Best Linux os

Looks like I'm getting a new computer and I'm rather bored of windows os

So plz gimme some suggestions on best Linux os +specs

And please no Mac/windows fanboys

,nood :D

'Father' Debian, of course. Forget about its problematic children such as *buntu distros.

Debian is not gonna be very easy to learn if he is coming straight from windows though, *buntu distros are easiest to learn from, and then yea go for a more complex distro like Debian

No such thing as the "best" linux distribution - only the one that best fits your needs.

• Like 2

Ubuntu 10.04 - Best by a long way imo

Alternative is Kubuntu 10.04 if you prefer KDE shell

Agree with this and not long to go for 10.10 to make it's debut! It just getting better and better!

Debian is not gonna be very easy to learn if he is coming straight from windows though, *buntu distros are easiest to learn from, and then yea go for a more complex distro like Debian

No Linux is easy to learn, don't fool the guy. Anyone should first know his way in Debian and later (or better - never) in *buntu. And anyway, Ubuntu's binary incompatibility is something you can't just forgive. OP, go for Deb if you want compatibility, security and stability.

I would say Arch Linux, it will install only the base and the rest is up to you either go minimal for desktop or full blown desktop environment like Gnome or KDE.

If you haven't used linux before I would suggest go with Ubuntu as it is easier and everything works out of the box so to speak. Once you are comfortable with linux and how it works, you can try other distros to see which one suits your needs the best.

Ubuntu if you just want to get your feet wet with Linux.

Debian if you have experience with Linux.

Fedora is also a good choice.

Redhat if you want to spend money.

Windows 7 if you want a real OS.

Ubuntu if you just want to get your feet wet with Linux.

Debian if you have experience with Linux.

Fedora is also a good choice.

Redhat if you want to spend money.

Windows 7 if you want a real OS.

Yeah my father insists that I set up a dualbooting system so I can have windows 7 secured on CPU while I play with other os's and you people are making ubuntu pretty appealing :D

There's a reason why Ubuntu commands the lion share of the Linux desktop market. It's definitely the first thing you should try if you're a newcomer.

Yeah my father insists that I set up a dualbooting system so I can have windows 7 secured on CPU while I play with other os's and you people are making ubuntu pretty appealing :D

Dualbooting is always a good idea. Just remember to set up Windows first, then your Linux distro + GRUB Bootloader. Setting up Linux and then Windows is messy.

Also, Linux distros are not very HDD hungry right off the bat (the OS files shouldn't take up as much space as Windows) so set up your partitions accordingly.

Ubuntu the Clearlooks theme is very simple and easy on the eyes.

Different people like different Linux distros (which is why there is more than one).

Some people want easy, some people want pretty and some people want their systems to be 2% faster than somebody else's.

All in all, Ubuntu isn't a bad place to start. I personally prefer Debian because it is a community project rather than a corporate one.

As a complete novice, I found Ubuntu newest version, the easiest transition from Windows XP.

I used the Wubi installer, which helped create a dual booting option, leaving XP completely intact in case I have to return to it.

Ubuntu also have a cool Getting Started document, which helped greatly getting a better understanding how the system works, what you get and how to install new software.