It

What American's call "Football" is just a sissified version of another European game called "Rugby", in which the foot is hardly used. Another issue is that the "ball" is not an actual ball at all.

Lol.. "sissified rugby".. sad by true.. children who invented rugby in England didnt wear any protection.. what else will you call a game where grown "men" wear ladies tights and cover themselves in padding.. whistle.gif

Ya know, I'm getting kinda tired of europeans going around bashing America all day long over what we call things and how we spell things.

This might come news for you folks.. but its not just the Europeans..

Yeah, let's change the name of two sports because some jerkoffs in another country don't like it. Let's change it to "pansyball".

This.

Like all those countries that make up 80% of the pictures on failblog?

And a news flash for you! Most of us Americans really don't give two cents what anyone else thinks.

Myself? Always thought soccer was for the losers that couldn't play football.

PS - And as a further sign of utter contempt for the world view of the US in general, I plan to get ****s drunk tomorrow and celebrate the independence of the greatest Nation on Earth with millions up on millions of my countrymen. And probably call soccer - "soccer" a whole lot :p

Happy birthday America and party on brothers and sisters! :D

What American's call "Football" is just a sissified version of another European game called "Rugby", in which the foot is hardly used. Another issue is that the "ball" is not an actual ball at all, which makes the name "football" pretty mundane. 1.The foot is hardly used.2.the "ball" is not an actual ball at all.

Lol.. "sissified rugby".. sad by true.. children who invented rugby in England didnt wear any protection.. what else will you call a game where grown "men" wear ladies tights and cover themselves in padding.. whistle.gif

Have you guys even played the sport in full gear? Try it and let a guy ram you full speed and let see how sissfied you think the game is.

• Like 1

Have you guys even played the sport in full gear? Try it and let a guy ram you full speed and let see how sissfied you think the game is.

I know right? LOL Okay okay wait, I saw a girl pull another girl's hair in a SOCCER game once, oh oh! then there was that guy that head-butted the other guy...now THAT'S what I'm talkin' bout gang!

handegg.jpg

What American's call "Football" is just a sissified version of another European game called "Rugby", in which the foot is hardly used. Another issue is that the "ball" is not an actual ball at all, which makes the name "football" pretty mundane.

1.The foot is hardly used.

2.the "ball" is not an actual ball at all.

1. It's a tactical game that requires players to use ALL of their body parts.

2. The ball is designed as to be thrown as a projectile - which requires ya know, a bit more athleticism than bonking a ball with the side of your foot for hours on end. Oh, sometimes they use the head too right? I mean, god forbid you would touch that ball ;) Utterly and completely boring, but to each his own.

Now Rugby...Rugby is pretty cool :)

In Australia there's three different sports generically referred to as "football" and soccer isn't one of them. Nor American football. Depending on where you are and who you're talking to you generally know which is being referred to.

As an aside, it's interesting to note that the vast majority of the rest of the world doesn't care much for any of the sports that are big in the US. American Football, Baseball, Hockey (the grass version being bigger in many countries) or Basketball (more widespread but rarely a "tier 1" sport). Sports like cricket and Rugby Union are massive on a global scale but as good as non-existent in the US.

baseball, basketball, and hockey are pretty popular around the world so I have no idea where you are coming from with this.

Yeah, let's change the name of two sports because some jerkoffs in another country don't like it. Let's change it to "pansyball".

Even though the game wasn't even invented in your country and therefore gained its name elsewhere? You believe it's still fine for your country to change the name of the game because it decided not to use the name it was originally given?

Ya know, I'm getting kinda tired of europeans going around bashing America all day long over what we call things and how we spell things.

Well, why do they spell a lot of things different to British English in the first place? Aren't the English the people who created the language and isn't it used elsewhere in its British form? I don't understand why the Americans took our language and changed spellings and other such things. Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I am aware, that's what happened.

Even though the game wasn't even invented in your country and therefore gained its name elsewhere? You believe it's still fine for your country to change the name of the game because it decided not to use the name it was originally given?

Well, why do they spell a lot of things different to British English in the first place? Aren't the English the people who created the language and isn't it used elsewhere in its British form? I don't understand why the Americans took our language and changed spellings and other such things. Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I am aware, that's what happened.

Americans have long since had rebellious attitudes against the British and their ways. This stretches back way back into the 1700s, if any of you remember history class. This is not news, and it's pretty obvious why so much is different.

Yes. I have no idea why though.

You created it, we improved upon it! WHABAM! ;)

Americans have long since had rebellious attitudes against the British and their ways. This stretches back way back into the 1700s, if any of you remember history class. This is not news, and it's pretty obvious why so much is different.

Well, we started as Brits with rebellious attitudes towards the other Brits technically ;)

I think it worthy of discussion as to why exactly we go with say "color" rather than "colour"(sp?). I pronounce either variation exactly the same when I see it but I wasn't taught to do so. Other examples currently escape me but I may or may not have started my Independence day celebratory activities a bit ahead of schedule ;)

Well, we started as Brits with rebellious attitudes towards the other Brits technically ;)

I think it worthy of discussion as to why exactly we go with say "color" rather than "colour"(sp?). I pronounce either variation exactly the same when I see it but I wasn't taught to do so. Other examples currently escape me but I may or may not have started my Independence day celebratory activities a bit ahead of schedule ;)

I never was able to pronounce that properly. I would always say it as col-oooor. (Like "cool" or "look")

I never was able to pronounce that properly. I would always say it as col-oooor. (Like "cool" or "look")

The real kicker though? I don't know that I've heard a person with a British accent actually pronounce it "col-oooor" either! LOL

Makes ya wonder who actually got it right ;)

Does this really even matter? Oh no, we have a different name for the same thing. There are thousands of things we have a different name for. Further, its a name Britain came up with as well. It's also not as if Americans put it to a vote or anything. Probably what happened was the people promoting the sport just kept referring to it as soccer and everyone else just went along with it.

Geographical separation. Look at the many forks in Spanish across the world. It's just something that naturally happens. Cultures start to go in their own direction when left to themselves. Why is this so unfathomable by a supposedly better educated people?

football to me is:

Rugby league

Soccer

Rugby Union

AFL

as such i will call them by these name or as football depending who i am talking to. But i would say people call the sport they PRIMARILY follow as football. Therefore for me league = football.

baseball, basketball, and hockey are pretty popular around the world so I have no idea where you are coming from with this.

normal hockey is worldwide with teams from oceania, asia, europe but ice hockey is only popular in the northern hemis. Basketball is mainly US unless its like olympics. and baseball well thats hilarious with the US having the world series. japan, cuba and olympics is the only other time i ever hear about baseball.

they are popular to watch because of the power of their respective brands but in terms of being played they have nothing...... only just in america.

In Australia there's three different sports generically referred to as "football" and soccer isn't one of them. Nor American football. Depending on where you are and who you're talking to you generally know which is being referred to.

As an aside, it's interesting to note that the vast majority of the rest of the world doesn't care much for any of the sports that are big in the US. American Football, Baseball, Hockey (the grass version being bigger in many countries) or Basketball (more widespread but rarely a "tier 1" sport). Sports like cricket and Rugby Union are massive on a global scale but as good as non-existent in the US.

I think you underestimate how popular Baseball and Hockey are in other parts of the world. Considering Baseball has professional leagues in Japan, South Korea, Chinese Taipei, China, Venezuela, Cuba, and the Dominican Republic. Hockey being popular in Finland, Sweden, Canada, Russia, Lithuania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Norway, the list goes on.

I think you underestimate how popular Baseball and Hockey are in other parts of the world. Considering Baseball has professional leagues in Japan, South Korea, Chinese Taipei, China, Venezuela, Cuba, and the Dominican Republic. Hockey being popular in Finland, Sweden, Canada, Russia, Lithuania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Norway, the list goes on.

Thats just Europe and US.. 2/3 of world population is in Africa and Asia..

Hm, so a lot is different simply because Americans have always had rebellious attitudes towards the British? :/

[...]

You created it, we improved upon it! WHABAM! ;)

Haha :D Care to elaborate on how? :p

The real kicker though? I don't know that I've heard a person with a British accent actually pronounce it "col-oooor" either! LOL

Makes ya wonder who actually got it right ;)

Hmmm, except, it's supposed to be pronounced "cuh-ler."

Does this really even matter? Oh no, we have a different name for the same thing. There are thousands of things we have a different name for. Further, its a name Britain came up with as well. It's also not as if Americans put it to a vote or anything. Probably what happened was the people promoting the sport just kept referring to it as soccer and everyone else just went along with it.

[...]

Geographical separation. Look at the many forks in Spanish across the world. It's just something that naturally happens. Cultures start to go in their own direction when left to themselves. Why is this so unfathomable by a supposedly better educated people?

It's not unfathomable once you explain it. Thank you. I completely understand now you've explained about different cultures and dialects and how we created the "soccer" name.

All it needs is some explanation sometimes, if one isn't in the know. Thank you :happy:

Yes, I have. Except this was without full body protection, padding and helmets. It was called RUGBY. The UN-sissified version of the game you are talking.