Mass. Town Will NOW Let Students Recite Pledge of Allegiance

When my parents took me to the US, I was 13 and get this: I ended up in the Principal's office at first because I was not reciting it. Well of course I wasn't, I didn't know a word in English at the time! Standing up, facing the flag, and putting my right hand over my heart apparently was not enough for this Homeroom teacher (****ing bitch) :laugh: . And they KNEW I was foreign.

Obviously I was not against reciting the oath. Quite the contrary, I wanted to blend in as much as possible since I was already being bullied by my classmates for not being able to communicate with them.

So anyway... The school should adopt it IMO. How long does it take to recite it, like 15 seconds??!?! Don't make it mandatory, though.

When my parents took me to the US, I was 13 and get this: I ended up in the Principal's office at first because I was not reciting it. Well of course I wasn't, I didn't know a word in English at the time! Standing up, facing the flag, and putting my right hand over my heart apparently was not enough for this middle school. And they KNEW I was foreign.

Obviously I was not against reciting the oath. Quite the contrary, I wanted to blend in as much as possible since I was already being bullied by my classmates for not being able to communicate with them.

So anyway... The school should adopt it IMO. How long does it take to recite it, like 15 seconds??!?! Don't make it mandatory, though.

I find that stupid they sent you to the principals office. as I said in my other post I was fine that some kids didnt say it because they didnt know english.

The nation as a sovereignty dead. What we need is a UN flag in every classroom. :yes:

The UN is as useless as Steven Hawking's legs

Perhaps if it were taught without him having to attend sessions of brainwashing and praying, he might be interested in those fundamental issues? How about presenting them in a way that doesn't take the student for an idiot?

I do agree that there's too much 'brainwashing' going on, and that irks me because there doesn't have to be. It can co-exist with and support science, not be in opposition to it. If I weren't at work right now I'd try to find some of the links I used to read when I had questions about it.

<snip giant stupid picture of a crying baby>

My god, you're an ass.

If you look outside the US, you'd notice not many other countries have such excessive displays of patriotism, yet get along fine. I am open to accepting it is more important in the US due to how it started as a country of immigration, thus it helps bind the disparate cultures together. However, it can go a bit far sometimes.

On religion, this is the wrong thread. The point, however, is that while he was at a religious school, it was not by choice, nor was he of the religion of that school. Religion is quite a different thing to patriotism, or indeed fact (by definition). The public service schools are really intended to provide is fact, not faith. I'm uncomfortable with the idea of religious schools in the first place, but given they exist (and work), that doesn't mean they should force-feed it to kids.

My god, you're an ass.

If you look outside the US, you'd notice not many other countries have such excessive displays of patriotism, yet get along fine. I am open to accepting it is more important in the US due to how it started as a country of immigration, thus it helps bind the disparate cultures together. However, it can go a bit far sometimes.

On religion, this is the wrong thread. The point, however, is that while he was at a religious school, it was not by choice, nor was he of the religion of that school. Religion is quite a different thing to patriotism, or indeed fact (by definition). The public service schools are really intended to provide is fact, not faith. I'm uncomfortable with the idea of religious schools in the first place, but given they exist (and work), that doesn't mean they should force-feed it to kids.

showing the flag is excessive?

**** we are becoming pussys

Way to get criticize Sir Steven Hawking. You really have no concept of who your overlords are do you boy? This kind of talk will only get you a black helicopter visit in the dead of midnight and a one way trip to a gulag.

I donno, in Canada we had the flag outside the front of the school, and the anthem till the end of elementary ( Jehovah's Witnesses had to stand outside in the hall.. fun.. ).. Why do you need more than that ?

My god, you're an ass.

First of all you didn't have to add the personal attack it doesn't add to your argument, Second of all There are a lot of things I do that I have no choice but i have to do them do I complain NO i don't it doesn't matter if its about religion or about taxes fact of the matter no one should get a free pass, if all the other kids have to go through it so should he.If there was such a big problem with it then maybe all of the families could of got together and convinced them all not to do it.

And as far as the flag goes. I said before its not a distraction all my years in school i never had one kid say he was distracted by a piece of cloth lol.

I'm against the idea of people swearing themselves to their country. It's one thing to hang out a few flags when supporting a sporting event but another entirely to have such things taking place in the classroom. There's nothing wrong with being proud of your country but it shouldn't be imposed upon people - it should be earned.

Perhaps because there isn't much more to say about, it's correct in many ways. Patriotism is a highly subjective and wholly sentimental thing with no basis in reality.

+1

Way to get criticize Sir Steven Hawking. You really have no concept of who your overlords are do you boy? This kind of talk will only get you a black helicopter visit in the dead of midnight and a one way trip to a gulag.

Im scared lol

I donno, in Canada we had the flag outside the front of the school, and the anthem till the end of elementary ( Jehovah's Witnesses had to stand outside in the hall.. fun.. ).. Why do you need more than that ?

I think it has someone to do with the more flags that you have, the more patriotic you are.

Hmmm maybe respect towards other religion's, which you seem to lack. Why should I pay taxes, why should I respect the law?? Should i stop paying taxes and start going on mass shooting spree's just because i don't want to do what other people do?

You keep talking about respect, but you don't seem to give any at all.

First of all you didn't have to add the personal attack it doesn't add to your argument,

Unfortunately, I do believe it was self-evident from you posting a giant picture of a crying baby as if it were really a valid response.

Second of all There are a lot of things I do that I have no choice but i have to do them do I complain NO i don't it doesn't matter if its about religion or about taxes fact of the matter no one should get a free pass, if all the other kids have to go through it so should he.If there was such a big problem with it then maybe all of the families could of got together and convinced them all not to do it.

Taxes =/= religion. Taxes are an important social maintenance construct. Not paying taxes is directly detrimental to yourself, and others. Not doing religious stuff ... is not.

Freedom of (and from) religion I thought was one of the cornerstones of the US, right? It's quite important in the UK too.

showing the flag is excessive?

**** we are becoming pussys

I didn't say that. Showing the flag everywhere, though ... that is excessive.

I will never understand why people dislike the concept of the UN so much. (Except because it's not controlled by their own country, shocker). Even if we did have a world government (which we don't, and won't likely for a looong time), why is that so different to a government ruling a slightly smaller area? Why shouldn't, say, Virginia be it's own country? Because it pays to be part of something bigger. It's stabler, more peaceful and generally better economically. But anyway, I'm deviating.

Unfortunately, I do believe it was self-evident from you posting a giant picture of a crying baby as if it were really a valid response.

Taxes =/= religion. Taxes are an important social maintenance construct. Not paying taxes is directly detrimental to yourself, and others. Not doing religious stuff ... is not.

Freedom of (and from) religion I thought was one of the cornerstones of the US, right? It's quite important in the UK too.

5. No Personal Attacks or Retaliation

Personal attacks such as instigating "flame bait", verbal abuse, mocking or sexist remarks of members in posts are not tolerated at Neowin. Such posts will be deleted on sight or moderated accordingly.

As above, if you are a long standing member, act like one. Lead by example and assist other newer members rather than attacking them. Members that reply to posts simply to instigate argument will be warned / suspended from forum areas.

Like i said earlier if it was such a big issue he could of got everyone up to sign a petition.If he's not religious thats fine, i'm not religious either but id sit through it if everyone else did.

5. No Personal Attacks or Retaliation

Personal attacks such as instigating "flame bait", verbal abuse, mocking or sexist remarks of members in posts are not tolerated at Neowin. Such posts will be deleted on sight or moderated accordingly.

As above, if you are a long standing member, act like one. Lead by example and assist other newer members rather than attacking them. Members that reply to posts simply to instigate argument will be warned / suspended from forum areas.

Like i said earlier if it was such a big issue he could of got everyone up to sign a petition.If he's not religious thats fine, i'm not religious either but id sit through it if everyone else did.

If you are going to use definitions at least read them.

If you are going to use definitions at least read them.

If you call what im doing mocking then i guess the mods will have to go through every thread that has a picture of a baby crying and delete them lol.

If you call what im doing mocking then i guess the mods will have to go through every thread that has a picture of a baby crying and delete them lol.

I wouldn't call it mocking cause you suck at it.

and you? You fit the description better than I.

not really, I havnt seen you contriubte a damn thing to the thread. at least darth was posting useful stuff

I will add my two cents, given that this subject is purely subjective and a matter of opinion I will throw my two cents in and leave. They should be forced to recite the pledge. Period, no exceptions, Anyone refusing to recite the pledge of allegiance should be viewed with the utmost suspicion.

• Like 2