Windows 7 - Microsoft Update without IE

I'm going to clean install Windows 7 tomorrow. I remove IE from Programs & Features because I never use it so when I do the initial clean up after a clean install I uncheck IE with other things. However I want to enable Microsoft Update, before I had enabled this before removing IE but I've noticed that if IE is removed first there's no way to install Microsoft Update since it requires IE to display the page to allow it to be added to the Windows Update applet.

I can't find the Installer for Microsoft Update on the Microsoft Download centre (is there even one?) so is it possible to enable Microsoft Update without IE being installed?

Windows 7 does not require IE to use Microsoft or Windows Update. Just go to the Control Panel, search for Windows Update, click on it and install any available updates. Microsoft Update is default.

Windows 7 doesn't use the built-on browser to go to the WU/MU. It is handled on a OS level. As long as you didn't use something like nlite/vilte to remove IE7 you should be ok.

Windows 7 is a lot different than XP in terms of how Windows Update works. Think of Windows 7 as having its own client for downloading and installing updates which does not require visiting the Windows Update or Microsoft Update website.

Install something like office. The first time it runs it will ask you if you want to keep it updated. if you click yes, it will install the microsoft update components and you'll see the option in windows update

No I didn't quite mean that.

What I meant was when you first install Windows you get access to Windows Update which is updates for the OS it's self but not Office and other Microsoft programs. To enable Microsoft Update on Windows Vista/7 you'd open the Windows Update control panel applet which displays a hyperlink which says "Click here to switch to Microsoft Update" or something similar. To actually do this it usually opens a Webpage which asks you if you're sure you want to use Microsoft Update. After this and accepting a UAC prompt it will enable Microsoft Update.

I've been using Windows Vista since it was released and I'm fully aware that the update system its self doesn't require IE, but to enable Microsoft Update the only way it seems to be possible to do this is to use IE first, no other browser will work as it just tells you to use the start menu to locate Windows update.

Install something like office. The first time it runs it will ask you if you want to keep it updated. if you click yes, it will install the microsoft update components and you'll see the option in windows update

I've tried that before, though it didn't actually add the Microsoft Update capability to WU. I assumed it should of though, since I usually install Office before running the first batch of updates.

I have never had any problems getting updates for ALL Microsoft programs (including Office and what have you) right from the get go. If this is an issue, just do not uninstall IE. It's not like HDD space is at that much of a premium. Its always a good idea to have multiple browsers anyways...

Actually, I'm having the same problem as the OP. Apparently, the only solution is to install back IE, get Microsoft Update, then uninstall IE again.

Actually, I'm having the same problem as the OP. Apparently, the only solution is to install back IE, get Microsoft Update, then uninstall IE again.

Just do this.

Yeah I will, it doesn't matter but I thought if there was a way around it then it would be cool.

I'll just do that and then uninstall IE.

If this is an issue, just do not uninstall IE. It's not like HDD space is at that much of a premium. Its always a good idea to have multiple browsers anyways...

It's not HDD space of course! It just makes it easier with multiple accounts since you don't have to bugger about changing the defaults like you would with 2 browsers installed.

NO, DON'T LISTEN TO THE NAYSAYERS, FOR...

CAPTAIN POWERSHELL IS HERE TO SAVE THE DAY!

To enable Microsoft Update, open a Powershell prompt as a administrator and run:

(new-object -c "microsoft.update.servicemanager").addservice2("7971f918-a847-4430-9279-4a52d1efe18d",7,"")

To disable it, do this:

(new-object -c "microsoft.update.servicemanager").removeservice("7971f918-a847-4430-9279-4a52d1efe18d")

• Like 3

To enable Microsoft Update, open a Powershell prompt as a administrator and run:

(new-object -c "microsoft.update.servicemanager").addservice2("7971f918-a847-4430-9279-4a52d1efe18d",7,"")

To disable it, do this:

(new-object -c "microsoft.update.servicemanager").removeservice("7971f918-a847-4430-9279-4a52d1efe18d")

That works, cheers.

To disable it, do this:

Totally awesome (Y)