow students, and now, three years later, they have succeeded in getting flags installed in the classrooms. But the pledge still will not be recited.

The Arlington, Mass., school committee has rejected the 17-year-old's request to allow students to voluntarily recite the Pledge of Allegiance, because some educators are concerned that it would be hard to find teachers willing to recite it, according to a report in the Arlington Patch.

Harrington had presented school officials with a petition signed by 700 people, along with letters of support from lawmakers including Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., and Sen. Joe Lieberman, I-Conn.

But the request to have the pledge recited failed when the committee's vote ended in a 3-3 tie.

"I was really heartbroken," Harrington told FOX News Radio. "It's hard to think that something so traditional in American society was turned down."

more

it will be hard to find teachers to recite it? really? we are that politicaly correct now? ****ing unamerican ******* should get deported. at least illegal immigrants support are country

Mathachew    149

Maybe the schools feel that that time would be more valuable as, I don't know, instructional time?

The pledge is typically said at the start of the school day. During elementary, middle and high school, it was done while everyone was in home room, which isn't a real class and only serves to take role before the students move on to their classes. It's a 10 second recital and you're harping on instructional time? Every morning we also had announcements, which took up several minutes of time. I don't know how a typical school morning is for others, but it didn't change between the two schools, private and public, that I went to besides the recital to the Christian flag.

Lee G.    236

Same here. You don't need them at all.

Having flags and reciting the pledge of allegiance serve no purpose in a classroom environment. I really don't understand this excessively patriotic attitude many Americans have.

• Like 3

+Frank B.    7,154

Same here. You don't need them at all.

Having flags and reciting the pledge of allegiance serve no purpose in a classroom environment. I really don't understand this excessively patriotic attitude many Americans have.

My thoughts exactly.

brentaal    404

I feel discomfort and shame whenever I see public displays of patriotism.

• Like 1

mokthraka    159

I feel discomfort and shame whenever I see public displays of patriotism.

so you feel shame when ever you see a flag flown outside a building?

I am glad to see how much people hate our country!

I remember back when patriotism was a good thing!

• Like 1

LukeEDay    17

I think it is more the principle of the thing. I can guarantee that if they wanted the Mexican Flag and the Mexican national anthem played they would do it ! Why? because that is how stupid the teachers and politicians in this country are. Praise other countries but bust on ours. Real nice there, Hoss. If you don't like here then GET THE HELL OUT !!

• Like 1

Growled    3,881

it will be hard to find teachers to recite it? really? we are that politicaly correct now? ****ing unamerican ******* should get deported. at least illegal immigrants support are country

Yes, we are that PC now. It's really sad.

brentaal    404

Say what?

When was that?

+Frank B.    7,154

so you feel shame when ever you see a flag flown outside a building?

I can't speak for brentaal, but: These days a lot of people here have a flag on their house or their car. Something which makes me feel queasy to say the least.

mokthraka    159

I can't speak for brentaal, but: These days a lot of people here have a flag on their house or their car. Something which makes me feel queasy to say the least.

why does it make you feel queasy?

+Frank B.    7,154

why does it make you feel queasy?

Because I know where excessive patriotism led this country in the past century.

mokthraka    159

When was that?

back when I was in kindergarden to second grade or so. when all our classes had flags. and we recited the pledge everyday, except for some of the students who had just came from other countries and could not speak English.

Because I know where excessive patriotism led this country in the past century.

that and an insane leader. if you find a flag to be excessively patriotic, I feel sorry for you

brentaal    404

back when I was in kindergarden to second grade or so. when all our classes had flags. and we recited the pledge everyday, except for some of the students who had just came from other countries and could not speak English.

When was that? Perhaps during the cold war era?

if you find a flag to be excessively patriotic, I feel sorry for you

If you find the necessity to look up to a flag or other symbols of a nation, I feel sorry for you.

• Like 1

mokthraka    159

When was that? Perhaps during the cold war era?

If you find the necessity to look up to a flag or other symbols of a nation, I feel sorry for you.

no back around 97-99. maybe if you took 30 seconds to click my profile you could have seen when it was.

but we all know how hard it is to take 30 seconds to do something! :rolleyes:

murkurie    4

I remember in grade school we would recite every day, was private school which may be why, but it takes a insignificant amount of time. Then in 7-11 grade the private school I went too, it was up to the teachers to decide if we would say it. not all the teachers had flags though, maybe 70% did.

Paul Paliath    68

I don't see what's so bad about patriotism in that regard?