taking pictures of projected images?

basically im going to an event where there will be plenty of projected images and artifical light sources... up to now, i was thinking of a bridge camera , such as the fujifilm s1x00 series , to hopefully get some better low light performance compared to my phone camera

but could there be a better (and maybe more expensive) choice for taking pictures in this sort of situation?

For low light performance (or anything, really) nothing will beat a DSLR. The Canon T2i is relatively affordable and has very good low light performance.

Well it is important to consider the quality at a certain ISO and not just that a camera can reach that ISO number. Check for samples at given ISOs for the camera you mentioned.

My Sony Alpha A200 can reach ISO3200 but I'd never use it as it is too noisy (emergencies only, must have shots, etc). ISO1600 (with noise reduction) is about as high as I can practically go.

As for the f number, it is basically a ratio you get dividing the lens' focal length by its aperture diameter. This basically translates into how much light enters the lens (and into DoF due to more dispersed light passing through the sides)?

e.g. If the aperture on a 50mm lens were 50mm in diameter then we'd have f/1, if the aperture were 25mm in diameter then we'd have f/2, if the aperture were 12.5mm in diameter we'd have f/4 and so on...

I'd stick another vote on a cheap DSLR. Not only do you have a massive light-sensitivity advantage, the phase-detect autofocus of a DSLR will hold up to focusing on projected images a lot better than a contrast-detect Point & Shoot/Bridge camera will do.

• 2 weeks later...

okay, i just had a week with my new camera... anything above iso 400 looks noisy even on the camera's own screen

the only things the camera has , really, which my phone camera doesnt, is the large zoom, the physical image stabilization and the ability to control the shutter and aperture... and oh, recording at 1080p as well

in short, not really relevant to taking pictures of projected images

Did you end up getting the Fuji?

If you can take RAW then you could get ISO800 usable witha noise reduction program such as NoiseNinja or Lightroom 3 (both also work with JPEGs too but lose more detail)