• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Mass. Town Will NOW Let Students Recite Pledge of Allegiance

Charisma    2,399

We always recited the pledge when I was in school. I'm really disturbed by some of the attitudes on here, too. United we stand, divided we fall. If we can't band together as a country, no wonder we're declining so quickly. Feeling "discomfort and shame" when someone is patriotic? THAT makes me feel discomfort and shame.

Elliot B.    1,792

Having to say the Pledge every morning (or however often) in schools reminds me of religion...

• Like 1

mokthraka    159

Having to say the Pledge in schools reminds me of religion...

wow. that is all I can even say to that comment

Charisma    2,399

And btw, patriotism =/= hating every other country. It's... well, thinking of an admittedly poor analogy, it's like when people are supportive of a sports team or something. You're banding together with people of all races, genders, etc etc for a common goal. You may not agree with everything all those people believe, but you're accepting them in the pursuit of something greater than just an individual. In the case of the sports team it's to win the games and get better, in the case of a country it's to protect it and make it better. It's supposed to be a good thing, people.

• Like 1

brentaal    404

Perhaps because there isn't much more to say about, it's correct in many ways. Patriotism is a highly subjective and wholly sentimental thing with no basis in reality.

• Like 3

Elliot B.    1,792

Well I went to a catholic school (most in the UK seem to be) and we had to do prayers each morning and go to mass. After a few weeks, I'd had enough of that crap and my mom called the headteacher and told them I was NOT going to be partaking in such forced-religion crap.

The headteacher's argument was that I chose to go to a catholic school, therefore I should do such activities. We stated that there was no other school choices in the area and that is the only reason we went there (which is all true).

They weren't happy, but I was allowed to sit them out. I was the envy of a lot of people, so I know I wasn't the only one.

I'm not having religion or politics forced down my throat.

Matt    17

people outside the united states will never understand the pride many americans have for their country. it all stems from the revolutionary period. the manner in which this country was founded and trials and tribulations we have gone through in the process of becoming one of the greatest countries militarily, financially, and some would say even socially, furthermore, amplifies that feeling. although the US is still the "leader of the free world" we are quickly approaching an era in which a global progress can no longer be fueled solely by america, but a global cooperation.

with that being said, traditions, some good and some bad, shouldnt be left by the wayside. when i was in elementary and middle school, we recited the pledge of allegiance everyday and i dont see why that tradition should end. the same pride and patriotism taught to earlier generations shouldnt be forgotten by future generations.

• Like 1

Hum    6,934

Update:

Charles Skidmore, principal of Arlington High School in Arlington, Mass., has offered to allow students to recite the pledge before school begins -- but in the school's foyer and not in the classrooms, as 17-year-old Harrington had hoped.

Kathleen Bodie, Arlington superintendent of schools, told Fox News Radio that "The principal wanted to be very respectful about the pledge and be sensitive to the Supreme Court ruling that students are not forced to say the pledge. He wanted to be sensitive to the diverse group of students we have."

Bodie said there has been reluctance to put the district's teachers in a position of reciting the pledge, and she acknowledged that some have raised concerns about its inclusion of the words "under God."

"I don't know if it's all about 'under God,' but that is certainly an aspect of it," she said.

more

ncoday    441

Well I went to a catholic school (most in the UK seem to be) and we had to do prayers each morning and go to mass. After a few weeks, I'd had enough of that crap and my mom called the headteacher and told them I was NOT going to be partaking in such forced-religion crap.

The headteacher's argument was that I chose to go to a catholic school, therefore I should do such activities. We stated that there was no other school choices in the area and that is the only reason we went there (which is all true).

They weren't happy, but I was allowed to sit them out. I was the envy of a lot of people, so I know I wasn't the only one.

You are seriously kidding, right?

You went to a private catholic school and you decided you should not have to abide by their rules?

Geez, here in the US you would have been rightfully told to withdraw and go to a different school.

mokthraka    159

You went to a private catholic school and you decided you should not have to abide by their rules?

Geez, here in the US you would have been rightfully told to withdraw and go to a different school.

I know lol.

im going to go to an Islamic pirvate school and sue because they make me pray!

man I wish there was a -1 for the amount of fail in that post

brentaal    404

He never said "private". Google for "Catholic Schools (UK)".

Elliot B.    1,792

I know lol.

im going to go to an Islamic pirvate school and sue because they make me pray!

man I wish there was a -1 for the amount of fail in that post

Where did I say private...?

zhangm    1,400

I think that students should be able to voluntarily recite the pledge, however, it is the right of the school to dictate what things class time should be dedicated towards. The school is not denying the students their right to recite the pledge, but rather, it is saying, "do it on your own time, not on class time". That seems reasonable.

• Like 1

Darth Laidher    37

When i was in school we had flags in elementary and middle school. we didn't have them in high school. I think its more of a tradition than anything.You all say why have them but why not? a flag is not a distraction.

Where i went to school you would probably have gotten your ass kicked for that. a lot of people might think you're to good to participate so you'd at-least would of got sh*t if not worse.

Elliot B.    1,792

When i was in school we had flags in elementary and middle school. we didn't have them in high school. I think its more of a tradition than anything.You all say why have them but why not? a flag is not a distraction.

Where i went to school you would probably have gotten your ass kicked for that, being different sometimes can back fire.

I didn't do it to be different, I did it because my family nor I are religious and I didn't want five years of sitting through that crap.

Matt    17

I didn't do it to be different, I did it because my family nor I are religious and I didn't want five years of sitting through that crap.

ive always thought it was funny how intolerant atheists are of other peoples religious beliefs. just because you dont share the same religious belief doesnt necessarily deem it to be crap. there are lessons to be learned from all walks of life.

• Like 1

Elliot B.    1,792

ive always thought it was funny how intolerant atheists are of other peoples religious beliefs. just because you dont share the same religious belief doesnt necessarily deem it to be crap. there are lessons to be learned from all walks of life.

ok fine, but I still shouldn't have to sit through it. It should be same the other way around, I shouldn't be made to attend such religious things in public schools.

Darth Laidher    37

This is true.It's also the reason why the world is such an ugly place sometimes.If someone doesn't believe in what you believe they look at you in disgust.When people stop caring and stop judging i think things will change but i don't see that time coming any time soon.

ok fine, but I still shouldn't have to sit through it. It should be same the other way around, I shouldn't be made to attend such religious things in public schools.

Your not entitled to anything.

Elliot B.    1,792

That's ridiculous.

brentaal    404

lol.

Darth Laidher    37

That's ridiculous.

How is that ridiculous the world doesn't owe you anything just because you don't like something doesn't mean the world has to change something just because YOU don't like it.

Elliot B.    1,792

How is that ridiculous the world doesn't owe you anything just because you don't like something doesn't mean the world has to change something just because YOU don't like it.

Religion is, in my opinion, ridiculous and I am NOT going to be forced into partaking in a public school :angry:

Edrick Smith    112

This discussion and plenty other topics are this site are a prime example of why humanity is doomed and will never be at peace.

Elliot B.    1,792

This discussion and plenty other topics are this site are a prime example of why humanity is doomed and will never be at peace.

Pretty much :/

Matt    17

i respect your opinion but keep in mind, there's a multitude of god-fearing individuals who've put in their work and sacrificed their lives so you can have the liberty to make such a choice as to not "put up with that crap".