[Apple TV] How to stream?

All articles on apple seem to be outdated and I cannot find a way to simply stream content to the Apple TV without syncing. Also, any way to do so without using iTunes?

Do you have the latest model? Sorry, I don't personally own an Apple TV

However, this is from a wiki:

Autosync with a single computer, stream from up to five

I'm not sure if you can edit plist on the device, but I was able to enable netflix and hulu for frontrow. Give me some more information, but I find it odd that nothing is available online and as you stated may be a good indication to return.

Do you have the latest model? Sorry, I don't personally own an Apple TV

However, this is from a wiki:

I'm not sure if you can edit plist on the device, but I was able to enable netflix and hulu for frontrow. Give me some more information, but I find it odd that nothing is available online and as you stated may be a good indication to return.

Everything I can find is from 2008, rarely 2009 articles, mostly 2009 info is other forums requesting help as well or complaints of iTunes 9.2 messing things up. Streaming seems to be a much larger issue (?!?!) than syncing. Just purchased from Apple Store, so, brand new.

Yea, I just noticed that myself.

Got this from mac rumors:

Hello,

I used to have the Apple TV 1.0 version back when it was released. Anyways I just bought the Apple TV 2.0 version and I am having some issues streaming my movies and music directly from my iTunes library.

I remember that on the 1.0 version I could stream videos instead of syncing. I have over 1TB in movies and cannot sync all of it to my Apple TV's 160GB Hard Drive.

My iTunes library is already connected to my Apple TV but everytime I click on "My Movies" (on the Apple TV) it says that I need to sync my movies from my iTunes library.

How can I bypass that? I do not want to copy my movies to the apple tv, just simply stream.

Thanks in advance.

In the AppleTV section of iTunes, select Custom Sync from the Summary tab. Also uncheck Show only the synced items on my AppleTV. Under the Movies tab, uncheck everything.

Alright, I will try that! I'll let ya know! I got this for my father and he was quite frustrated attempting it and packaged it back up lol

Tried the

In the AppleTV section of iTunes, select Custom Sync from the Summary tab. Also uncheck Show only the synced items on my AppleTV. Under the Movies tab, uncheck everything.

But the issue was his Mac not finding the AppleTV; resetting all settings etc.

Alright, I will try that! I'll let ya know! I got this for my father and he was quite frustrated attempting it and packaged it back up lol

Tried the

But the issue was his Mac not finding the AppleTV; resetting all settings etc.

is the apple tv on the network correctly? And if it is, I would check the firewall in OSX. Not having an apple tv it is kind of hard for me to diagnose, but regardless I would assume some type of pairing needs to be established regardless of syncing or not. Also make sure all software is up to date.

here is an article from apple dated in march EDIT: It's dated for may 2010, may be of interest to you

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1453

is the apple tv on the network correctly? And if it is, I would check the firewall in OSX. Not having an apple tv it is kind of hard for me to diagnose, but regardless I would assume some type of pairing needs to be established regardless of syncing or not. Also make sure all software is up to date.

here is an article from apple dated in march EDIT: It's dated for may 2010, may be of interest to you

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1453

Thanks. Syncing was working, we think the issue was coming up because we had multiple Mac computers turned on and the remote that came with ATV was actually signaling to ATV and both computers (dumb imo, the remote should pair with Apple TV only, not any and every Apple device in the room at once).

You can't stream and sync from different computers at the same time. If you have configured Apple TV to stream from another iTunes library, Apple TV won't be available in iTunes. Go to the Sources menu on Apple TV and select the computer you're trying to sync from.

Probably, like I said, checking multiple sources / computers at once.