• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Choosing between normal or carbon fibre tripod

georgevella    48

Well the thread topic says it all. I already chose a ball head, a Manfrotto 498RC2. But I can't really decide on the legs. I am a 6 footer, so that restricts the tripods I can use. I will also be moving around a lot, so it does not have to be heavy - it will be stashed on the side of my bag while moving around.

I was considering the 055XPROB (2.5kg) or the 055CXPRO4 (1.7kg), both can reach/go over 170cm (when extended). On Youtube, I've only found "review" videos for the xprob. Does anyone here have one of these and could share some info about either; how they feel, how easy and how long it takes to open them and lock them in place, any problems they have, etc.

I was reading a few forums about these and one thing they mention is the way the legs lock and extend so I am not yet 100% sure on the carbon fibre one (I would prefer a slightly heavier but faster pod than a lighter but slower one).

Thanks

G

PS: I just watched

of the Manfrotto Neotec monopod, and it looks interesting as well :s

crazzy88ss    65

well I don't know anything about either one... but...

what's the issue? Money? If you got the money, go for it.

Andre    9

Besides that carbon is lightweight, it also dampens vibrations much better than metal.

I also suggest looking into Velbon Sherpa Pro CF series or if you have the money, Gitzo carbon series.

georgevella    48

Money is not the problem; I am looking at it as a lifetime investment so I want something good and durable. The problem really is that I can't find a lot of "real-life situation" info about them (even less about the CF one). I did some more reading since posting this and the main topic really comes down on the flip-locks (in the manfrottos) vs the twist locks (in the gitzos). Another issue I have is that I can't check any of these tripods here where I live; I can't find anyone who stocks them :s

Andre    9

Although I prefer twist lock, any lock is fine if you buy a good brand.

georgevella    48

Well, just paid for the Manfrotto CF and the ball head. Hopefully it won't take long to get delivered :]

o0moonman0o    54

if money isn't a problem i recommend u get a gitzo :p