It

This. Amazing how many people think that American Football is for "*******" because of the padding. The game is played at twice the speed rugby is, hence the need for such protection.

I'm British, played soccer, rugby football, and american football. I can vouch for American Football being the toughest sport. The reason why they where padding (this is for the rugby lovers) is because in A.Football it's perfectly legal (or was) to run full speed and blindside somebody in the side of the head. Or too hit them full force while they are in mid air making a catch. A little different to rugby when you know you're only going to be hit from the front and only when you have the ball in your hands and your hands on your feet. The simple fact is pads in A.Football are used because without them more people would be crippled or dead.

People were saying that American Football is a sissy sport because they use helmets and padding. I was simply saying that even a top professional soccer (I'm using the term to differentiate it from American Football) player (and I used Beckham as an example because he is one of the few that I actually know the name of) would have a hard time playing the game because it is very rough compared to soccer. And just to clarify my point about Texas teams for those that don't know, high school teams in Texas are considered to be some of the best in the country, partly because football (American style) is a way of life in that state, not just a game.

A different build of player is required for each sport. That's like saying a jockey can't play basketball because jockeys are not tall, the point is mute because they are not related. But yeh i do get what you saying :)

The speed of the game may well be quicker in both forms of rugby, but the speed in which the American footballers travel and hit each other is much faster. Also, as somebody has already pointed out, the majority of tackling in rugby is down below the waist.

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/916396-its-football-to-you-soccer-to-me/page__view__findpost__p__592863916

I'm British, played soccer, rugby football, and american football. I can vouch for American Football being the toughest sport. The reason why they where padding (this is for the rugby lovers) is because in A.Football it's perfectly legal (or was) to run full speed and blindside somebody in the side of the head. Or too hit them full force while they are in mid air making a catch. A little different to rugby when you know you're only going to be hit from the front and only when you have the ball in your hands and your hands on your feet. The simple fact is pads in A.Football are used because without them more people would be crippled or dead.

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/916396-its-football-to-you-soccer-to-me/page__view__findpost__p__592863916

the only difference i have found is that headhunting is done(though i don't think it is legal) and also larger hits are done on a more regular basis due to the dynamic of the game. It is easily arguable to say that either of the football codes barring soccer are the toughest and as such as we can all agree to disagree.

Finally, somebody with logic in this thread.