Best Linux os

Jolicloud looks pretty cool! Too bad it's netbook only, so to say... Nonetheless, I am tempted to try it on my desktop just for the fun of it ;)

lol. Let us know how that goes.

Since you're playing around with distro creators, you might want to check this article out :

Click

Some pretty good suggestions here, even though some don't meet the 'distro creator' title. Instalinux is really interesting.

Way ahead of you. That's where I found out about the distro builders. :)

which version is better - Mint x32 or x64?

is there any diff. in performance b/w them?

for 4GB RAM.

I'd go with x64 myself mainly to easily use all of your RAM. I didn't notice that much difference in performance, myself.

Arch Linux

+1, I move directly to Arch instead of trying Ubuntu. I don't like fancy stuff like windows and I love minimal / effective and CLI .

I'll try gentoo one day :)

I'm thinking of sticking ubuntu on my asus 1201n NETBOOK. Last time I played with it on my old Toshiba I remember I had a nightmare with wireless drivers. Does anyone know if that problem is fixed.and if the 1201n works well with ubuntu?

Basically just sick of Windows and want to learma new OS.

Also ways good software for my ipod nano 5th gen? Aware that itunes first work on Linux.

I'm thinking of sticking ubuntu on my asus 1201n NETBOOK. Last time I played with it on my old Toshiba I remember I had a nightmare with wireless drivers. Does anyone know if that problem is fixed.and if the 1201n works well with ubuntu?

Basically just sick of Windows and want to learma new OS.

Also ways good software for my ipod nano 5th gen? Aware that itunes first work on Linux.

From what I've read, the wireless issue is still a problem with Ubuntu 10.04, the driver is not included in the kernel. There is a workaround for Ubuntu, not sure about other distros.

Installed Mint (from usb pen), & its really niccce :D

snappier than win7 :D

as i'm completely new to Mint, i just want to know few things...

Where is the User Profile folder?

Installed Opera, now i want to copy over the browser settings from Win7 - "wand.dat" :p

Browser identification

Opera/9.80 (X11; Linux i686; U; en) Presto/2.6.30 Version/10.60

Paths

Preferences

/home/bmw/.opera/operaprefs.ini

how do i open that location (in red text)

Have to admit, Win7 has spoiled me with its Aero Snap, lol it was so funny when i was just dragging the window to screen edges (for full screen ):p

Installed Mint (from usb pen), & its really niccce :D

snappier than win7 :D

as i'm completely new to Mint, i just want to know few things...

Where is the User Profile folder?

Installed Opera, now i want to copy over the browser settings from Win7 - "wand.dat" :p

how do i open that location (in red text)

Have to admit, Win7 has spoiled me with its Aero Snap, lol it was so funny when i was just dragging the window to screen edges (for full screen ):p

If you are using the default mint then your file browser is Nautilus so open it up and press Ctrl+L it should show the location bar and just copy that address into it. Folders and I think files when you put a "." in front of the name like ".opera" make the folder or file hidden in Linux. I am sure you can get aero snap like features in the gnome desktop environment which the default mint uses but I am not sure how to do it as I use the KDE desktop environment in Arch Linux which has aero snap like features enabled by default.

If you are using the default mint then your file browser is Nautilus so open it up and press Ctrl+L it should show the location bar and just copy that address into it. Folders and I think files when you put a "." in front of the name like ".opera" make the folder or file hidden in Linux. I am sure you can get aero snap like features in the gnome desktop environment which the default mint uses but I am not sure how to do it as I use the KDE desktop environment in Arch Linux which has aero snap like features enabled by default.

thanks, such an simple thing & i was confused about it :blush:

Just set the Visual effects to Ultimate in Custom settings.

its so awesome.

the wobbly effect, cube desktop, app. awiitch in a cude... :D