It

FOOTBALL is a general term for all these sports.

gridiron, rugby league, rugby union, soccer, afl are called football in their respective countries where they are the most popular. the sooner ppl understand this, the easier it'd be.

dont compare nrl to gridiron that unbelievably insulting.

National Rugby League is more or less, Gridiron, without the padding. But WAAAAAAAAAAAY more violent.

When there is a tackle, usually, they feel the pain associated with it.

National Rugby League is more or less, Gridiron, without the padding. But WAAAAAAAAAAAY more violent.

When there is a tackle, usually, they feel the pain associated with it.

i made a post a couple of pages back about the simple differences, read that pls. :)

i made a post a couple of pages back about the simple differences, read that pls. :)

Sorry I fail :)

I like this one - GO STEELERS !!!! NUMBER SEVEN HERE WE COME !!! Well, seriously, I think this year they are going to suck ..

Football is not a contact sport, it's about technique, athleticism, not brainless obese man fondling each other in the crotch.

ha ha ha .. quote of the year!

1. Yeah, a bit like Rugby I presume :)

2. YOU SAID IT. Football is about bonking the ball with you FOOT, while Sissy Rubgy is about Throwing the ball as a projectile. Keyword, THROWING. It should therefor really be called "Alternative Handball" or "Amercan Rubgy".

633692057194761860-HANDEGG.jpg

I would just LOVE to see some overweight, potato head (pretty much any sissy rugby superstar) get unsuited up and try to play against even a college rugby team (never mind an actual Rugby league team). He'd be crushed in a matter of seconds! Hell, he probably wouldn't even stand much of a chance against your average high school team!

Football is not a contact sport, it's about technique, athleticism, not brainless obese man fondling each other in the crotch.

BTW Beckham to represent e football player?? Beckham is long gone.

Overwight? The image of overwight lineman is gone, they lift heavy weights now. Strenght over bodyweight because they want a man who can hustle on the field. But you said superstars so im guessing your talking about quarterbacks, runningbacks, and wide receivers who are not overweight because if they were then they wouldnt have their position anymore.

This.

Cricket = who the hell cares, its like tennis and golf, a boring ass sport :p

Watching grass grow would be more enjoyable than watching a cricket match. Then watching grass grow would be more enjoyable than watching a soccer game as well ....

Professional teams are like that, but quite often high school and even college teams (and certainly when it's just a bunch of guys playing around) have the same people on both.

Which i think can be more tactical because you have to pick the best team overall and not necessarily the best X amount of players.

I don't know, maybe it's the cricket fan in me where the makeup of the team can be very important, eg 5 batsmen, 1 WK and 5 bowlers or 6,1 and 4. Then there's whether or not the WK is a solid batsmen and if you have people who can bat and bowl. And it could be difference between winning, losing or drawing. I don't know, may sound boring but it's interesting to me :laugh:

And you guys dissing cricket are philistines :p

Football (soccer) should be renamed to Diveball because that's essentially what the game is really about. It's game revolving around the individual player's ability to conduct a convincing dive.

Football (soccer) should be renamed to Diveball because that's essentially what the game is really about. It's game revolving around the individual player's ability to conduct a convincing dive.

I see more diving in American Football and Rugby.

That's completely bull. It's pretty difficult to dive in American Football. Soccer? Basketball? Easy and done all the time.

I would just LOVE to see someone like Beckham (or any other soccer superstar) get suited up and try to play against even a college football team (nevermind an actual NFL team). He'd be crushed in a matter of seconds! Hell, he probably wouldn't even stand much of a chance against your average Texas high school team!

That doesn't make any sense. You may as well say, "I'd just love to see a fish try and walk across land." You're taking a player of one game and putting him in to a completely different situation that he isn't used to, of course he's not going to stand much of a chance.

The diving in football really puts me off. If they really enjoyed the game, they would fall down and then get straight back up, instead of rolling around over a stubbed toe. Of course, more serious injuries merit a pause while they assess the player's state.

People are ****ing morons....

What American's call "Football" is just a sissified version of another European game called "Rugby", in which the foot is hardly used. Another issue is that the "ball" is not an actual ball at all, which makes the name "football" pretty mundane.

1.The foot is hardly used.

2.the "ball" is not an actual ball at all.

Sport:

A sport is commonly defined as an organized, competitive, and skillful physical activity requiring commitment and fair play. It is governed by a set of rules or customs.

Hit (strike):

A strike is an attack with an inanimate object, such as a weapon, or with a part of the human body intended to cause an effect upon an opponent or to simply cause harm to an opponent.

Combat sport:

A Combat sport, also known as a Combative sport, is a competitive contact sport where two combatants fight against each other using certain rules of engagement (whereas traditional martial arts have no rules), typically with the aim of simulating parts of real hand to hand combat.

Can you read those 3 words and their meaning? You arent suppose to hurt people in a ****ing sport. Its about competition. Being a child and calling football "a sissified version of another European game called Rugby" shows you have never played one (or any) of the sports talked in this thread in a competitive and professional form.

Even in rugby, do you get points or win for hitting your opponent? The point of rugby is to score, not hit. I believe the real idiots are rugby players, not football players.

In ALMOST every sport in the world, your foot is used in one way or the other: baseball, soccer, football, swimming, hockey, etc.

You do know that a "hockey puck" is also called a "hockey ball" even though it is not round right........

Aren't the English the people who created the language...

That is a whole nother topic that I suggest you make another thread because it can get out of hand....

My opinion is that football is football when Im in the US and american football when Im out. When Im in europe, football is soccer.

Lets watch a football game = Lets watch a soccer game

Its stupid to debate about this.

People are ****ing morons....

Sport:

A sport is commonly defined as an organized, competitive, and skillful physical activity requiring commitment and fair play. It is governed by a set of rules or customs.

Hit (strike):

A strike is an attack with an inanimate object, such as a weapon, or with a part of the human body intended to cause an effect upon an opponent or to simply cause harm to an opponent.

Combat sport:

A Combat sport, also known as a Combative sport, is a competitive contact sport where two combatants fight against each other using certain rules of engagement (whereas traditional martial arts have no rules), typically with the aim of simulating parts of real hand to hand combat.

Can you read those 3 words and their meaning? You arent suppose to hurt people in a ****ing sport. Its about competition. Being a child and calling football "a sissified version of another European game called Rugby" shows you have never played one (or any) of the sports talked in this thread in a competitive and professional form.

Even in rugby, do you get points or win for hitting your opponent? The point of rugby is to score, not hit. I believe the real idiots are rugby players, not football players.

In ALMOST every sport in the world, your foot is used in one way or the other: baseball, soccer, football, swimming, hockey, etc.

You do know that a "hockey puck" is also called a "hockey ball" even though it is not round right........

That is a whole nother topic that I suggest you make another thread because it can get out of hand....

My opinion is that football is football when Im in the US and american football when Im out. When Im in europe, football is soccer.

Lets watch a football game = Lets watch a soccer game

Its stupid to debate about this.

This is quite possibly the single most useful and and intelligent posts in here. This thread really kinda just stirred up nothing but mindless Euro-American hate.

Have you guys even played the sport in full gear? Try it and let a guy ram you full speed and let see how sissfied you think the game is.

This. Amazing how many people think that American Football is for "*******" because of the padding. The game is played at twice the speed rugby is, hence the need for such protection.

american ignorance ftw. i dont understand what your comment means. what does beckham playing nfl have to do with anything.

People were saying that American Football is a sissy sport because they use helmets and padding. I was simply saying that even a top professional soccer (I'm using the term to differentiate it from American Football) player (and I used Beckham as an example because he is one of the few that I actually know the name of) would have a hard time playing the game because it is very rough compared to soccer. And just to clarify my point about Texas teams for those that don't know, high school teams in Texas are considered to be some of the best in the country, partly because football (American style) is a way of life in that state, not just a game.

Your username suits you very well after making that comment.

^ are you refering to league or union? Also it is played at probably one fifth of the speed of league.

The speed of the game may well be quicker in both forms of rugby, but the speed in which the American footballers travel and hit each other is much faster. Also, as somebody has already pointed out, the majority of tackling in rugby is down below the waist.